House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Egypt: Scores Killed As Army Launches Offensive Against Muslim Brotherhood

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/27/egypt-muslim-brotherhood-morsi-supporters-killed

Egyptian security forces and armed men in plain clothes killed scores of Muslim Brotherhood protesters on Saturday as the brutal and organised crackdown on the Islamist party and its supporters appeared to be gathering pace.

In what may turn out to be one of the worst single mass killings in Egypt since the fall of president Hosni Mubarak two-and-a-half years ago, it was claimed that more than 100 Brotherhood supporters were shot and killed on the fringes of a sit-in at a Cairo mosque demanding the return of former president Mohamed Morsi, who was deposed on 3 July. Government officials claim that the number who died was 65.

The deaths came as men in helmets and black police fatigues fired on crowds gathered before dawn on the fringes of a round-the-clock sit-in near a mosque in north-east Cairo, Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood movement said.

"They are not shooting to wound, they are shooting to kill," said Brotherhood spokesman Gehad el-Haddad. "The bullet wounds are in the head and chest."

Is Egypt about to go the same way as Syria and end up in a civil war?

It certainly appears to be spinning out of control slowly.

Entirely predictable. Wait til Ramadan is over and then the entire MENA region goes up. Should be good for my oil shares but little else.

US 'recovery' is going to struggle again this year methinks. ;)

US+Manufacturing+PMI.PNG

Sadly, it looks that way. Tunisia seems to be kicking off again as well.

The Yanks have supplied the Egyptian military with vast amounts of modern helios, fighters, tanks so it will be interesting to see how a Yank equipped state - Egypt - deals with civil war compared to a Russian equipped one - Syria.

I hate writing it in those terms as the harsh reality is going to mean an awful lot of dead people and loads of people grieving at lost loved ones. I hope it does not come to civil war but it almost seem inevitable now - this great clash between secular muslims and fundamentalist muslims.

Someone seems to have a very strong interest in keeping most MENA countries in turmoil (if not outright civil war)...

It certainly isn't a coincidence that within days the leader of a major Tunisian political party and a prominent Libyan political activist and Muslim Brotherhood critic[1] get shot dead and all this while the situation in Egypt is deteriorating.

I know of only one country in the region which benefits from its neighbours being kept weak by internal war and turmoil and that recently explicitly stated that they don't want strong (both economically and politically) neighbours...

[1] http://rt.com/news/libya-jail-escape-inmates-686/

Hundreds took to the streets of Lybian cities overnight to denounce the killing of prominent political activist and Muslim Brotherhood critic Abdelsalam Al-Mosmary.

Al-Mosmary was killed by unknown assailants in a drive-by shooting on Friday as he was leaving a mosque in Benghazi. Two military officials were also reportedly killed on the same day in that eastern Libyan city.

---

I know of only one country in the region which benefits from its neighbours being kept weak by internal war and turmoil and that recently explicitly stated that they don't want strong (both economically and politically) neighbours...

I know! I know!

It's Saudi isn't it!

but there's Israel as well. So that makes two.

So, what's been going on in Syria has been rebadged as a civil war at some point in recent history then? I missed that subtle change in language. So much for it being a mass uprising of 'the people' against Assad's 'regime'.

Personally, I haven't the faintest ****ing idea what's going on in Tunisia, or Egypt. However, I'm well impressed that folk are still happy to repeat, without reservation, the narratives spun by the corporate media. What with those narratives having turned out to be BS, time and time again.

I know! I know!

It's Saudi isn't it!

Well I clearly meant the latter, Saudi isn't known for messing with their neighbours by using false flag assassinations (Saudi normally uses money for influence), while the Israeli secret service is rather well known for that.

So, what's been going on in Syria has been rebadged as a civil war at some point in recent history then? I missed that subtle change in language. So much for it being a mass uprising of 'the people' against Assad's 'regime'.

I don't know who uses which badges, but if what's going on in Syria is not a civil war (with added foreign interference) then I don't know what. Assad wouldn't still be in power if he didn't have the support of a large enough part of the population.

However, I'm well impressed that folk are still happy to repeat, without reservation, the narratives spun by the corporate media. What with those narratives having turned out to be BS, time and time again.

Huh? Who are you referring to? What I'm saying is hardly what the corporate media are writing... :rolleyes:

Huh? Who are you referring to? What I'm saying is hardly what the corporate media are writing... :rolleyes:

If you are not repeating corporate narratives then there's a good chance I am not referring to you.

You are, however, repeating alternative media narratives.

afaic these statements are untrue...

- everything is a false flag

- the Israelis/ Zionists are responsible for all the bad things that happens in the region

whereas in the alternative media these are generally taken as a given, no evidence required

For sure, the recent chaos in the region has been consistent with the 'Yinon Plan' for a Balkanized Muslim world.

