House Price Crash Forum

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

In the car industry, Formula 1 provides a commercial testbed for cutting-edge technologies. The Ubuntu Edge project aims to do the same for the mobile phone industry -- to provide a low-volume, high-technology platform, crowdfunded by enthusiasts and mobile computing professionals. A pioneering project that accelerates the adoption of new technologies and drives them down into the mainstream.

This beautifully crafted smartphone is a proving ground for the most advanced mobile technologies on the horizon, a showpiece for true mobile innovation. And at the heart of it all is convergence: connect to any monitor and this Ubuntu phone transforms into an Ubuntu PC, with a fully integrated desktop OS and shared access to all files.

We’re fascinated by converged computing, the idea that the smartphone in your pocket can also be the brain of the PC on your desk. We’ve shaped Ubuntu so you can transition seamlessly between the two environments. Now all that’s needed is a phone that’s designed from the ground up to be a PC as well.

The Ubuntu Edge is our very own superphone, a catalyst to drive the next generation of personal computing.

Well, I didn't see that one coming! I was was watching Ubuntu Touch progress with interest, but a record breaking $32m crowd funding attempt is news!

For reference, I posted this thread in February 2012: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=175109

"Is this the start of crowd funding becoming a useful way of raising money for new projects? It seems like a great way to cut out the middle men."

This way of funding certainly seems to be making good progress and it is a great fit for open source development.

[P.S. I want one of these Ubuntu Edge devices! I'm very tempted to part with the $600 worth...]

Edited by Traktion

I've been thinking for ages that my Galaxy S3 is all the 'computer' I need for day-to-day stuff. It would also be good to automatically have all my data in one place without cloud/synchronisation issues.

Niche only I think.

5 years too late on the phone side, and I don't see much of a need for a portable pc in your pocket when cloud solutions are well underway and fat client computing is so dirt cheap and easy to connect anyway.

I like this idea : This is what we are making, it will cost this much, do you want one. Definetely cuts out waste as you have commited buyers.

Also with the Raspberry Pi and SmartPhones in general, I am questioning my allegiance with Apple and Microsoft.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/canonical-ceo-jane-silber-ubuntu-edge-day-one

Ubuntu Edge has, in a mere 24 hours, smashed crowdsourcing records for an amount raised in such a short time.

I couldn't justify paying for a handset in the end, but I donated some money anyway. I think I'll install the software on my HTC One X instead, once they have it ported for now.

$830 dollars for a smartphone that your not guaranteed to get, are they joking.

I have funded several projects via kick starter. By sidestepping the middle man I would expect the phone to be cheaper than one bought in the shops not more expensive.

I have funded several projects via kick starter. By sidestepping the middle man I would expect the phone to be cheaper than one bought in the shops not more expensive.

If they don't hit the target, you get your money back.

Edited by Traktion

Regular phones are heavily subsidised by the carriers as a way to attract customers to massively expensive contracts. £500 or so for a brand new 'SIM-free' (i.e. contractless) top end smartphone is pretty normal. That's in the same ballpark as this.

I'd be very wary about putting money into that. While I'd love to see a true Linux phone, these guys have just totally over-promised. When Blackberry announced BB10, it took them 2 years to go from concept to a phone you could physically buy. Not only that, but Blackberry bought an existing OS kernel that was optimized for mobile devices, giving them a head start. Also, Blackberry are a multi-billion Dollar company and I imagine that they've spent $100's of millions ramping up for the launch of BB10. To think Canonical can have a leading edge phone out in less than a year with a budget of just $30 million is ludicrous.

Crowdfunding is great if you already have access to an audience. I know some people that have had no resources but that been able to record records, make products or publish books, sometimes looking to raise just a few grand. Means people are no longer at the mercy of gatekeepers, bank loans or rich investors. It's a great development.

I'd love an Ubuntu phone for the geekfest.

Seems a bit defeatist that it dual-boots Android as standard, though. Why make Ubuntu apps?

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

I'd be very wary about putting money into that. While I'd love to see a true Linux phone, these guys have just totally over-promised. When Blackberry announced BB10, it took them 2 years to go from concept to a phone you could physically buy. Not only that, but Blackberry bought an existing OS kernel that was optimized for mobile devices, giving them a head start. Also, Blackberry are a multi-billion Dollar company and I imagine that they've spent $100's of millions ramping up for the launch of BB10. To think Canonical can have a leading edge phone out in less than a year with a budget of just $30 million is ludicrous.

Canonical are using the open source Linux kernel from Android (CyanogenMod) as a basis, so they already have an OS kernel that is optimised for mobile devices.

Canonical has also been working on Ubuntu Touch (the OS for mobile/tablet) for some time:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Touch)

Mark Shuttleworth announced, 31 October 2011, that by Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu will support smartphones, tablets, TVs and smart screens.[2]

The Ubuntu platform for phones was unveiled on, 2 January 2013.[3][4]

The Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview was released on 21 February 2013.[5]

As they're aiming for May 2014 for this device, that doesn't seem that outlandish to me. You can already install the pre-release (alpha quality still, AFAIK) on a number of Nexus devices and there are teams porting to other existing handsets too.

The benefit of open source software is that you can select from what is already out there (and extend/improve it).

Edited by Traktion

Agree with the last comment, why bother with Ubuntu?

The kick in the teeth will come when Android becomes a default computer OS. This product will lose its USP soon enough. Why should I bother with Ubuntu when I can connect any Android (or indeed Apple) phone to a monitor? Indeed, the fact that it boots Android as standard slightly defeats its purpose.

