House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Parachute Jump

Seeing as HPC knows all...

Wanted to do a parachute jump in 2008. Missed my chance, never got round to doing it in the end. Now been offered one, but the idea scares the shit out of me now for some reason.

Whaddya think would help? Hypnosis?

Just do it. You probably won't die.

I did a tandem jump in New Zealand a few years ago, from 15,000 feet. I think it was about a minute of freefall. The two worst bits were the inital stomach lurching drop out of the plane, and then the g-forces when we did some tight turns with the parachute. Awesome experience though!

I was once given the advice "Never jump out of an aeroplane with fully functioning engines" and that seems logical to me. ;)

I did a tandem jump in New Zealand a few years ago, from 15,000 feet. I think it was about a minute of freefall. The two worst bits were the inital stomach lurching drop out of the plane, and then the g-forces when we did some tight turns with the parachute. Awesome experience though!

I did a couple of jumps years ago.

There weren't any 'worst bits'. it was great.

Go for it.

Actually I agree with Harry! :blink:

I've wanted to do one for a couple of years, but I need to see the doctor first to ask if I'm likely to either die of agony or permanently deafen myself through imploded ear drums. I suffer quite badly on planes when landing, so I'm assuming a 10,000 drop at terminal velocity might be slightly more painful.

But as to your question - only one thing will cure the fear and that's doing it. You only live once, and if it all goes wrong, it's a hell of a way to die.

But as to your question - only one thing will cure the fear and that's doing it.

True. I might have to pay them extra to kick me out the door though :lol:

Think long and hard about where you do it and the mentality of the people doing the training.

There are lots of ex military types running parachute training and, IMPO, some of them see every new trainee as an attempt to ridicule their masuclinity - such people are best avoided IMPO. You don't want to be cacking it in the jump plane whilst some ex-corporal is sat alongside you calling you a puff and a nancy boy for hesitating.

Likewise, there are others who have perhaps a bit too laid back approach to sky diving - best avoided also. You know the ones, they seem like extras from Hair or Jesus Christ Superstar.

The most important thing is finding a school who emphasise safety, safety, safety AND who offer a supportive motivational attitude - it is rare to find such places IMPO.

Why go straight to 10,000 ft - did someone buy you a gift voucher for a week in Hereford?

Think long and hard about where you do it and the mentality of the people doing the training.

There are lots of ex military types running parachute training and, IMPO, some of them see every new trainee as an attempt to ridicule their masuclinity - such people are best avoided IMPO. You don't want to be cacking it in the jump plane whilst some ex-corporal is sat alongside you calling you a puff and a nancy boy for hesitating.

Likewise, there are others who have perhaps a bit too laid back approach to sky diving - best avoided also. You know the ones, they seem like extras from Hair or Jesus Christ Superstar.

The most important thing is finding a school who emphasise safety, safety, safety AND who offer a supportive motivational attitude - it is rare to find such places IMPO.

Why go straight to 10,000 ft - did someone buy you a gift voucher for a week in Hereford?

Great post, good advice! Nope just a mate wanting to do one for his birthday, and rang me asking if I wanted to do it with him

Great post, good advice! Nope just a mate wanting to do one for his birthday, and rang me asking if I wanted to do it with him

Consider a paragliding tandem launch first or a motorised paraglider ride IMPO.

If you have your heart set on parachuting think about whether you want a tandem jump or single static line jump. As others have stated, jumping out of an aircraft with perfectly working engines is actually considered bizarre by many - even those in the military often consider it as a means to get from A to B.

Consider a paragliding tandem launch first or a motorised paraglider ride IMPO.

If you have your heart set on parachuting think about whether you want a tandem jump or single static line jump. As others have stated, jumping out of an aircraft with perfectly working engines is actually considered bizarre by many - even those in the military often consider it as a means to get from A to B.

If you do a solo static line jump, the training is more detailed, and the jump more expensive.

The upside is, if you then decide to take up parachuting, the solo static line jump will count in your log book. And you will have done a 'proer' jump. ;)

I definitely agree that there are a lot out there into it as main past time who've deliberately acquired an affectation of being Patrick Swayze out of Point Break. Not nearly as much of a must do as people make out in my opinion wouldn't go out of my way to do another, same goes for bungee jumping.

I did some solo free-fall (AFF course - 14,0000 ft., 1 min free-fall) a few years ago before job/family/life sucked the spirit out of me.

fantastic memories and huge sense of pride in overcoming fear to achieve a difficult goal - something I will cherish for the rest of my life

Do it

My opinion - if you want to do something 'fun' do a tandem from 10-15 thousand feet.

The views are amazing and you can even see the curvature of the horizon.

It is also far less frightening than a static line from say 1000ft. Imo anyway.

That is like jumping of something very high. You can see the detail of everything below.

With a high freefall it all feels a lot more surreal. More like jumping 'into' something in a way.

Never met anyone who has done one who didn't love it. Natural high on an epic scale. You can't probably feel as 'high' without the use of narcotics lol.

Safety records for these things are amazingly good. Yes there is always a tiny chance of things going wrong. But far less than crossing a road or getting into a car - and you probably do this every day.

Ps i really don't like heights very much but even i loved a bit of freefall.