However, is that 100% down to Zionist fiendishness and interference or is it a predictable consequence of Arab factionalism and foolishness, no interference required?

Or maybe, a combination of a bit of both?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war

The Syrian civil war, also called the Syrian uprising,[50] is an ongoing armed conflict in Syria between forces loyal to the Syrian Ba'ath Party government and those seeking to oust it. The conflict began on 15 March 2011, with popular demonstrations that grew nationwide by April 2011

Dec 2011 LA Times

Syria unrest: a popular uprising or civil war?

March 2013 Al Jazeera

Syria: Uprising, revolution or civil war?

Two years after peaceful protests called for political reform, thousands are dead and millions are displaced.

When does a uprising become a civil war? Personally I think it was always a civil war but the language used to describe these situations is always interesting.

I call on all true believers from the UK to travel to Egypt and fight holy Jihad in support of their Muslim brothers being slaughtered by... um.... some other less beardy Muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war

Dec 2011 LA Times

Syria unrest: a popular uprising or civil war?

March 2013 Al Jazeera

Syria: Uprising, revolution or civil war?

Two years after peaceful protests called for political reform, thousands are dead and millions are displaced.

When does a uprising become a civil war? Personally I think it was always a civil war but the language used to describe these situations is always interesting.

I don't deny that some media made reference to 'civil war' two years back. However, the prevailing narrative has been that of a populist uprising being brutally put down by a minority regime.

Equally, a few corporate media did make passing reference to Islamic loonbobs being armed and trucked into Syria as far back as a couple of years ago. However, the prevailing narrative is that the non-Syrian Islamic loonbobs have only appeared as a significant factor on the scene relatively recently.

I recall one ex-poster on this forum, a very outspoken critic of Muslim extremism and Al-Qaeda, declaring on one thread a couple of years ago 'We must arm Free Syrian Army immediately!' and throwing a fit when I pointed to probable connections between the FSA and the Islamists he was always w@nking on about.

afaic there are elements of a staged destabilisation to this Syrian business; not just a straightforward civil war, with foreign powers (including other Arab nations) feeding fighters and weapons into Syria.

I call on all true believers from the UK to travel to Egypt and fight holy Jihad in support of their Muslim brothers being slaughtered by... um.... some other less beardy Muslims.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

From the Telegraph a few days ago...

Disillusioned by the Islamist twist that the "revolution" in Syria has taken, exhausted after more than two years of conflict and feeling that they are losing, growing numbers of rebels are signing up to a negotiated amnesty offered by the Assad regime.

An 'Islamist twist', how very unexpected.

An 'Islamist twist', how very unexpected. :o

Is that a special dance track?

An 'Islamist twist', how very unexpected.

I wonder if the freedom fighters have suddenly realised their comrades in arms are hoping to introduce a govt just as "bad" as the one they are trying to overthrow and have come to the conclusion they might as well keep the status quo which might be a lot better than what might replace it?

I wonder if the freedom fighters have suddenly realised their comrades in arms are hoping to introduce a govt just as "bad" as the one they are trying to overthrow and have come to the conclusion they might as well keep the status quo which might be a lot better than what might replace it?

Replacing a secular government that protects minority rights with a chaotic mess instigated by repressive Arab monarchies and the West? What's not to like?

I have been impressed by the sheer number of shameless 'try ons' that have been laid down on us in an attempt to generate Western popular support for f**king Syria over

...alleged Syrian government massacres, Turkish planes allegedly being shot down outside of Syrian airspace, the Syrian government using poison gas, the Syrian government shelling Turkey...

In other news, the BBC reports on media spin in Egypt. Not by the BBC or any other corporate news media, obviously...

BBC: Altered Images: Egypt's disinformation war

So many faked images are circulating in Egypt that Facebook sites have been set up with the goal of separating fact from fiction, writes BBC Monitoring's Dina Aboughazala.

the Syrian government using poison gas,

UN chemical weapons experts in Syria

I wonder if they have been briefed to come up with the answer the US wants. Hans Blix didn't appear to deliver the correct findings with Iraq.

UN's Del Ponte says evidence Syria rebels 'used sarin'

Syrian rebels may have used chemical weapon in Aleppo, says Russia

Although it's hard to work out what is the truth with chemical weapons with both sides being accused. However as we know psychologically in the narrative the first claim is the most important and I bet most people hold the view that it's just the Syrian govt using chemical weapons. Subsequent revisions won't be assimilated.

Although it's hard to work out what is the truth with chemical weapons with both sides being accused. However as we know psychologically in the narrative the first claim is the most important and I bet most people hold the view that it's just the Syrian govt using chemical weapons. Subsequent revisions won't be assimilated.

My take is that the Syrian government was winning the conflict, didn't need to use exotic weapons and would have to have been deaf, blind and terminally stupid to supply the West with the pretext to bomb the sh1t out of Syria it's been gagging for.