I don't see any techno-geeks on here espousing the awesome-ness of Ubuntu over Android either.

The kick in the teeth will come when Android becomes a default computer OS. This product will lose its USP soon enough. Why should I bother with Ubuntu when I can connect any Android (or indeed Apple) phone to a monitor? Indeed, the fact that it boots Android as standard slightly defeats its purpose.

I don't see any techno-geeks on here espousing the awesome-ness of Ubuntu over Android either.

Personally, I'm not sure Android will make it that far. As Google have Chrome OS (also based Linux) too, I'm not sure they do either.

Regardless, it's good to have competition and options. Ubuntu desktop has less than 1% of that market as it is, but it doesn't stop many people from using/enjoying/developing it.

Because Ubuntu supporters want to see a Ubuntu phone and have put their money where their mouth is?

Ticker guy points out the power savings of the new Blackberry Z10 running QNX

It's now about 3:45 and that's where my charge level is. That would be fairly good and frankly standing alone would impress me, except for one little point -- there were in fact close to two hours (see the "dips" downward in draw into negative territory?) of Bluetooth audio streaming (not plugged into a pair of headphones, rather playing via Bluetooth which consumes power to transmit) in there accumulated while I was working in the yard and which accounted for close to 15% of the decline from 100% to 75%. From about 8:30 to 9:30 (when I got rained on HARD) and then again from about 1:15 - 2:00.

Absent those two hours I'd likely be in the high 80% area right now and the "business day" has an hour left!

I haven't changed a thing in how I use the phone. What's changed is power management -- it's gotten progressively better as the innate advantages that QNX has are being brought to the forefront.

However I think he has shares in Blackberry! :lol:

But one of the major issues of smart phones is short battery life, especially when you actually start using the things on the move.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Because Ubuntu supporters want to see a Ubuntu phone and have put their money where their mouth is?

Ticker guy points out the power savings of the new Blackberry Z10 running QNX

However I think he has shares in Blackberry! :lol:

But one of the major issues of smart phones is short battery life, especially when you actually start using the things on the move.

I'd be gobsmacked if there are enough rich Ubuntu enthusiasts to raise that kind of money. And that's just for the first round (I'm guessing it's the first round). There are probably lots of people piling in without a true understanding of what the risks are - reminds me of the tech-stock bubble.

Nevertheless, if they get far enough to be bought out by a giant then investors may get a good return.

Android isn't much of a Linux. It's a Linux Kernel with a sort of Java-derrived layer on top. Java code are compiled to Dalvik, Android's own virtual machine. Hence the excitement over a phone based on a proper, fuller Linux distribution.

Having seen a Nexus running the alpha Touch it's a brilliant interface already far superior to Android. There's definitely at least a large niche for this thing in the market from the kind of people that thought the N900 was the best thing ever.

Google is king of search and maps but gets undue reverence. A lot of their products are dire - Google+, Chrome OS, etc.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

I'd be gobsmacked if there are enough rich Ubuntu enthusiasts to raise that kind of money. And that's just for the first round (I'm guessing it's the first round). There are probably lots of people piling in without a true understanding of what the risks are - reminds me of the tech-stock bubble.

Nevertheless, if they get far enough to be bought out by a giant then investors may get a good return.

They are only crowd funding this Ubuntu Edge handset development. I'm not sure why they're doing it, but maybe they just want to build up a buzz around the new mobile OS?

They are working with carriers and handset manufacturers to roll out Ubuntu Touch phones in a more traditional way too. Any handset designed for Android should be relatively simple to port to.

Edited by Traktion

Android isn't much of a Linux. It's a Linux Kernel with a sort of Java-derrived layer on top. Java code are compiled to Dalvik, Android's own virtual machine. Hence the excitement over a phone based on a proper, fuller Linux distribution on a phone.

Haven't seen a Nexus running the alpha Touch it's a brilliant interface already far superior to Android. There's definitely at least a large niche for this thing in the market from the kind of people that thought the N900 was the best thing ever.

Google is king of search and maps but gets undue reverence. A lot of their products are dire - Google+, Chrome OS, etc.

Yes I was always intrigued to know how Android devices which were running some kind of Linux could support stuff like Netflix which contains DRM, and of course you can't even view Netflix services on a normal Linux device/PC as Mono doesn't as yet support the DRM requirements without running a virtual machine (I think, sometime since I checked). Clearly the "android virtual machine" is a get around.

Android isn't much of a Linux. I

You can't even easily print from it and stuff like Google Docs sucks when run under Android. It is not really usable as a desktop OS.

Canonical are using the open source Linux kernel from Android (CyanogenMod) as a basis, so they already have an OS kernel that is optimised for mobile devices.

Canonical has also been working on Ubuntu Touch (the OS for mobile/tablet) for some time:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Touch)

As they're aiming for May 2014 for this device, that doesn't seem that outlandish to me. You can already install the pre-release (alpha quality still, AFAIK) on a number of Nexus devices and there are teams porting to other existing handsets too.

The benefit of open source software is that you can select from what is already out there (and extend/improve it).

I have seen their preview OS and all it consisted of was a UI that wasn't even capable of making a phone call.

What Ubuntu are promising with this phone is just crazy. Samsung have only just announced that 3gb memory chips have gone into production for mobile devices. Also, a 128gb SSD doesn't even exist in a mobile phone yet.

How can Ubuntu promise things that don't even exist? A lot of people are going to end up disappointed.

Edited by NuBrit