House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Prickly So And Sos

The gooseberries. not the plot holders.

So sweet! A fab crop this year: 600g off the allotment plant - first crop from it. and 1.6kg from one at home.

I think I am going to have to buy some jars to turn all this fruit into jam!

I've also had a tomato off my outdoor ones today!

Good yield of courgettes, both green and yellow...lots of spinach and kale and leaves for salad all different colours .....beetroot quite good smaller but tasty all the leaves used (like spinach) so no waste there.....broad beans and peas, runners to come, cucumber, spring onions, various herbs, parsley, oregano, marjoram, coriander, basil, rosemary, chives, thyme, bay and chervil...tomatoes set, no blight so not long to wait now. ;)

Watered the potatoes, but not enough as half have shrivelled :(

On the positive side, the haricot beans are climbing to the sky and have got leaves like plates. Hopefully will get a bumper crop!

So sweet! A fab crop this year: 600g off the allotment plant - first crop from it. and 1.6kg from one at home.

Gooseberry jam is fantastic! I haven't tasted it since my Dad died 20-odd years ago :(

Guess I should get my act together and give it a go!

I've had to re-learn the need to water in the garden, it's been a while..

Courgettes

Thousands of 'em

Tomatoes/ squashes/ pumpkins/ cucumbers ripping along

Beans of all sorts covered in blackfly. Ladybirds and ladybird larvae have started to appear and are doing their thing.

Spuds and onions a bit meh. Lettuces have bolted

First batch of mint wine has been cleared and bottled. Preliminary tastings resulted in demands that I put at least another couple of gallons on.

Courgettes

Thousands of 'em

Tomatoes/ squashes/ pumpkins/ cucumbers ripping along

Beans of all sorts covered in blackfly. Ladybirds and ladybird larvae have started to appear and are doing their thing.

Spuds and onions a bit meh. Lettuces have bolted

First batch of mint wine has been cleared and bottled. Preliminary tastings resulted in demands that I put at least another couple of gallons on.

Put that on my things must do list...... ;)

How are the plot holders?!

(Maybe I shouldn't have asked...)

How are the plot holders?!

(Maybe I shouldn't have asked...)

Yeah don't ask.

I too have millions of courgettes. Am giving them away by the bag load.

I need to get another gallon on mint wine on too!

And probably some strawberry to use the tons of strawberries that are hogging freezer space. Going to be a fab year for jam. Got blackcurrants to pick yet but am out of freezer space so they will have to wait until I've used some fruit up. Or all go for wine. But I haven't tasted last years yet.

There's some good gardening going on here, but you should Google Arthur Leafmould if you want the professional's take on all things allotment and a few bedroom antics thrown in. Arthur's blogging these days...

Lettuce has kept me in work lunches for over 2 months now,with added onion and a tin of sardines and olive oil, bloody yummy ;)

Boiling some beetroot as I type, used the leaves and stems with some pots from the garden, served

with fresh local butchers sausages, went down a treat.

Courgettes didn't appear, must have been a poor pack of seeds, loads of parsnips, onions, pots for the rest of England, did well from my first year if strawberries, had loads of cabbage too, but I ate it lol

OK, why is it so hard to get geeseberry[1] in the shops?

I've found them a couple of times this season in Morrisons, but the numbers are tiny. Nothing at all in the shops within walking distance, which include a huge Sainsburys.

But they are lovely! Made a Fool of the last batch, and it was absolutely delicious.

[1] Well, you don't say gooses :P

OK, why is it so hard to get geeseberry[1] in the shops?

I've found them a couple of times this season in Morrisons, but the numbers are tiny. Nothing at all in the shops within walking distance, which include a huge Sainsburys.

But they are lovely! Made a Fool of the last batch, and it was absolutely delicious.

[1] Well, you don't say gooses :P

No greengrocer?

Buy a bush from £shop in the spring and you'll be able to grow your own.

We're having gooseberry something for after tea. Not sure what yet.

What can I plant now to replace my new spuds?

They were doing great but now seem to be dyeing off, so I'm thinking of harvesting and putting something else in the plot (only have spuds in as didn't have much time to plan anything else...).

They were doing great but now seem to be dyeing off, so I'm thinking of harvesting and putting something else in the plot (only have spuds in as didn't have much time to plan anything else...).

I'd suggest turnips - purple top milan or milan white

They'll be ready by the end of August/ start of September. Small ones are excellent raw in salads, larger ones keep for the winter and the 'greens' are good to eat as well.

No greengrocer?

Unfortunately not within walking distance. Nor further afield with opening hours to suit my regular shopping. So that's now a rare treat.

Buy a bush from £shop in the spring and you'll be able to grow your own.

When I have that plot of land to grow them on, geeseberry will be one of my first priorities.

(dream on).

Turnip, radish, lettuce

If you can buy 6"-8" leek plants - get 'em in!

Unfortunately not within walking distance. Nor further afield with opening hours to suit my regular shopping. So that's now a rare treat.

When I have that plot of land to grow them on, geeseberry will be one of my first priorities.

(dream on).

Guerilla it.