House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Spitting

A contentious one this.

I run quite a bit and the spitting issue is something of a problem. On the one hand I understand that some people don't like spitting. On the other running around with a mouthful of spit is not such a pleasant experience. I try not to be in peoples faces when I do it, but banning it completely seems a bit harsh, especially since dogs are allowed to p*ss in the streets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377291/Spitting-street-earn-80-fine-Pickles-backs-council-wanted-pass-bylaw-banning-habit.html

I can't bear this habit, especially walking behind some yoof gobbing everywhere. Disgusting habit. I kind of understand your point about when running, but if you're running on the streets or where kids play then just swallow it.

Why not just swallow it? I wouldn't think of doing otherwise, the only exception being when cleaning my teeth.

I blame the current spitting craze on footballers. Do they spit all the time? Or is it that the media only take photographs of them when they spit on the field, followed by another footballer sliding along on his knees on the well lubricated turf?

Disgusting habit and a health hazard.

Why not just swallow it? I wouldn't think of doing otherwise, the only exception being when cleaning my teeth.

I blame the current spitting craze on footballers. Do they spit all the time? Or is it that the media only take photographs of them when they spit on the field, followed by another footballer sliding along on his knees on the well lubricated turf?

Disgusting habit and a health hazard.

I guess that it's because after doing a lot of exercise they get a mouthful of spit that they want to get rid of. Swallowing it is not nice after you have done a lot of exercise or run a good few miles, you could be then faced with a pool of vomit or a pool of spit in my case.

I haven't noticed a "craze" for spitting or people spitting in the streets any more now than in the past. That said, I'm not wandering round the UK streets where the UK "yoof" go that much.

I guess that it's because after doing a lot of exercise they get a mouthful of spit that they want to get rid of. Swallowing it is not nice after you have done a lot of exercise or run a good few miles, you could be then faced with a pool of vomit or a pool of spit in my case.

I haven't noticed a "craze" for spitting or people spitting in the streets any more now than in the past. That said, I'm not wandering round the UK streets where the UK "yoof" go that much.

Carry a spitoon, you filthy ****.

If you are not a regular runner, you might be surprised at the amount crap that comes out of your lungs & sinuses during a run even in the clean(er) country air.

So yes, I get rid of it, why wouldn't I, for the sake of my health? As long as you are not aiming in someone's space and you are discreet about it. As my gran said 'better out than in!'

Can some one with medical knowledge tell us, isn't spitting a natural mechanism of the body to purge the lungs etc. of unwanted stuff?

I hate spitting but find myself doing it increasingly in Swansea due to the sheer number of smokers. You cannot walk through Swansea city centre for smokers and you are bound to get a mouthful of nicotine filled smoke in your mouth on each journey. The smoke is harmful to my health so I spit it out.

When they ban smoking in public....

It spreads TB, so there's a cultural hangover from when we had high rates of TB against spitting. Whether there's any statistical.evidence to show it has any meaningfull effect at todays TB rates I've no idea, but my nan spent years in a sanatorium with TB so I was brought up with the idea that spitting on the street is taboo.

If you are not a regular runner, you might be surprised at the amount crap that comes out of your lungs & sinuses during a run even in the clean(er) country air.

So yes, I get rid of it, why wouldn't I, for the sake of my health? As long as you are not aiming in someone's space and you are discreet about it. As my gran said 'better out than in!'

Can some one with medical knowledge tell us, isn't spitting a natural mechanism of the body to purge the lungs etc. of unwanted stuff?

Exactly, and a good point well made if you don't mind me saying Mr Fraser sir.

I gob all over the place myself - all because back in the 80's, the BBC's subliminal messaging department decided to mind-fook me into to doing it...

Honest...!!!

XYY

It spreads TB, so there's a cultural hangover from when we had high rates of TB against spitting. Whether there's any statistical.evidence to show it has any meaningfull effect at todays TB rates I've no idea, but my nan spent years in a sanatorium with TB so I was brought up with the idea that spitting on the street is taboo.

Get your own back. Spit on a badger.

Spitting in public is disgusting, let's face it. If someone spits within say 10 metres of me, I take it personally. No I'm not joking!

I don't care if a runner spits when 40 metres away, that's completely different. But someone spitting close by is unnacceptable IMO. I still remember some guy standing about 5 metres away on a tube platform and gobbing on the tracks. There's something confrontational about it. It's used by thugs to send a message.

Equally worse are some of our "foreign friends" whose culture requires them clear their throat LOUDLY and then spit with force. I was sitting in an Indian restaraunt one time, and someone in the kitchen did it. Needless to say I never went back.

If we can ban spitting in public, then please let whistling be next. A pet hate of mine :D

Get your own back. Spit on a badger.

Speaking of badgers and TB - the Welsh Assembly have been paying 600 quid per badger to vaccinate them against TB. They just worked out that it is going to cost many millions and that they cannot afford it. How it costs 600 quid!!!??? Welsh badgers must demand a lot to take a needle in the bottom.

Spitting in public is disgusting, let's face it. If someone spits within say 10 metres of me, I take it personally. No I'm not joking!

I don't care if a runner spits when 40 metres away, that's completely different. But someone spitting close by is unnacceptable IMO. I still remember some guy standing about 5 metres away on a tube platform and gobbing on the tracks. There's something confrontational about it. It's used by thugs to send a message.

Equally worse are some of our "foreign friends" whose culture requires them clear their throat LOUDLY and then spit with force. I was sitting in an Indian restaraunt one time, and someone in the kitchen did it. Needless to say I never went back.

If we can ban spitting in public, then please let whistling be next. A pet hate of mine :D

i spit on your bourgeois morality!

seriously, you are right. it's all down to context, like nudity or public whistling.

One of my pet hates. I note that some youngsters now seem to spit as you approach them and I think it might be a subconscious or conscious display of disdain.

It is a bit chavie. There's quite a rough town near me called Ilkeston and you are met with spitting and loud burping.

It may have some symbolic significance such as a mating ritual, he that can burp the loudest and spit the longest distance.

When out running I would only consider spitting if I could do it discretely, otherwise I swallow. As much as I hate the anti social, ignorant, aggressive & confrontational nature behind spitting (and to a lesser extent unapologetic burping). I use it to determine the general attitude of the individual involved. An early warning system so to speak. So disgusting & unnecessary as it is, there is a positive side to it blink.gif.