House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Pope Offers One Hell Of A Deal

I don't know which is worse - that he actually believes this or that they think that Catholics are so stupid en masse that they will believe it.

When, exactly, did God inform the Pope that people will get time off in purgatory for following the Pope on twitter - was it during a game of angry birds?

I don't know which is worse - that he actually believes this

I agree, it did surprise me that such ancient beliefs could be resurrected in the 21 st century.. Meanwhile an artist's impression of purgatory where souls have to be cleansed in the burning furnace......Think I would be wanting a bit of time off from that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Folio_113v_-_Purgatory.jpg

Francis has been busy.

Yesterday he has had 3 million people turn out to see him in Brazil. Today he has gone against Benedict XVI's declaration that men with homosexual tendencies should not become priests, by offering "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/30/world/europe/pope-francis-gay-priests.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

Later this morning Francis confirmed that the notion of women priests was a "definitive" no, although he would like them to have more leadership roles in its administration and pastoral activities. I read this as secretary's, careers and cleaners are womens work (thanks pope :huh: )

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/07/29/pope-women-priests-idINDEE96S08D20130729

But if you follow him on Twitter you get a reduction on your time in purgatory?

I'm confused :o

Vatican officials, noted however, that to obtain indulgences over the internet or otherwise, believers would first have to confess their sins, offer prayers and attend Mass.

“You can't obtain indulgences like getting a coffee from a vending machine,” Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, head of the pontifical council for social communication, told the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

They're missing a trick there.

They could use the money from selling indulgences via vending machines to offset the losses from court settlements for abusing children. A bit like Barclays is going to tap its shareholders to fund their criminal misselliing of PPI, rate swaps and rigging LIBOR.

They could use the money from selling indulgences via vending machines to offset the losses from court settlements for abusing children. A bit like Barclays is going to tap its shareholders to fund their criminal misselliing of PPI, rate swaps and rigging LIBOR.

:lol::lol::lol: .

Hope the Vatican doesn't see this idea - it'll happen :(

:lol::lol::lol: .

Hope the Vatican doesn't see this idea - it'll happen :(

If I were of a Vatican mindset I'd certainly implement it.

In the good old days Catholic bishops, cardinals and popes used to flog off indulgences, exactly like flogging coffee from a vending machine, partly to recoup the bribes they had made to get into office

Purgatory as a physical state of being, invented in the 11th/12th century with no basis in scripture. Reached it's peak of profitability under Pope Leo X, paid for construction of St Peters in Rome, disgusted so many people it helped kick off the Reformation.

In the good old days Catholic bishops, cardinals and popes used to flog off indulgences, exactly like flogging coffee from a vending machine, partly to recoup the bribes they had made to get into office

Purgatory as a physical state of being, invented in the 11th/12th century with no basis in scripture. Reached it's peak of profitability under Pope Leo X, paid for construction of St Peters in Rome, disgusted so many people it helped kick off the Reformation.

Yes, Mr Mahoney! I always find it hard to believe that Catholicism is older than Ford! They have both made a few mistakes! :o