Not so much the static line. Although at that point i didn't have much choice as i really did have a radge corporal shouting down my neck . :lol:

I've wanted to do one for a couple of years, but I need to see the doctor first to ask if I'm likely to either die of agony or permanently deafen myself through imploded ear drums. I suffer quite badly on planes when landing, so I'm assuming a 10,000 drop at terminal velocity might be slightly more painful.

But as to your question - only one thing will cure the fear and that's doing it. You only live once, and if it all goes wrong, it's a hell of a way to die.

It helps if you know how to equalise the pressure that will build up quickly against your eardrums as you fall. Basically hold your nose and try to blow through it.

The other odd thing I found was that I had to put effort into breathing out - if you just open your mouth into a 125mph wind it's rather easy to breathe in and less easy to breathe out!

and you get to ride straight to the pub afterwards..

Seeing as HPC knows all...

Wanted to do a parachute jump in 2008. Missed my chance, never got round to doing it in the end. Now been offered one, but the idea scares the shit out of me now for some reason.

Whaddya think would help? Hypnosis?

I've done two static line jumps, ten years apart. In a way I think I was more scared (less intensity but over a longer time period) the second time because I knew what was coming so I had a lot more time to consider my fear.

On the first occasion, I was the last one out of a small aeroplane, and each of us had to sit on the edge of the door opening and push ourselves out. I could see the expressions of the jumpers before me turn to horror as they disappeared. When it came to my turn, I sat on the edge and looked down and was stupefied with terror. I have never experienced fear like that. I think the instructor pushed me because I think I froze. But when the cute opened, it was quite wonderful and when I landed...well I was as high as a kite for a good two weeks!

So the second time was for me partly about facing that overwhelming fear I had experienced the first time. The odds of being killed or injured parachuting are actually very low although they quite rightly drum the risks into you during training, so the challenge was for my rational side to defeat the irrational terrified side. We jumped at Salisbury plain and there were a lot of parachutists and skdivers that day. We watched another group jump and to my horror one of the jumpers had some sort of difficulty and cut her main chute and opened her emergency. When she landed she was really excited and babbled like a loon about it, but I was horrified as that was my worst fear. Our flight was delayed because the wind picked up and they let some experienced sky divers go before us. When they rescheduled, our flight was announced as being number 13. Then we had to go and collect our helmets,which were handed out fairly randomly but allowing for size, each had a number on the front and mine was...number 13. I admit my fear got the better of me at this point and I asked for a different helmet and stupidly honest;ly explained why I wanted a different helmet.. Denied. By what appeared to me to be ex-military types who said nothing but looked at me as if to say "man up".

We were to jump out of a larger aeroplane this time, an Islander - I think. As we milled about outside, the young ex-military looking jump-master asked who wanted to jump first and I'm proud to say I volunteered. There was loads of room in the plane, it was like a large flying van. There were four of us in our group and another group behind us, one of whom was a woman who cried and sobbed from the moment we took off. I leapt out, and I didn't die and it was great!!!

That was a while back.

I jumped off the Stratosphere tower in Las Vegas last year. That was just as scary and it took me an hour to work up the courage to do it. But I had learnt mindfulness meditation, elements of which are something you can bring into your everyday experience, and I did find that tremendously helpful. Its about staying 'in the moment' and ignoring your thoughts by focusing on stuff like...feeling the weight on your feet, the sun on your face, the wind in your hair and by doing so, staying present all the time and stopping yourself from thinking unnecessary drama-filled stupid thoughts.

I hope that helps.

I'm terrified of heights but overcoming that fear and completing challenges like parachuting gives me a massive buzz. I'm very tempted to have a go at an AFF course.

The best of some already fantastic replies. Thank you Joshua1234

I usually wait until the plane lands, then go through customs with all the black people! :huh:

It helps if you know how to equalise the pressure that will build up quickly against your eardrums as you fall. Basically hold your nose and try to blow through it.

The other odd thing I found was that I had to put effort into breathing out - if you just open your mouth into a 125mph wind it's rather easy to breathe in and less easy to breathe out!

Breaking wind frantically will equalise the pressure and stop your eardrums exploding.

Apparently.

I'm not clear of the route that links your inner ear to your colon.

I'm just reading one of my dad's old medical books ( he is retired now!) called "Bums and Tits", and I think you will find you are wrong on that! one! :blink:

I usually wait until the plane lands, then go through customs with all the black people! :huh:

at which point do you pull the parachute? and why are you working with coal miners ?

That's something that has never worked for me - I usually find that with repeated efforts, one ear clears within about an hour of landing on a plane, but the other (can be a different ear each time) can take up to a day.

But after reading this thread and getting all interested in a tandem dive again, I found this video for anyone who suffers from the same - multiple techniques to equalise the pressure, so one of them ought to work for everybody.

I did some solo free-fall (AFF course - 14,0000 ft., 1 min free-fall) a few years ago before job/family/life sucked the spirit out of me.

fantastic memories and huge sense of pride in overcoming fear to achieve a difficult goal - something I will cherish for the rest of my life

Do it

+1 on this. AFF is the way to do it.

And as someone else noted, my gang of friends were heavily influenced by watching Point Break too many times after pub closing.