House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longtermrenter

Voip - Best Provider

Mods, please leave on board for a while before going to off-topic - HPC gurus seem to always have an answer.

I'm moving house and working from home and want to get a VOIP number and just use VOIP for my telephone calls as all of the main packages that come with the broadband landline seem too restrictive. It also means I can keep the number should we move again (renters)

Does anyone have any recommendations amongst the myriad of suppliers and deals out there. I mainly use the phone for customers ringing me and also to ring them on landlines and mobiles. Very few internaitonal calls.

Guest eight

Mods, please leave on board for a while before going to off-topic - HPC gurus seem to always have an answer.

I'm moving house and working from home and want to get a VOIP number and just use VOIP for my telephone calls as all of the main packages that come with the broadband landline seem too restrictive. It also means I can keep the number should we move again (renters)

Does anyone have any recommendations amongst the myriad of suppliers and deals out there. I mainly use the phone for customers ringing me and also to ring them on landlines and mobiles. Very few internaitonal calls.

I'm very happy with voipfone. In reality there are probably dozens of equally competent providers.

I'm happy with sipgate: I have service from them as well as DECT phones bought from their shop.

Probably not your first choice if you need lots of handholding, as they don't run a support 'phone number (only email). But their website help is very clear on how to set everything up. If that doesn't bother you, I doubt you'll find a better price anywhere, and I can't fault the service.

Am I right in thinking I could take my telephone number from my landline with me to VOIP land?

You might be able to but it would perhaps be easier to get a portable "virtual" number.

AQL in Leeds are very good. (no connection)

I'm very happy with voipfone. In reality there are probably dozens of equally competent providers.

Another vote for Voipfone here. Have been using them for years, very few problems.

We use Sipgate for our "landline" phone number - you can pick a number with an area code to match the one you would have had if you had an arcane handset device at the end of a few miles of ancient GPO wire. Here it runs over 3G. Sounds perfectly clear without noticeable lag or delays.

You can do some quite funky things with "hunting" - try the PC, try the mobile etc. but you do have to pay if you want to forward onto a mobile. At last look it was about 10ppm.

I put ten quid on it about twice a year.

The web UI is a bit, well, mediocre. It works well enough when you work out the navigation.

There's also a smartphone app. I found it dreadful on Android, but then I found everything about Android fairly dreadful. Works OK on an iPhone.

Admittedly I have no experience of other VOIP systems except for Gradwell which is or was a service targeted at business and worked well.

You can do some quite funky things with "hunting" - try the PC, try the mobile etc. but you do have to pay if you want to forward onto a mobile. At last look it was about 10ppm.

That's in your own equipment, regardless of your provider.

And you can send/receive VOIP to/from a mobile without (extra) charge. Just be aware that if you do so from abroad it'll incur data roaming charges, unless you have a wifi connection.