House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Jack Reacher

*** WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

Saw the film tonight.

Mostly entertaining, and it's always nice to see Tom Cruise playing the part of... Tom Cruise.

Though his performance in A Few Good Men was outstanding.

The film was basically Fleming's James Bond starring in Agatha Christie's The ABC Murders from which the premise of the plot was blatantly ripped.

In the first five minutes I said to partner: "those won't be random killings, one of them will be the real one" somewhat jokingly, and that's what it turned out to be.

When the story came out about the conglomerate buying out the company I said "that's the real murder" and indeed it was. (cue The Simpsons Monorail episode)

So I thought it was a bit, well predictable to say the least.

Fun enough to watch and I can see it spawning a series... the violence is hilarious especially in the meth house.

Are the Lee Child books like that?

Saw the film tonight.

Mostly entertaining, and it's always nice to see Tom Cruise playing the part of... Tom Cruise.

Though his performance in A Few Good Men was outstanding.

The film was basically Fleming's James Bond starring in Agatha Christie's The ABC Murders from which the premise of the plot was blatantly ripped.

In the first five minutes I said to partner: "those won't be random killings, one of them will be the real one" somewhat jokingly, and that's what it turned out to be.

When the story came out about the conglomerate buying out the company I said "that's the real murder" and indeed it was. (cue The Simpsons Monorail episode)

So I thought it was a bit, well predictable to say the least.

Fun enough to watch and I can see it spawning a series... the violence is hilarious especially in the meth house.

Well, after that spoiler I won't be going to see it.

SPOILER

I enjoyed this movie. Some of the criticism is based on the fact Cruise was miscast for the role. However, if you haven't read the books,and I haven't, then it's not relevant. I'm not sure how Cruise is able make movies with so much violence given that he is all loved up with his so called religion but that's his choice. Lot's of haters slagging off this film saying it's the worst movie ever,utter nonsense of course. It's a good film and as stated it's fairly predictable. Best part for me was the bar fight. I'll say nothing more. 6/10.

<snip>

I read "A Wanted Man", after seeing the Jack Reacher movie. It's the least rated of all the Reacher books, but it was the only one in the airport, and I didn't know at the time. It is the first one I have read, and I have found it an excellent read to be honest. The style isn't to everyone's taste (sentences tend to be very short and punchy during passages of detailed description. There is by all accounts a very high pace of action in all the Reacher novels, perhaps with the exception of A Wanted Man, and this seems to be the complaint of most of the fans of the series with regard to the book.

As an aside, I think the casting of Tom Cruise was criticised quite a lot by fans of the books. In the book, Reacher is described as 6'6" face for radio type. Make of that what you will, with regards to the Hollywood produced movie I guess :-).

I've read numerous Jack Reacher books over the years. They're all very readable in my opinion. He's a too good to be true hero type who just happens upon all sorts of trouble during his travels (he's of no fixed abode). He'll walk into some non descript town at the beginning and by the time he walks out, well, everythings sorted leaving behind a mound of bodies, half the town destroyed but peace and calm restored to the inhabitants.

They are the sort of books that entertain for the duration if you like that sort of thing and I do, even though I'm a girl (not into chick lit). I will watch the film but don't expect Tom Cruise to come up to my expectation of Reacher but I'll give it a go.

Yep, mostly good books with a libertarain message...apparently, the English Author, when trying to think of a name for him found himself reaching for food on a top shelf....and the name was born.

reacher...6ft 3ins, hugely muscular and living the poor life of a traveller ( he doesnt wear a watch as his brain keeps perfect time) and an expert at survival and fireams...100% the revers of Tom Cruise.

However, in the film, what with the rest of the cast chosen for being apparently tiny, Cruise pulls it off...

Yep, mostly good books with a libertarain message...apparently, the English Author, when trying to think of a name for him found himself reaching for food on a top shelf....and the name was born.

reacher...6ft 3ins, hugely muscular and living the poor life of a traveller ( he doesnt wear a watch as his brain keeps perfect time) and an expert at survival and fireams...100% the revers of Tom Cruise.

