House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Moneybox R4 Today On Now On Housing

On this week's Money Box with Ruth Alexander, the programme tackles the housing market and offers tips to minimise the damage to your wallet when you're moving - whether you're renting or buying.

The programmes investigates how some estate agents are putting undue pressure on customers to use their in-house financial services. We'll be asking the National Association of Estate Agents why its members are breaking the rules, and asking the Property Ombudsman what action they'll take.

An MPs' report has exposed the hidden and unreasonable fees being charged to tenants and landlords by some letting agents. The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors has described the lettings sector, which is unregulated, as "the property industry's wild west." We'll be asking what constitutes a fair price for services, and finding out how you can challenge an agent if you think you've been overcharged.

Earlier this week, the Chancellor announced more information about the second phase of Help to Buy, the government's mortgage guarantee scheme which will be available from January next year. We'll be going through the details with mortgage expert Ray Boulger from brokers John Charcol.

And finally, with interest rates as low as they are, it can make sense to make overpayments on your mortgage, if your deal allows you to. But we'll be hearing from Money Box listeners, who have found out their extra payments haven't been paying off either the interest or capital.

Download podcast mp3 here.

"The programmes investigates how some estate agents are putting undue pressure on customers to use their in-house financial services. "

==========================

NOTE: This is the age-old ploy used to peddle

LIAR LOANS

so that people are able to "afford" to buy......

There is no other way 99% of people can "buy".....

THEY HAVE TO LIE....... :rolleyes:

Paul Lewis: ' I believe we've Old Mrs O Brady on the line now'

Mrs OB ' Hello. My and I husband extracted all his pension to buy a block of flats for BTL. We are struggling to keep tenants and are losing money. Its a lot more work than we expected. We cannot sell as it is now a lot less than we paid for it. We invested as we 'understand propedee'. Martin, I want to know who can we blame and sue and will the government compensate us?'

I stopped listening to Moneybox years ago. For every worthwhile feature you have to listens 100s of old people looking to blame someone else - ostrich farms, 'investing' in old wine, etc. And I think Paul Lewis looks like a kiddy fiddler.

"The programmes investigates how some estate agents are putting undue pressure on customers to use their in-house financial services. "

/quote]

Never thought I'd say this, but in-house can be a plus. When my daughter and her b/f were buying a couple of yrs ago (Oxford) they were of course pressured to get their mortgage via the EA. After a lot of research daughter found exactly the same 'best' deal they were offering online for £300 less in fees - EA broker promptly matched it. They also used the in-house solicitor, which I was wary about at the time, but the fact is the whole thing from offer to completion was wrapped up in 6 weeks - I am sure at least partly down to in-house pressure.

Daughter had a new job in Ox. at the time - short-term rentals were very scarce and expensive and they were crammed into a tiny short-term a long commute away. So it worked out very well for them, though it evidently helped that they had a healthy deposit (not BOMAD I hasten to add).

Edited by Mrs Bear