If you are not repeating corporate narratives then there's a good chance I am not referring to you.

You are, however, repeating alternative media narratives.

afaic these statements are untrue...

- everything is a false flag

- the Israelis/ Zionists are responsible for all the bad things that happens in the region

whereas in the alternative media these are generally taken as a given, no evidence required

For sure, the recent chaos in the region has been consistent with the 'Yinon Plan' for a Balkanized Muslim world.

However, is that 100% down to Zionist fiendishness and interference or is it a predictable consequence of Arab factionalism and foolishness, no interference required?

Or maybe, a combination of a bit of both?

To be fair, Globalresearch has been running with the pipelinestan narrative for Syria. See this, this, this, this or this

To be fair, Globalresearch has been running with the pipelinestan narrative for Syria. See this, this, this, this or this

The perils of generalisation on my part. Yes, Global Research and some other alternative media characters such as Sibel Edmonds often offer nuanced, 'multi-polar' analyses.

I was in Egypt, just before the original revolution two years ago, and then immediately after! There were soldiers and tanks, but it all seemed good natured! I don't think it so safe now! :blink:

I know! I know!

It's Saudi isn't it!

but the wahabi elements of saudi arabia are going to join in on this one too........against the advice of US and UK.

and it's going to get very,very nasty.

..and our response when things get rough,as I have said before(france will back us up in this melee), is going to provoke international outrage....this being the cement which hands turkey and iran the much-desired caliphate.

russia I hope will see a bit of sense and jettison the southern "stans", and let syria,lebanon etc fight it out amongst themselves,in favour of a "northern russia coupled with a reannexation of a couple of the baltics, and possibly greece and cyprus).

I hope.would be the best outcome.and EU needs to reform....again northern/southern split with the north going into 4 governships.

USA should merge with britain,canada and ireland and go independent.

yes but to be fair I don't see nations like india as being to much of a problem.

they don't have this "convert or die" mentality...they are quite mellow as nations go.

china on the other hand are very disciplined,very shrewd businessmen and have the capacity to be utterly ruthless....as russia would probably find out if they ended up committing too many of their own troops into the middle east and losing most of them.

mother russia would get savaged.that's why I hope they will exercise a bit of restraint and common sense with the situation in the middle east.a couple of their generals already know this is a very high-stakes game of poker,and it's not worth them losing their lives or their country for an ideaology they are only involved with as a matter of convenience.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-03/egypt-verge-engineered-civil-war

For thousands of years, Egypt has been one of the primary pillars of the Eastern world. When Egypt falls into turmoil, a shockwave is felt by all other nations that heralds great change and perhaps even great catastrophe. The West's longtime interest in maintaining a solid foothold in Egypt is based on this reality; even in our modern age, when Egypt is in your corner riches can be accumulated, and power can be gathered.

Our government along with European governments have gone to incredible lengths in the region in order to ensure Egyptian compliance. In the 1940's and 1950's, Britain sought to dominate the country through force of arms. The U.S. set out to buy Egypt with massive foreign aid as well as military subsidies for leaders that held pro-western views. However, it appears that in the quest for “globalization”, western interests now see a destabilized and violent Egypt as more useful to the grand plan. The Egyptian revolution in 2011 which highlighted what many call the “Arab Spring” was heavily manipulated by U.S. and European governments, but such sociopolitical engineering is still limited to the whims of the target population.

No one can create a revolution or civil war out of thin air. Years or even decades of popular angst and anger has to be fostered. The citizenry must already be near the tipping point of mass dissent. Globalists do not make revolutions occur, they simply find a revolution already brewing, and then attempt to direct the preexisting energy of the populace towards an end result that benefits the establishment the most.

Egypt is now ripe for internal conflict far beyond civil disobedience into the realm of Syrian-style civil war, and I believe our government is well aware that such a calamity is brewing...

The ousting of President Hosni Mubarak was driven in part by a distaste amongst the general Egyptian public for the U.S. government's influence over the political dichotomy of their society. U.S. funding had, in their view, given foundational support to Mubarak's reign, which had resorted to police brutality, martial law, lack of free elections, crackdowns on free speech, and corruption in order to retain control. This coupled with high unemployment and price inflation inevitably led to citizen dissent, which saw the U.S. as a staunch ally of their abusive oligarchy.

More at the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23700663

Egypt's presidency has declared a state of emergency after scores of people were killed when security forces stormed protest camps in Cairo.

The camps had been occupied by supporters of former president Mohammed Morsi, who was deposed in early July.

Security forces say 95 people have been killed, but the Muslim Brotherhood says hundreds have died.

The state of emergency will begin at 16:00 local time (1400 GMT), and last for a month.

So the security forces declare an emergency after creating a situation which requires a state of emergency?