House Price Crash Forum

Philosophy

happy_renting

HOLA441

We all celebrate Kant, Wittgenstein, Descartes, Russell, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, and the other intellectual giants that have shaped human culture and wisdom.

But, right under our noses, are another, unrecognised source of wisdom, pushing forward the frontiers of humanity's understanding of the world and providing the moral, intellectual and analytical insight into all that is around us.

It is time for a thread so that their gems of wisdom shall not go forgotten and unappreciated:

As a starter, I give you:-

Look to the future now, it's only just begun

- Slade

Life, it's the name of the game

- Bruce Forsyth

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest eight

I love their peppermint foot lotion

:unsure:

Tasty, is it?

Just to annoy Fluffy -

"The polar ice is melting

Which suits me fine

We'll go to the beach

On the Northern Line"

- Marillion

HOLA449

So many good ones: ;)

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dr. Seuss.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

J.K. Rowling.

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”

Oscar Wilde.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

So many good ones: ;)

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dr. Seuss.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

J.K. Rowling.

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”

Oscar Wilde.

Those are a bit too wise and/or witty for this thread.

I am searching for the excrucuating, mind-numbingly banale pontifications of those whose talents other than intellect have pushed them into the limelight, and who do not realise that, in the absence of any intelligence, it is best to keep their mouths shut.

BTW Rowling seems to be paraphrasing a much older dictum about judging a man by how he treats his servants.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I am searching for the excrucuating, mind-numbingly banale pontifications of those whose talents other than intellect have pushed them into the limelight, and who do not realise that, in the absence of any intelligence, it is best to keep their mouths shut.

Peaches is the girl for you, definitely

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Peaches is the girl for you, definitely

Further points:

I am delighted to say, being sans TV, that I had no idea who Fearne Cotton is.

I have now read about her on Wikipedia.

In an earlier post I indicated that i was searching for banale quotes from "those whose talents other than intellect have pushed them into the limelight."

I am not sure Fearne fits the bill. As far as I can discern, she is utterly devoid of any talent whatsoever.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Always drive within your competence, at a speed which is appropriate to the circumstances so that you can stop safely in the distance that you can see to be clear.

• Roadcraft: The Police Drivers' Handbook

So I should put a loud bell on my black Wolseley, and chase Jags? ;)

HOLA4423
Guest eight

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff."

- Mariah Carey, pop singer

The song "Ego Music" by the Pet shop Boys captures this phenomenon very well. The main lyric goes "me me me me yes yes yes yes you you you you no no no no".

HOLA4424

Always drive within your competence, at a speed which is appropriate to the circumstances so that you can stop safely in the distance that you can see to be clear.

• Roadcraft: The Police Drivers' Handbook

They nicked that from Alan Partridge.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

Brian O'Driscoll.

HOLA4425

Archived