House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Fighter Misses Glider

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2378728/RAF-Tornado-misses-glider-quarter-second-thanks-lightning-reflexes-fighter-pilot.html

So this guy saw a glider ahead and was worried about toasting it with his engine so did some sort of weird low level inverted roll to get out of the way ....

or he just saw the thing ahead of him at 500 mph and got the **** out of the way any way he could ?

I mean don't get me wrong, fighter pilots are very special guys and have reactions almost as good as me on my playstation, but this all sounds a bit implausible...

Back in my days of the air cadets I remember hearing a story of a Tornado clobbering a microlight in similar circumstances. The pilot saw the microlight, pulled up, and smashed the microlight to bits with the blast from the engines.

So this probably has a grain of truth in it, despite being in the mail.

Back in my days of the air cadets I remember hearing a story of a Tornado clobbering a microlight in similar circumstances. The pilot saw the microlight, pulled up, and smashed the microlight to bits with the blast from the engines.

So this probably has a grain of truth in it, despite being in the mail.

All looks a bit suspect to me.

In the graphic the plane is going at 500 mph at 250 feet. it then goes in the opposite direction (180 degrees). At 500 mph 250 feet is about 0.3 seconds. So the pilot is going from 500 mph in one direction to 500 mph in the opposite direction in 0.3 seconds, all without hitting the ground. Unless I've got something completely wrong.

All looks a bit suspect to me.

In the graphic the plane is going at 500 mph at 250 feet. it then goes in the opposite direction (180 degrees). At 500 mph 250 feet is about 0.3 seconds. So the pilot is going from 500 mph in one direction to 500 mph in the opposite direction in 0.3 seconds, all without hitting the ground. Unless I've got something completely wrong.

Me too. Pushing into a bunt at 250ft, which is what the picture depicts, is not a natural act.

Me too. Pushing into a bunt at 250ft, which is what the picture depicts, is not a natural act.

Agreed. The last thing you would do is push the stick forwards. It's like wiggling the steering wheel when you are on a motorway. You just wouldn't do it because 99 times out of a hundred at low level it would put you in the dirt. My guess if he had actually thought about not going over the top of it would be that he would do a quarter or less than half a turn and pull back hard on the stick.

Agreed. The last thing you would do is push the stick forwards. It's like wiggling the steering wheel when you are on a motorway. You just wouldn't do it because 99 times out of a hundred at low level it would put you in the dirt. My guess if he had actually thought about not going over the top of it would be that he would do a quarter or less than half a turn and pull back hard on the stick.

so many questions..

why was the glider flying under 500 ft? it was a powered glider after all.

How could the jet reverse in 250 ft?

Why is the Daily Mail so shite?

Or cut power and more or less glide under

The report, elsewhere, states: 'He bunted and passed 100ft below it.'

So I think what happened is that he saw the glider, immediately inverted the aircraft whilst simultaneously losing height... so he was inverting as he passed below the glider.

As part of the 'bunt' was an inverted u-turn he therefore, effectively, passed below the glider whilst in the process of inverting the Tornado and performing the u-turn.

The graphic in the DM is clearly wrong as, at that speed and height, he would have bought the farm and had his innards sucked out of his head via g-force along the way.

Or cut power and more or less glide under

This is possible I guess.

I think though that when they fly at that sort of low level they must have some sort of training that instinctively makes them pull back on the stick if something appears in front of them (like a mountain or something), so they are always flying in a way where their brain is subconciously prepared to do this in short order. The reason is obvious.There is space to go up but none down*.

That said if he really did have time to think and check his actions then maybe he could go underneath.

*I have no experience of any of this except on F19 Stealth Fighter on the atari st, which I was bloody great at.

*I have no experience of any of this except on F19 Stealth Fighter on the atari st, which I was bloody great at.

When the call goes out for experienced pilots to fight the aliens a la 'Independence Day' I trust you will be first in line to raise your hand.

This is possible I guess.

I think though that when they fly at that sort of low level they must have some sort of training that instinctively makes them pull back on the stick if something appears in front of them (like a mountain or something), so they are always flying in a way where their brain is subconciously prepared to do this in short order. The reason is obvious.There is space to go up but none down*.

That said if he really did have time to think and check his actions then maybe he could go underneath.

the Mirror gives a more likely account:

The report said: "He bunted and passed 100ft below it. The pilot noted that he had seen the glider at the very last moment."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co...3#ixzz2a9XWzoOZ

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

It seems a BUNT is a negative G manouvre...ie the fighter went from level flight to a lower level..ie, a short dive...( assuming it was the right way up in the first place.

The Merlin engine of the British fighters had the drawback of being equipped with a float-type carburettor which cut out under negative "g" forces. The fuel injected Daimler-Benz DB 601 engine gave the 109 an advantage over the carburettor-equipped engine; when RAF fighter attempted to "bunt" and dive away from an opponent as the 109 could, their engines would temporarily cut out for the duration of the negative-g forces. This ability to perform negative-g manoeuvres without the engine cutting out gave a 109 pilot better ability to disengage at will.[9]

Again, speculation is rampant as to why the pilot didnt see the glider.

Simples...the view of an impending crash with a colliding object appears stationery to the pilot...the brain sees movement and misses the ever enlarging target until movement is revealed by a rapid enlarging of the shape...

This is why pilots collide occasionally in clear blue skies.

There is a suggestion on another forum that the decimal point is not in the right place. 2500, not 250.

It's the Daily Mail hiring American freelance interns for peanuts so could well be right.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2378728/RAF-Tornado-misses-glider-quarter-second-thanks-lightning-reflexes-fighter-pilot.html

So this guy saw a glider ahead and was worried about toasting it with his engine so did some sort of weird low level inverted roll to get out of the way ....

or he just saw the thing ahead of him at 500 mph and got the **** out of the way any way he could ?

I mean don't get me wrong, fighter pilots are very special guys and have reactions almost as good as me on my playstation, but this all sounds a bit implausible...

OK, I have to bite.

The manoeuvre depicted is impossible. The aircraft wouldn't survive the -ve G involved, the best outcome would be CFIT. At low-level, the standard collision avoidance would be hard (6G) break starboard, possibly level, probably with an upward attitude. I'm willing to accept the possibility of flying underneath the glider, but that would go against your natural instinct and all your training in that particular situation. The only exception I can thing of is if the glider was in a thermal or updraft on the ridge of a (very steep) hill, and the pilot rolled inverted and pulled underneath, and down the side of the hill... but only if it were virtually a cliff.

OK, I have to bite.

The manoeuvre depicted is impossible. The aircraft wouldn't survive the -ve G involved, the best outcome would be CFIT. At low-level, the standard collision avoidance would be hard (6G) break starboard, possibly level, probably with an upward attitude. I'm willing to accept the possibility of flying underneath the glider, but that would go against your natural instinct and all your training in that particular situation. The only exception I can thing of is if the glider was in a thermal or updraft on the ridge of a (very steep) hill, and the pilot rolled inverted and pulled underneath, and down the side of the hill... but only if it were virtually a cliff.

I think the G-forces would separate the pilot's brain from his spinal column.

It would also separate all the parts of the aircraft from all the other parts of the aircraft.