House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Uk Protests To Spain Over Gibraltar Border Traffic Delays

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23482549

The UK government has protested to Spain about long delays at the border with Gibraltar.

The Gibraltar government had said Spain created "deliberate hold-ups" to traffic travelling to and from the British territory and Spain over the weekend and Friday.

Foreign Secretary William Hague called the Spanish Foreign Minister on Sunday to express "serious concerns".

It follows earlier accusations of Spanish incursions into British waters.

This all seems a bit pointless over a bit of fecking rock.

God forbid anyone asks what the people who live there want!

It's almost as if the Spanish govt need a distraction from their economy.

This is nothing new. Speaking to people who lived there in the 80/90s. I was told that the default practice for Spain during diplomatic tussles, was to cause traffic delays at the border.

Usually park up on the spanish side and walk over ...Its a pig parking in the gib anyway ...more cars than parking places

And heaven forbid the Spanish would return Ceuta, Melilla and Perejil to the Moroccans...

That's what I always say to Spaniards when they bring up Gibraltar (I have quite a few Spanish friends) - they soon go quiet. The local town of La Linea is pretty much economically dependent on Gibraltar also.

Still, traffic delays is nothing - I remember the days when the border was properly closed and families had to shout to eachother across no man's land just to keep in touch.

That's what I always say to Spaniards when they bring up Gibraltar (I have quite a few Spanish friends) - they soon go quiet. The local town of La Linea is pretty much economically dependent on Gibraltar also.

Still, traffic delays is nothing - I remember the days when the border was properly closed and families had to shout to eachother across no man's land just to keep in touch.

That sounds like Glasgow! :blink:

Funnily enough I had dinner with a Spanish colleague a week ago. He brought up Gibralter and asked when are we giving it back. He seemed to strongly believe a deal was done within one of the EU treaties, where running disputes had to be settled, Gibraltar, Cyprus and some other borders in Eastern Europe.

He said the Spanish press had been alive with talk of taking back Gib. Hinted at some kind of forced action and that "I would see!!".

Now I do know for a 100% fact that a TA Battalion was on 24hr notice to deploy to Gib during the 1991 Desert Storm period, fully tooled up, due to a build up of Spanish forces across the border. Nothing came of it, but these guys definitely see Gib as theirs and the latins have a very romantic/tragic view of their history, we were robbed etc, just like the Argies and the Falklands. Normally these ideas are best put to them in the press, cinema, tv when their government want to deflect the spotlight from economic issues.

I can see with so many young men out of work and the obvious diversionary benefits for Spanish population at large would be considerable. Also start of the MPs holiday season is the perfect time for a crisis...Hope the politicos don't overlook it and the shooting starts :ph34r:

Would we give up Gib? Wasn't there a referendum ?

Would we give up Gib? Wasn't there a referendum ?

I think they have had 2 and decided they want to remain as they are both times. Naturally if the EU is involved they'll be asked repeatedly until the correct answer is given?

The thing that's screwing Gibraltar is that because it's part of the UK and therefore it's not in Schengen so there has to be a defended border with all the checks that are associated with it. EU free movement still involves car and passport checks, it's Schengen that people are thinking of when it comes to driving across borders with zero intervention.

The UK likes the convenience of the military airstrip but many of the locals don't consider themselves British. Some of the UK-British-origin do, but the Spanish-type ones don't. I will get slaughtered for calling Gibraltarian people "Spanish-type" but they are the most Andalucian-Spanish people you could ever meet without them having a Spanish passport and there are 1000s of them. I have no idea why they all speak Spanish in public if they want people to think of them as British.

I don't see anything wrong with say 75 years of shared UK-Spanish sovereignty.

Maybe they will take it over then the UK will ban all travel and flights to Spain.

Spanish economy collapses and they get to blame the UK for it. Even though it was

going to anyway.

Civil uprising, they leave the euro, dictators, Top Gear Christmas Special, etc.

Surely every now and then they're going to have a crackdown, otherwise there wouldn't be any point having border controls in the first place. But the media has to dress it up as some sort of major issue ?

There has been a lot in the news recently about Spain and its incursions into gibralter territory. But just maybe the reason for that is that there is an increase in criminal activity, rather than issues over sovereignty.