However, in the film, what with the rest of the cast chosen for being apparently tiny, Cruise pulls it off...

But don't forget that Cruise owns this.

The ultimate pulp novel, obvious plots, machismo agogo with an implausible, infallible hero but ****** are they readable.

Should be shit, but isn't. Actually great.

The ultimate pulp novel, obvious plots, machismo agogo with an implausible, infallible hero but ****** are they readable.

Should be shit, but isn't. Actually great.

Yes, really readable. Good for one night only, read all the way through without stopping.

The earliest books are the best, the later ones feel like he's run out of ideas.

The film is based on "One Shot" which I thought was one of the worst books in the series with several gaping holes in the plot.

I liked jason bourne more.

Bourne in many ways is more believable. In the respect that he is scientifically engineered to be a master assasin. Reacher always seems a bit under qualified IMO, you wouldn't expect a military police guy surely to have the skills reacher has.

I heard that Matt Damon was not going to any more Bourne. Latest film was a bit weak compared to the earlier 3. Maybe it will be resurrected if someone could come up with a good storyline.

The earliest books are the best, the later ones feel like he's run out of ideas.

The film is based on "One Shot" which I thought was one of the worst books in the series with several gaping holes in the plot.

I've long held the view that a lot of authors go through a career like this:

Stage 1, first few books, really learning the trade. A few books sell, not enough to make a living, never mind become rich and famous.

Stage 2, if they haven't given up. Produce a great book and build on it. At this point the publishers will, if they can, try to resurrect the old crap from Stage 1 to try to make a few bob extra.

Stage 3, burn out or license the name or subcontract the writing to others.

The main one being that the supposed killer has an alibi that no one seems to notice.

The main one being that the supposed killer has an alibi that no one seems to notice.

Dont seem to recall that a murder was central to any of the plots...there was nuclear waste, smuggling, kidnapping, redneck rebellians, mafia scams, money laundering....not much outright murder....except his brother and he only found out about that by accident.

In one shot it is. Three people are apparently shot randomly. A man is framed for the killings. In order to frame him they needed to get him out of his house. They did so by setting him up on a date. Hmmmm....

SPOILER

I think the alibi was the girl who got killed later on.

The real flaw is that did the bad guy's know about the alleged shooters history? If not then are we to presume the selected him by accident? If so then why not just leak it to the press in which case game over.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone who was planning to see it.... I assumed I was one of the last to see it :)

Didn't mean to sound over-critical intially, just that I'm quite a big Poirot fan and so to see a plot device so blatantly ripped off was a bit much!

The bit where Reacher escapes in the car chase by abandoning the car and hiding in the queue for the bus, then the guy next to him lends him his baseball cap was a nice touch :)

As an aside The ABC Murders pops up now and again on ITV3 and it's outstanding TV.

I've added a couple to the Audible.co.uk "Wish list" to get for the next time I have to traipse back up to Essex and I'll pick up a paperback when I'm in Waterstone's.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone who was planning to see it.... I assumed I was one of the last to see it :)

Didn't mean to sound over-critical intially, just that I'm quite a big Poirot fan and so to see a plot device so blatantly ripped off was a bit much!

The bit where Reacher escapes in the car chase by abandoning the car and hiding in the queue for the bus, then the guy next to him lends him his baseball cap was a nice touch :)

As an aside The ABC Murders pops up now and again on ITV3 and it's outstanding TV.

I've added a couple to the Audible.co.uk "Wish list" to get for the next time I have to traipse back up to Essex and I'll pick up a paperback when I'm in Waterstone's.

I recommend reading them they're like the Tv series 'the littlest hobo', but with a person instead of a dog.

Its like Injin Says. they should be shite and in many ways they are, but Ive read most of them and enjoyed them all. The one they did the film on was one of the weakest, but the writing is not as poor as you'd expect for airport trash.

I cant put my finger on it but you get the feeling the author is taking the piss out of someone. One guy I know, (an american) reckonned it was the yanks, I think its the reader whose just bought the book.