House Price Crash Forum

At least 2,300 Britons defrauded.

Boiler Room scam

Police said he and Odoni, who was hiding in the Dominican Republic to avoid extradition for his crimes, have so far shown no remorse.

Odoni was only caught when a flight he was on suffered engine trouble and had to unexpectedly divert to Miami. He therefore had to land on US soil and was arrested.

Unlucky.

Come to the conclusion that if anyone has to ring you up to sell you something, whatever they are selling is no good.

One suspects some due diligence on the net, would have revealed these stocks as duds (or the company pushing them).

Boomers do seem particularly susceptible to these scams.

From the article:

"These were arrogant criminals who were just ripping off UK investors,"

Just like the banksters in the City of London then, but the banksters are 'untouchable'... :ph34r:

Come to the conclusion that if anyone has to ring you up to sell you something, whatever they are selling is no good.

One suspects some due diligence on the net, would have revealed these stocks as duds (or the company pushing them).

Boomers do seem particularly susceptible to these scams.

I have never bought anything as a result of a cold call.

Occasionally, if it sounds a good idea, I'll seek out a competitor and approach them, but I will never buy from a company that phones me to try to flog me something.

It is an offence to tought share dealing by cold calling.

I had one from Wall Street...even sent me a card and prospectus, indeed, did have a wall street address....Of course, none of the portfolio was available to normal markets...it was their "exclusives".

Had "David" the Indian ringing me up twice this week to fix my computer cos Microsoft had told him of a virus, my phone number and name.

10 minutes of listening to my radio must really pee him off.

It is an offence to tought share dealing by cold calling.

I had one from Wall Street...even sent me a card and prospectus, indeed, did have a wall street address....Of course, none of the portfolio was available to normal markets...it was their "exclusives".

Had "David" the Indian ringing me up twice this week to fix my computer cos Microsoft had told him of a virus, my phone number and name.

Sorry, Bloo Loo:- 'tought' - I think you mean 'tout'.

The use of the radio is a nice idea. :)

much obliged...Im not taking enough fat to power the spelling part of my brain.

I had one of these boiler rooms phoning me.I strung them along for a long time until i got the bank details etc to send the money to.I then passed these to the City of London police while i continued to string them along.

Iv had them on selling carbon credits,pink diamonds,land,wine ,you name it.Sometimes they sound coked up when they ring or drunk.I always try to abuse them as much as possible when they ring.

These people though have stole the life savings of many a person and need long jail time.

Thanks for that. I find a lot of the posts on HPC are unreadable due to poor grammar, spelling etc. I know, it's bad form to correct people but it is getting ridiculous. One post yesterday from a regular seemed like it had been written by a Chinese using google translate.

How come he wasn't in transit / no mans land like Snowden - surely as long as he didn't leave the transit area he should have been ok?

It would seem that the legal status of someone in a transit zone is somewhat vague (and, essentially, the Russians were lying with respect to Snowden). They were created to get around the problem of people requiring visas for countries they were only using for transit, but they do not have anything like the status accorded to embassies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/06/25/russias-own-visa-rules-say-moscow-has-had-legal-right-to-seize-snowden-for-past-24-hours/

Thanks for that. I find a lot of the posts on HPC are unreadable due to poor grammar, spelling etc. I know, it's bad form to correct people but it is getting ridiculous. One post yesterday from a regular seemed like it had been written by a Chinese using google translate.

corrective text has a lot to answer for (well that is my excuse). :rolleyes:

No one will see any jail time for this will they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23430030

Royal Bank of Scotland has been fined £5.6m for failing to properly report almost 45 million trades.

The fine relates to the period between November 2007 and February 2013 when regulators found mistakes in more than a third of the bank's transactions.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said the problem was made even worse by the takeover of ABN Amro Bank in 2007.

Mistakes included failing to properly identify the parties in a trade and using the wrong date and prices.

Included in the 44.8 million misreported trades were 804,000 transactions that were not reported at all.

"These failures are particularly concerning because the FCA already provides extensive guidance to firms on how to submit and check these reports, and has taken action against seven firms, including Barclays and Credit Suisse, for similar reporting errors," said Tracey McDermott, the FCA's director of enforcement and financial crime.

The fine includes a 30% discount, which was given because RBS decided not to fight the results of the FCA investigation.

My bold.

RBS knew what they were doing was wrong not only now but at the time. This will be chalked down to one you lose. It is the numerous ones they win and no one hears about that they get away with and gives them the incentive to do it.

Guest eight

I take the same approach with all advertising.

The thing that most bugs me about these frauds is how people so clearly stupid/gullible managed to obtain enough wealth to be worth defrauding in the first place. In fact if pushed I would say they deserve to lose it anyway for their own greed.

Odoni was only caught when a flight he was on suffered engine trouble and had to unexpectedly divert to Miami. He therefore had to land on US soil and was arrested.

Ah! - so he was the guy who offered to fit a new set of spark plugs and points in mid-air....

Edited by juvenal

I take the same approach with all advertising.

The thing that most bugs me about these frauds is how people so clearly stupid/gullible managed to obtain enough wealth to be worth defrauding in the first place. In fact if pushed I would say they deserve to lose it anyway for their own greed.

There are very few things, I didn't know I didn't have, until an advert told me! :unsure:

You were too nice to him. I managed to get one cold caller to call me back 5 times in a row shouting expletifs down the phone at me for wasting his time. He only stopped when I told him the matter was being put in the hands of the police. Gotta love a good wind up :)

Just had a phone call today telling me my windows computer was faulty. Very suspicious I did follow what they said for a while. It was when they told me my windows licence had expired and I could buy three or five year licence that I knew for certain what the game was.

TBH I am a bit embarrassed how far I did follow their instructions with them taking over the controls at one point. although I knew what they were saying didn't add up I couldn't see what they were trying to gain.

I have never bought anything as a result of a cold call.

Occasionally, if it sounds a good idea, I'll seek out a competitor and approach them, but I will never buy from a company that phones me to try to flog me something.

Thats what i do as well, i google to find the cheapest company and buy from them.

I haven't seen the Wolf Of Wallstreet, but it sounds like the original Boiler Room Film.

Apparently we see Leonardo De Caprio snort cocaine out of a womans crack in the film....

Hey there I got a special allocation for my special clients - (thats you dummy!) We got a limited number of stock thats going to IPO in a few months, but I need you to be with me on this. I got 50,000 shares, and I have 5m allocated by the firm for our special clients. They are THE people who are into developing crypto-currencies with patented technologies exclusive to ACME holdings.

But I need to you to say yes to this now, or I move on to the next client.

So what do you say?

ALWAYS BE CLOSING.

(contains swearing)

Edited by 200K