House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Aviva Car Insurance

You might have seen the adverts. The latest in a procession of new work to keep Paul Whitehouse in a pension.

How does the app "measure how you drive"?

Can it see out of the window?

Does it analyse your decisions?

Or, rather, is it more to do with liability shift in so far as: if you have an accident, and they can show that you were not speeding at the time, they might come off better against the other company?

You might have seen the adverts. The latest in a procession of new work to keep Paul Whitehouse in a pension.

How does the app "measure how you drive"?

Can it see out of the window?

Does it analyse your decisions?

Or, rather, is it more to do with liability shift in so far as: if you have an accident, and they can show that you were not speeding at the time, they might come off better against the other company?

All it measures is stuff like how hard you accelerate, brake, take corners, and how often you swerve, your typical driving speeds, general areas where you drive, and times that you drive.

The insurers don't look for individual events - they won't refuse a discount because you made an emergency stop. Instead, they are more interested in general trends - i.e. do you regularly accelerate at full throttle, and regularly slam on the brakes; do you regularly use unlit rural roads at night, etc.? Drivers that rarely accelerate hard or brake hard, rarely drive on dangerous roads will be offered a discount on their premium.

Where the insurers may look at individual events, is in the event of a claim. They will use the data recorded such as speed, acceleration, location and time, to help corroborate statements of fact in a claim (and for detection of fraudulent claims).

All it measures is stuff like how hard you accelerate, brake, take corners, and how often you swerve, your typical driving speeds, general areas where you drive, and times that you drive.

The insurers don't look for individual events - they won't refuse a discount because you made an emergency stop. Instead, they are more interested in general trends - i.e. do you regularly accelerate at full throttle, and regularly slam on the brakes; do you regularly use unlit rural roads at night, etc.? Drivers that rarely accelerate hard or brake hard, rarely drive on dangerous roads will be offered a discount on their premium.

Where the insurers may look at individual events, is in the event of a claim. They will use the data recorded such as speed, acceleration, location and time, to help corroborate statements of fact in a claim (and for detection of fraudulent claims).

Cheers DTMark, my insurance is up for renewal in a couple of months so I might install and see how I get along with it.

Chumpus, I've ordered an in car cam partly as a result of your views a while back, so thanks for those. Prices seem to be dropping and specs improving all the time. I've gone for one of these, and if it seems good I'll get another to our other car.

http://dashcamtalk.com/livue-lb100/

£105 delivered with optional GPS mounting.

This is crying out for a friendly F1 driver to take one for a few practice laps. Or maybe a Typhoon pilot.

A note of caution.

Aviva are THE worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Imagine how bad you could imagine a mega corporate insurance co. to be. They're worse than that.

By contrast, my car insurance has been with LV for 15 years and I cannot praise them highly enough. Competitive, responsive, excellent service.

If we still had any remote semblance of semi-capitalism Aviva would have been in the bin years ago.

A note of caution.

Aviva are THE worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Imagine how bad you could imagine a mega corporate insurance co. to be. They're worse than that.

By contrast, my car insurance has been with LV for 15 years and I cannot praise them highly enough. Competitive, responsive, excellent service.

If we still had any remote semblance of semi-capitalism Aviva would have been in the bin years ago.

Why are they the worst?

I had to make a claim last year and thought they were absolutely briliant, paid out on my smashed up £40k car in next to no time. The whole user experience was (sadly) brilliant. Three cheers for Aviva.

Why are they the worst?

I had to make a claim last year and thought they were absolutely briliant, paid out on my smashed up £40k car in next to no time. The whole user experience was (sadly) brilliant. Three cheers for Aviva.

Christ! You're the bloke that makes my insurance expensive! :blink:

I'm not in favour of this idea, TBH. I've only ever had one accident that was my fault in my own car- a 2mph nudge into the car in front when I was paying more attention to my car stereo than what was happening in front of me- I hit a Mk3 Golf- crap car, but very well built, so no damage was done to it; minimal and easily ignorable damage was done to my Mk1 Toyota MR2. I was 22 at the time.

Since then I've done 20 months as a bus driver, which honed my road reading skills very well. I've not come even close to causing an accident since. But I now drive two fairly quick cars- a Mk1 MX5 and a 3.0 V6 Mk3 Mondeo- and on occasion I use their ability to get from 0-30 in under 3 seconds to squirt out into gaps in traffic that drivers of slower cars may not be able to exploit. It's a point of principle to me that I never cause another driver to brake unnecessarily- but to a dumb GPS monitoring box I'd probably look like a boy racer, which I'm emphatically not.

Christ! You're the bloke that makes my insurance expensive! :blink:

Accidents can happen to anyone regardless of risk profile. I thought and still do regard myself as a safe driver. I made the mistake of getting in the way of a new 19 year old driver travelling far in excess of the speed limit and moving erratically between lanes. I was stationary there was no where for me to go and a technicality meant it was a fault claim. You only have to be unlucky once. Sorry btw :D

I'm not in favour of this idea, TBH. I've only ever had one accident that was my fault in my own car- a 2mph nudge into the car in front when I was paying more attention to my car stereo than what was happening in front of me- I hit a Mk3 Golf- crap car, but very well built, so no damage was done to it; minimal and easily ignorable damage was done to my Mk1 Toyota MR2. I was 22 at the time.

Since then I've done 20 months as a bus driver, which honed my road reading skills very well. I've not come even close to causing an accident since. But I now drive two fairly quick cars- a Mk1 MX5 and a 3.0 V6 Mk3 Mondeo- and on occasion I use their ability to get from 0-30 in under 3 seconds to squirt out into gaps in traffic that drivers of slower cars may not be able to exploit. It's a point of principle to me that I never cause another driver to brake unnecessarily- but to a dumb GPS monitoring box I'd probably look like a boy racer, which I'm emphatically not.

Good point. One of my (many!) bugbears with the driving of other people is the number of people who simply do not get up to speed when pulling out of a junction/onto a motorway, even if they must realise they are cutting it fine and should get the boot in. The final insult being, having been forced to brake, the other car then decides to floor it once safely on the road.

Why are they the worst?

What a brilliant post... it's almost like a daily mail article.