House Price Crash Forum
silver surfer

Science To The Rescue!

Great OP. I was talking about this with the wife earlier today and the implications it will have.

This bit is key:

They also found that synthetic meat needs 99 per cent less land than livestock, between 82 and 96 per cent less water, and produces between 78 and 95 per cent less greenhouse gas. In terms of relative environmental damage, there was no contest.

That you don't have to grow animals to kill is also huge from an ethical perspective. I would imagine that growing animals to kill would be seen as barbaric, if you could just grow the meat without harming anything.

Once we have cracked a new cheap energy source, growing plants vertically will also be possible. Horizontal farming would likely be consider rather inefficient in contrast.

Combine the two and there is a lot of land that no longer needs farming. Would they reforest? Would it become easier to get planning in the country? Some very interesting changes would happen when the majority of food (animals and crops) start to move from fields to factories.

Workers will eat sausages grown in test tubes, leaving the rest of the land free for pheasant shooting.

Even better, you could flavour said sausage to taste like human flesh!

Sorry couldn't help correcting it...

Workers will eat sausages grown in test tubes, leaving the rest of the land free for pheasant shooting.

The price?

Exactly. I grow mammalian cells in plastic dishes for a living. The juice we feed them costs around £30/litre and is made from products generated by the food and chemical industries which require lots of land and oil to produce. You also need expensive machinery to keep the cells sterile and at the right temperature, CO2/O2 etc.

If only there was a mammalian cell culture machine which had some kind of system to protect the edible muscle cells from microorganisms and which could also regulate its own temperature and exchange CO2/O2 with the atmosphere. Oh that's right, it already exists and is called a cow.

No thanks. I'll stick with paying what seems like a king's ransom for grass fed, quality meat. What on earth is the nutrient content of this shit? Does it contain any protein? Any fat? Any vitamins or minerals? Any creatine, CLA? Anything good for you???

What on earth is the nutrient content of this shit? Does it contain any protein? Any fat? Any vitamins or minerals? Any creatine, CLA? Anything good for you???

Since these cells have been differentiated into muscle cells they should contain muscle proteins like actin and myosin. As cells they will also contain lipid membranes. The liquid they are grown in will presumably contain vitamins and minerals that the cells need to survive in vitro and some of these will end up in the final product. I'm sure there must be lots of differences relative to muscle tissue from a cow but I'm sure this stuff would be "nutritious" in the sense of containing biochemicals and energy that your body could use.

Since these cells have been differentiated into muscle cells they should contain muscle proteins like actin and myosin. As cells they will also contain lipid membranes. The liquid they are grown in will presumably contain vitamins and minerals that the cells need to survive in vitro and some of these will end up in the final product. I'm sure there must be lots of differences relative to muscle tissue from a cow but I'm sure this stuff would be "nutritious" in the sense of containing biochemicals and energy that your body could use.

I'm sure you could survive on it, the same way as you could survive on tins of Spam, but I can't see how that could be a healthy source of meat.