House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

The Most Obscene, Vomit-Inducing Property Põrn Tv Show Ever

Having recently moved to the US, I've just been flicking through the 150-odd cable TV channels that are now available at my fingertips (about 147 of which I shall never look at again).

Among them is the nauseatingly labelled Home and Garden TV (HGTV) - an entire channel devoted to Phil and Krustie-style home makeover shows. I have just lost half an hour of my life that I'll never get back watching a show entitled Love it or List it. Each episode features a narcissistic, self-obsessed couple who are in some way dissatisfied with their home, in response to which an "interior designer" (translation - somebody who rings up tradespeople of various description and adds a commission on to their bill) tries to persuade them to stay in their current home and do it up, while an estate agent tries to find them a better house and get the couple to move.

Just watching that one episode convinced me that not having a TV in my home for the first two decades of my adult life was one of the best decisions I ever made. By the end of it, I wanted to lower everyone who appeared in it feet first into a woodchipper. My wife even had to point out that she's not a cardiologist, and therefore would only be of very limited help if I suffered a heart attack as a result of watching that sh!te. Thankfully, projectile vomiting is still allowed...

Interestingly, this show is Canadian, and set in Toronto (for some reason, one of the participants repeatedly pronouncing the word house as 'hoose' (to rhyme with moose) was what irritated me most of all - my wife tells me that this is a Canadian thing), and so I can't blame stereotypical (US of) American consumer culture for this televisual abomination.

Rant over.

re 'hoose'.

That's because many have a Scottish background.

Just walk around any park on a weekend and you come across this sort of thing all the time....

Not down here we don't! More likely to find a village idiot competition or cheese rolling! :huh:

Still I'm glad regular American TV is still "quality"!

Having recently moved to the US,

Rant over.

Glad you've finally escaped from all the petty annoyances of life in the hellhole that is the UK!

Glad you've finally escaped from all the petty annoyances of life in the hellhole that is the UK!

Still, he may still be able to participate in via the Internet, if you can get that over there! :huh:

How many guns have you got so far?

Surprisingly, CA has relatively strict gun control laws. in order to get a licence you have to be of good character (i.e. no criminal record), go through a long-winded bureaucratic process, have a gun cabinet in your home that would withstand pretty much everything except high explosives, attend a safety training course and attend regular refreshers. Concealed carry permits are virtually never issued. My wife's brother lives up in the San Bernardino mountains where wild bears can and do show up in your back garden, and therefore looked in to getting a gun (they have three young kids), but decided that the hassle and cost wasn't worth it.

re 'hoose'.

That's because many have a Scottish background.

Just walk around any park on a weekend and you come across this sort of thing all the time....

You don't know what your talking aboot.......... Doh!