House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Fines For No Hmo Licence

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/3k-bill-rogue-withington-landlord-5378503

Chris Paul, another Withington councillor, added: “These licences only cost £300 per year

has been hit with £300 fines for each of the four houses by Manchester magistrates , as well as £2,000 legal costs and a £30 victims’ surcharge – meaning he must pay £3,230.

declined to get so-called ‘housing in multiple occupation’ (HMO) licences despite years of requests from council officials.

£300 per year for 4 houses is 1200 so if it is more than 2.6 years he's in profit still.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/3k-bill-rogue-withington-landlord-5378503

Chris Paul, another Withington councillor, added: “These licences only cost £300 per year

has been hit with £300 fines for each of the four houses by Manchester magistrates , as well as £2,000 legal costs and a £30 victims’ surcharge – meaning he must pay £3,230.

declined to get so-called ‘housing in multiple occupation’ (HMO) licences despite years of requests from council officials.

£300 per year for 4 houses is 1200 so if it is more than 2.6 years he's in profit still.

The problem is not the cost of the licence , it`s the cost of the work that will have to be done before they issue the licence

The problem is not the cost of the licence , it`s the cost of the work that will have to be done before they issue the licence

...and what work is that?

I owned a property in a residential block of 5 flats in Hastings, we were contacted by Hastings Borough Council about 4 years ago and told we now needed a HMO licence, off the top of my head it cost us around £870 between the 5 flats, for that, Hastings Borough Council did precisely diddly squat.

I happened to sell the flat in April of this year and had to have a Fire risk assessment and asbestos assessment carried out for the sale to complete, that was supposed to be done to acquire the HMO licence, it's only a personal opinion but it's very convenient for councils to impose fees when revenues are drying up on the pretence of doing it in the name of Health and Safety.

I owned a property in a residential block of 5 flats in Hastings, we were contacted by Hastings Borough Council about 4 years ago and told we now needed a HMO licence, off the top of my head it cost us around £870 between the 5 flats, for that, Hastings Borough Council did precisely diddly squat.

"Your home is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if:

at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household

you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

"

A block of flats isnt a HMO. Sounds like you were diddled.

...and what work is that?

I happened to sell the flat in April of this year and had to have a Fire risk assessment and asbestos assessment carried out for the sale to complete, that was supposed to be done to acquire the HMO licence, it's only a personal opinion but it's very convenient for councils to impose fees when revenues are drying up on the pretence of doing it in the name of Health and Safety.

In my neck of the woods hard wired smoke alarms in each leased room, fully opening windows ( not just an opening fan light) in each leased rooms plus the standard fire safety certificate

And BTW ,as already mentioned you were in a self contained flat not a HMO so the council did very well or you done not so well

"Your home is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if:

at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household

you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

"

A block of flats isnt a HMO. Sounds like you were diddled.

I don't think I was:

Under the changes in the Housing Act 2004, the following types of building are Houses or Flats in Multiple Occupation:

1.An entire house or flat which is let to three or more tenants who form two or more households, and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet

2.A house which has been converted into bedsits or other non self-contained accommodation, and which is let to three or more tenants who form two or more households, and who share kitchen, bathroom or toilet facilities

3.A converted house which contains one or more flats which are not wholly self contained (ie the flat does not contain within it a kitchen, bathroom or toilet) and which is occupied by three or more tenants who form two or more households

4.A building which is converted entirely into self contained flats, but the conversion did not meet the standards of the 1991 Building Regulations, and less than two thirds of the flats are owner occupied

http://www.hastings.gov.uk/housing_tax_benefits/improving_homes/houses_multiple_occupation/what/

Edited by Ungeared

I don't think I was:

Under the changes in the Housing Act 2004, the following types of building are Houses or Flats in Multiple Occupation:

1.An entire house or flat which is let to three or more tenants who form two or more households, and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet

2.A house which has been converted into bedsits or other non self-contained accommodation, and which is let to three or more tenants who form two or more households, and who share kitchen, bathroom or toilet facilities

3.A converted house which contains one or more flats which are not wholly self contained (ie the flat does not contain within it a kitchen, bathroom or toilet) and which is occupied by three or more tenants who form two or more households

4.A building which is converted entirely into self contained flats, but the conversion did not meet the standards of the 1991 Building Regulations, and less than two thirds of the flats are owner occupied

http://www.hastings.gov.uk/housing_tax_benefits/improving_homes/houses_multiple_occupation/what/

If that is the case you got of lightly as the current HMO requirements will be more costly/stringent than the standards of 1991 building regs that your place did not meet

If that is the case you got of lightly as the current HMO requirements will be more costly/stringent than the standards of 1991 building regs that your place did not meet

I understand that completely and also wouldn't comment if I hadn't known the facts regarding what fell into the HMO categories, my main point was that I felt certain councils weren't fulfilling their obligations regarding the issuing of HMO certs, from memory I believe ours was issued with conditions, 4 years later nothing had been chased up, it was one of the reasons why I sold the place... I think I did get off lightly, I'm happy to declare I sold it to a obnoxious BTL landlord :D

This guy paid considerably more for more serious breaches, remained an independent coincillor for about 6 months prior to joining UKIP!

Conviction:

October 2012:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-news/featured-stories/2012/10/24/cheshire-east-councillor-brian-silvester-slapped-with-huge-fine-over-fire-safety-breaches-96135-32090172/

Joins UKIP:

June 2013:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-news/local-crewe-news/2013/06/26/nantwich-councillor-brian-silvester-joins-ukip-saying-its-time-for-fresh-start-96135-33525496/

I wrote to Paul Nuttall, my UKIP MEP about recruiting Mr Silvester, and no response ever arrived. A real shame imo.

This guy paid considerably more for more serious breaches, remained an independent coincillor for about 6 months prior to joining UKIP!

Conviction:

October 2012:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-news/featured-stories/2012/10/24/cheshire-east-councillor-brian-silvester-slapped-with-huge-fine-over-fire-safety-breaches-96135-32090172/

Joins UKIP:

June 2013:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-news/local-crewe-news/2013/06/26/nantwich-councillor-brian-silvester-joins-ukip-saying-its-time-for-fresh-start-96135-33525496/

I wrote to Paul Nuttall, my UKIP MEP about recruiting Mr Silvester, and no response ever arrived. A real shame imo.

Thank you

my last two tweets sent to Cllr Silvester

evil_teddy_bear_normal.jpgTimebandit ‏

Landlord @CllrBSilvester convicted for putting his tenants at risk.Tweets now he is delaying new houses being built. http://nantwich-news.co.uk/wordpress/2012/10/24/willaston-councillor-brian-silvester-to-keep-position-despite-conviction/

evil_teddy_bear_normal.jpg disgusting @CllrBSilvester should resign.No room for a slum landlord in our party UKIP http://trunc.it/nsk5v "@GawainTowler @Nigel_Farage
Edited by timebandit

Thank you

my last two tweets sent to Cllr Silvester

Good on you, I've followed suit, including LibLabCon twitter feeds and the Beeb. It's barmy that this guy was allowed to join imo, after all the crap they had with people with shady pasts who deceived the party or couldn't be checked due to resource limits, they welcome a convicted criminal with open arms, crazy.