House Price Crash Forum

Tory Proposals To Allow Shoppers To Park On Double-Yellow Lines For 15 Minute 'grace Period'

In my town the centre is bus only. I suppose people could park up by any shops in the one way system. 15 mins would probably create big jams removing a lane. If its a popular shop then its a replacement car every 15 mins? Wilkos ?

I used to go out with a girl who's family house and drive was right opposite a busy small supermarket shop. not really enough parking nearby and people would often just park on the no parking hatchings outside the house and pop in to buy a few snacks/beers or whatever. trouble is it meant people would be forever parking there and making it a pain in the **** to get cars in and out, had the occasional run in with shoppers who'd say "I'd only been there for a minute/s!" (yeah you and every other ******er!)

I really think that the Coalition should employ a 10-year-old to check their policies for being completely stupid

Wait, would the 10 year old be vetoing the stupid policies or the non-stupid policies? I only ask because it feels like the Coalition actually wants stupid policies. I assume they play well with the focus groups or something.

As time goes by it will become increasingly obvious that the politicians as a whole have been largely introducing laws and exclusions primarily for other intentions than the ones stated. revnue earning and fleecing the population for themelves or on behalf of others. Restricting parking and travel through towns being a case in point, driving income from ever increasing parking charges.

Maybe one day the mask will slip comepletely.

This is a stupid policy. 15 minutes is no use for anyone. They would do better to restore free parking to towns, terminate all those NCP (and similar) contracts. Two hours minimum free parking. 'Desperate actions of a desperate government' Mr Osbourne.

Aberystwyth had no parking enforcement for a year after it was taken out of the police's hands. The local Chamber of Commerce was soon howling for the council to employ enforcement bods. Cars were just parked any old where, the traffic was blocked as often as not, people started avoiding the town.

Try driving along a main route into Cardiff past the bingo hall when the old and idle are being picked up by rellies and taxis, parked along 200-400 yards of double yellows. Takes forever.

Some parts of Spain have no parking restrictions you can park where you want. No problems and it seems to work with no people parking stupidly. Why can't people in the UK use their common sense>?

Edited by Spoony

I'd love to see Herr Pickles doing this 15 minutes jeux sans frontier parking challenge, with or without driver.

How it would save the high street (if it needs saving, which is debateable) is beyond my comprehension.

What can you buy in under 15 mins? Copy of Loaded and a packet of fags?

The '15 minutes' figure is not arbitrary.

It is the time it takes for Pickles to get out of his car, waddle across the the pavement, buy a pie at Greggs and return to the vehicle.

He would have suggested 20 minutes, but he has no intention of parking another 5 yards from Greggs.

The '15 minutes' figure is not arbitrary.

It is the time it takes for Pickles to get out of his car, waddle across the the pavement, buy a pie at Greggs and return to the vehicle.

He would have suggested 20 minutes, but he has no intention of parking another 5 yards from Greggs.

Cameron has vehemently denied that this is the intention behind the policy. It can equally be used to purchase those Celtic Pasty things or whatever they're called.

Lets face it

We have jammed our country up with immigrants, there is no room, now the consequences are coming home to roost.

It's true, and we're at the point where it's no longer considered "racist" to point that out.

Pathetic. The only thing worse than having too many rules, is having too many rules with lots of arbitrary exceptions. Most likely we will end up with lots of contested parking tickets over whether it was 15 minutes or not.

It will be a boon for the Daily Mail's ironic celeb stories though. "Helen Flanagan: They said my 15 minutes were over!"

As time goes by it will become increasingly obvious that the politicians as a whole have been largely introducing laws and exclusions primarily for other intentions than the ones stated. revnue earning and fleecing the population for themelves or on behalf of others. Restricting parking and travel through towns being a case in point, driving income from ever increasing parking charges.

Maybe one day the mask will slip comepletely.

It's a classic Westminister village problem..

Part of this is that the headline rate of income tax can never go up - a belief seemingly held by all the main parties. So extra revenue has to come through 'stealth taxes', fiddling at the edge (making things more complex), and finding things to fine.

They've gone right overboard with the double yellow lines recently. In actual fact it's since the economic collapse and also since council taxes were frozen - and the new lines have nothing to do with traffic flow etc.

Roads previously with no yellow lines at all and in fact no yellow lines and no other parking restrictions ever have now apparently become so flow challenged that they now warrant the full double yellow line treatment both sides - even though the traffic volume and general circumstances haven't changed.

Rather than traffic flow etc the paramount reason for the newly created extra yellow line zones seems to be to push people into the nearby newly created car parks that charge for parking.

Just as an aside some roads previously with free parking have now become Permit Holders only - another revenue raiser since the economic collapse and the freezing of council taxes.

So roads that provided free parking have transitioned into double yellow line No Parking roads and now they're going to allow 15 minutes parking but the clincher (of course) is that the 15 minutes will subject to possible fines.

Their problem was that as parking everywhere became either stringent No Parking or had a charge attached there's been no way to raise extra parking revenue apart from raising charges and they've already done that and with even every patch of derelict scrubland having a parking fee

Double yellows - another source of revenue. Genius.

Edited by billybong