House Price Crash Forum
EmmaRoid

Should Housing Benefit Be Renamed Help To Rent?

Is HB like Help2Rent?

Subsidising landlords not tenants? Like help2buy supports banks, builders and sellers, not buyers.

Struggling as can't read a Jon Eley FT article about why there's no help2rent but I think it already exists.

Am I right?

Edited by 7 Year Itch

Is HB like Help2Rent?

Subsidising landlords not tenants? Like help2buy supports banks, builders and sellers, not buyers.

Struggling as can't read a Jon Eley FT article about why there's no help2rent but I think it already exists.

Am I right?

You are right. It is "Help2Rent". Very well put.

Its a tough one trying to get an accurate description of what's going on.

how about this:

HUMPERS:

"Housing Usury Market Ponzi Edifice Ramping Support"

or similar.

Is HB like Help2Rent?

Am I right?

It means that a large swathe of the population can't afford to buy or rent, so they need help from the government. Obviously it makes far more sense to prop up property values via HTB and HB, rather than let it return to affordable levels.

It means that a large swathe of the population can't afford to buy or rent, so they need help from the government. Obviously it makes far more sense to prop up property values via HTB and HB, rather than let it return to affordable levels.

Which is of course why we have needed social housing. At any one time. 30-40% of the population cannot afford the "market rent" due to lack of supply and feudalism.

Housing Benefit is now the method of choice for subsidy with the added benefit that it more recently has tended to underpin the market rent.

Furthermore the old fashioned social housing solution doesn't enrich a small property owning elite.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Which is of course why we have needed social housing. At any one time. 30-40% of the population cannot afford the "market rent" due to lack of supply and feudalism.

Housing Benefit is now the method of choice for subsidy with the added benefit that it more recently has tended to underpin the market rent.

Furthermore the old fashioned social housing solution doesn't enrich a small property owning elite.

I was amazed when this government got into power and started attacking social tenants as if they were a cause of the crisis! Jesus wept.

I was amazed when this government got into power and started attacking social tenants as if they were a cause of the crisis! Jesus wept.

Well don't make the mistake in thinking this government are Tories because they are not. More the re-establishment of the rent seeking Whig elite.

Obviously it's subsidizing landlords, but it's also subsidizing the people who employ low-wage labour.

BigCo wants someone to clean their office, but aren't prepared to pay enough for someone to live close enough to be physically able to do the job. Taxpayer to the rescue! We'll subsidize the housing, BigCo just has to pay a pittance on top.

Ideally I would prefer a planning liberalisation, allowing individuals and small local builders' access to affordable building plots. But if that is politically impossible, thanks to the NIMBYs + Local Authorities alliance, then any other source of supply would be better than nothing, even Council Estates and Barratts developments, sadly.

"Help to buy" should be renamed "Transfer of Wealth to Property Developers and Speculators (Capital)" and "Housing Benefit" to "Transfer of Wealth to Property Developers and Speculators (Income)"

Edited by BigPig