House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

"the World's End" (Film)

Anybody seen the sci-fi comedy The World's End?

It had a surprisingly unexpected and downbeat ending, and was also a commentary on the conformist, invasive nature of mobile phones, pub restaurant chains, and the terrible boringness of the UK suburban towns.

I shall probably see that one! Aliens AND 12 pints! Why do not the Americans think like this? :blink:

Wasn't planning to as always found the Edgar Wright/Pegg/Frost output very over-rated but might give it a go now.

Watched Attack The Block the other night. Hard to find a bad word about it review wise on the internet but would have to classify it as one of the worst films I've seen recently.

Think there's a lot of self-delusion that we've got a young, vibrant and creative film industry.

Wasn't planning to as always found the Edgar Wright/Pegg/Frost output very over-rated but might give it a go now.

Watched Attack The Block the other night. Hard to find a bad word about it review wise on the internet but would have to classify it as one of the worst films I've seen recently.

Think there's a lot of self-delusion that we've got a young, vibrant and creative film industry.

Online reviews, especially at the IMDB, became untrustworthy a long time ago.

I'll certainly check out The World's End, but I won't be expecting too much.

To be fair I didn't find The World's End to be as engrossing as Spaced nor as sharp as Shaun of Dead (heavily repackaging that film and also blending in elements/the feel of Hot Fuzz).

The protagonists were annoying street urchins led by a disturbed youth who was one bad day away from fatally stabbing someone, but it was realistic they would be the lesser evils to the alien invaders. Attack the Block felt like The World's End and those French cyberpunk movies set in the fictional District 13.

How young are you?

It was filmed partly in Letchworth, where I spent a miserable 6 months last year, and is partly a criticism of the soul-sucking tedium of new towns like it. I don't really want to be reminded of it, but will probably see it just for the scene where they blow up Letchworth's claim to fame, the UK's first roundabout (yes, it really is that dull).

Online reviews, especially at the IMDB, became untrustworthy a long time ago.

I'll certainly check out The World's End, but I won't be expecting too much.

I usually check the consumer reviews on amazon.co.uk before I buy a film, they're quite reliable.

How young are you?

I could pull off a more convincing UFO stoner buddy on an RV trip across America than Pegg and Frost with their creepy uncle vibe.

Anyway, how do you know I'm not sat in the corner of some tiny office above a shop in Soho with my Macbook on my skinny jean clad lap about to launch the next viral video sensation on the world?

Joe Cornish, the guy who made Attack the Block, is 45. (edit: young, vibrantish looking film. Not so young, vibrant writer/ director)

I laughed pretty much all the way through it but that's down to me growing up in the area it was filmed. The thought of space-aliens attempting to invade the Heygate Estate/ Elephant & Castle and getting their heads kicked-in was more than enough to see me through at least two entire movies.

Apparently, the Heygate gets attacked by zombies in World War Z.

BBC:

Many people would enjoy opening their front door to see a Hollywood star making their new movie, but residents living in the Aylesbury and Heygate housing estates in South London have had enough of film-makers.

They have become two of the most recognisable estates in the country, after appearing as the backdrop for films such as Harry Brown and numerous TV shows including the The Bill and Spooks.

It is the sheer size of the estates that is a draw to directors. With long lines, corridors and walkways, they can be a film-maker's dream. But as a result of complaints, Southwark Council has enforced strict guidelines for anyone wanting to film on the Aylesbury or Heygate housing estates.

"I don't want to see any filming on the Aylesbury that portrays violence and all the things that are not right for the estate," says Jean Bartlett, who speaks on behalf of the Aylesbury Residents and Tenants Association.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Front Row she admits the locals have, in the past, welcomed stars and film crews.

"We all did (welcome them) at first because there was funding coming from the film companies.

"I think that over time time it was the same subjects being used.... violence, drugs and run-down areas, which then portrayed the estate as a hell-hole."...

Oh yes it is

Shaun of the Dead was good, but it's one of those films that I never really want to see again even though I enjoyed it. Not sure why.

So it took me a couple of years to see Hot Fuzz and it was much better than I thought it would be ("yaaaarb... yaaaarb...... naaaarb?")

Attack the Block was good fun "hey lady you got a right potty mouth" but not really all that memorable, seemed to succeed in spite of a low budget.

I'll put The World's End in the Blockbuster list, it might even turn up sometime before the end of next year ;)

Shaun of the Dead was good, but it's one of those films that I never really want to see again even though I enjoyed it. Not sure why.

So it took me a couple of years to see Hot Fuzz and it was much better than I thought it would be ("yaaaarb... yaaaarb...... naaaarb?")

Attack the Block was good fun "hey lady you got a right potty mouth" but not really all that memorable, seemed to succeed in spite of a low budget.

I'll put The World's End in the Blockbuster list, it might even turn up sometime before the end of next year ;)

IMHO, Hot Fuzz isn't a patch on SOTD...Paul was a bit, well "meh" too...

IMHO, Hot Fuzz isn't a patch on SOTD...Paul was a bit, well "meh" too...

I wasn't compelled to watch Paul either and won't intend to. Hot Fuzz is stronger than The World's End in certain ways (a more interesting small town setting and Timothy Dalton was more entertainingly hammy than Broser). The World's End has a very strong late 80s/early 90s retro soundtrack mind you (with "I'm Free", "Fools Gold", "This Corrosion" and "Step Back in Time").

Guest eight

Oh yes it is

Ill Manors is probably more up your street. Literally.

Anybody seen the sci-fi comedy The World's End?

It had a surprisingly unexpected and downbeat ending, and was also a commentary on the conformist, invasive nature of mobile phones, pub restaurant chains, and the terrible boringness of the UK suburban towns.

Those are hardly things that need pointing out for anyone who hasn't been living on the moon (although half of HPC seems desperate to create as much of them as possible).

I may give it a miss, although I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Not keen on downbeat endings; IMO they only need to exist to stop upbeat ones from being far too predictable and hence unsatisfying.

Enjoyed Spaced. Really seemed to capture my generation. Not too fussed about any of the rest of their output. It passes the time but that's it. Fair play to them for spotting that there's a man-boy geek demographic that needs serving though.

I thought "Burke and Hare" to one of Mr Pegg's finest! ;)

Anyone who didn't enjoy Shaun Of The Dead & Hot Fuzz are quite frankly strange. Edgar Wrights other movie Scott Pilgrim vs The World, is in my top ten. So I have high expectations of this film.

I liked it actually. Not seen Shaun or Fuzz for a while but initially, I would rate it better.

I would probably project a few themes onto the film whether they are really there or not and there is a grade A, gold plated HPC moment in the film early on. Raised a big laugh from the row in front.

Looking forward to seeing it again when it's on DVD/tv for all the subtler cues I would have missed.

Caught it the other night. Have to say I was a bit disappointed but not surprised. I REALLY enjoyed the previous two & deep down knew they couldn't pull it off a third time. I didn't regret going to see it though.