House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Dab Car Stereos

I'm thinking about getting a new car radio - my one still has tape :o, but I'm now looking to upgrade. I can pick up FM ok, but MW is non-existent.

I probably want to go DAB, with possibly dual FM as well (if I hit a weak signal area). It should also have iPhoney type connection, and come with CD.

I'm wondering if my signal is strong enough, and if I were to go DAB, its seems as if you need to get a separate digital aerial...are these discrete, or are they like one of those 1970s aerials that you find on a Talbot Sunbeam?

Any help would be much appreciated...

DAB in car is crap, loose signal going under a bridge etc, you can get a very good stereo with loads of toys and bluetooth hands free for >£150, but what ever you choose buy Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood. They are superior in every way to other makes regardless.

Got a factory fitted Dab and its perfect, much better than FM, and it has FM anyway. Lots of stations very very occasionally cuts out in the city but perfect everywhere else. Great for listening to 6 music breakfast show on :-)

DAB in car is crap

I disagree, DAB is crap full stop doesnt matter if you are in a car or not!

FM all the way for me

The only "decent" radio station (so to speak) I listen to is R2 - which I'm getting bored of. I want one that I can get 6music on it, as well as 5live...

I have an 09 Focus with built in DAB.

It also has Bluetooth and voice activated contols (never used it too complicated).

DAB is ok.

Overall im happy with the standard Ford system, but mainly for the Bluetooth phone integration and the 16gb of tunes on my USB stick.

I'm in the south OF England, and on a regular commute up the M3 to London, i get most of the multiplexes all the way from Dorset to London. Apart from a few dips on the A303 near Stonehenge.

That being said, i reckon if i didn't have DAB, i would just download the Tune Inn app and run a line out of my phone in to an Aux input on the car stereo.

Seems to me, with an unlimited data plan on your phone, you have access to WAAY more stations than DAB, and 3G is more likely to be supported more than DAB in the future.

The Tune Inn App has a "car mode" which makes the buttons bigger.

However, it does have an annoying habit of starting up on its own, and running your battery down if you don't nip it in the bud.

I have an 09 Focus with built in DAB.

It also has Bluetooth and voice activated contols (never used it too complicated).

DAB is ok.

Overall im happy with the standard Ford system, but mainly for the Bluetooth phone integration and the 16gb of tunes on my USB stick.

I'm in the south OF England, and on a regular commute up the M3 to London, i get most of the multiplexes all the way from Dorset to London. Apart from a few dips on the A303 near Stonehenge.

That being said, i reckon if i didn't have DAB, i would just download the Tune Inn app and run a line out of my phone in to an Aux input on the car stereo.

Seems to me, with an unlimited data plan on your phone, you have access to WAAY more stations than DAB, and 3G is more likely to be supported more than DAB in the future.

The Tune Inn App has a "car mode" which makes the buttons bigger.

However, it does have an annoying habit of starting up on its own, and running your battery down if you don't nip it in the bud.

I do have the iplayer radio app on my iphone, and I did think about streaming directly via 3G, however, 3G is very iffy in deepest Somerset...can be frustrating on relying on 3G, esp. for Google Maps, and when the 3G signal drops...

I do have the iplayer radio app on my iphone, and I did think about streaming directly via 3G, however, 3G is very iffy in deepest Somerset...can be frustrating on relying on 3G, esp. for Google Maps, and when the 3G signal drops...

So is DAB likely to be much better?

Dorset is the land that the BBC forgot for the most part.

My main DAB useage is heading east from here.

So is DAB likely to be much better?

Dorset is the land that the BBC forgot for the most part.

My main DAB useage is heading east from here.

I seem to be able to get DAB here...

I seem to be able to get DAB here...

Grand.

Somerset has a BBC Station too i believe!

I generally find that my car reception of DAB is as good as any home device.

Apart from a Monitor Audio DAB i've got.

Which is a piece of ass.

Anyway, by chance, i just stumbled on this.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/philips-cem3000b-dab-ipod-iphone-cd-mp3-fm-car-cd-player-49-90-halfords-1616087

Grand.

Somerset has a BBC Station too i believe!

I generally find that my car reception of DAB is as good as any home device.

Apart from a Monitor Audio DAB i've got.

Which is a piece of ass.

Anyway, by chance, i just stumbled on this.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/philips-cem3000b-dab-ipod-iphone-cd-mp3-fm-car-cd-player-49-90-halfords-1616087

AFAIK, Somerset Sound was the last county radio station in the country to go FM...

Thats the sort of thing I'm looking at...Can't you get a module to make radios bluetooth, if I wanted to?

AFAIK, Somerset Sound was the last county radio station in the country to go FM...

Thats the sort of thing I'm looking at...Can't you get a module to make radios bluetooth, if I wanted to?

Parrot?

Or i think the double din head units could be the way to go.

The biggest boon to my "in car audio experience" is the USB socket.

but what ever you choose buy Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood. They are superior in every way to other makes regardless.

Alpine full stop.