House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jfk

Staples In Stationery Price Shocker

Daughter is making a thank you card / space rocket for her year 1 teacher as an end-of-year pressie, needed some coloured paper to complete it ... so as we were passing Staples just popped in there.

Bought some blu-tack (£1.80)

Looked at the price of single pieces of paper / packets of coloured paper - extortionate, so decided to stuff that, little 'un picked up a packet of assorted colour sticky notes (I miss-read the price from a distance as was looking at the over-priced tablets) and then went to the checkout.

... nearly dropped when the check out assistant rang through the total - £12.80, no way I said, they were £2.50. So went with the checkout assistant to the display bin where youngest had picked up the sticky notes, sure enough they were priced at £11. f*ck that I thought

tbf the assistant did look a bit embarrassed, she went over to the staples own-brand section and picked up a packet of sticky-notes which looked the same but were £4.40 ... erm no thanks I said.

Also noticed that the price for shorthand notepads - £2

Kids colouring/drawing pads - £3.50

So paid for the blu-tack, went to tesco's on the way back, packet of coloured sticky notes ONE POUND

Also picked up a selection of large blank scribbling/drawing pads, highlighter pens, pencils for a couple of quid.

These are basically the items Staples were trying to charge extortionate prices for:

http://www.staples.co.uk/paper-notebooks-cards/post-it-notes-stickies/post-it-notes/super-sticky-notes-assorted-neon-76-x-76mm-5-pads

http://www.staples.co.uk/paper-notebooks-cards/post-it-notes-stickies/post-it-notes/notes-cube-neon-pink-76-x-76mm-1-pad

... interesting to observe Staples, it was completely empty apart from a few people picking up printer cartridges, mobile phone/tablet accessories. I quickly perused the tablets to see what they were charging, they prominently had iPads (well I'm getting a Google nexus as they are cheaper, not apple products and much better... oh they didn't have any in store either), over priced laptops. There was a sales guy chatting with a boomer couple about a laptop they were buying.

Seems that they are trying to sell larger items (desks/chairs/tablets) with prominent "Half price" adverts but the price of other stationary is ridiculous. I last bought a shed load of laser printer paper from Sainsbury's as Staples were too expensive.

... happy to keep doing my thing for the jobless consumer led recovery!!!

Edited by jfk

Dont think staples has ever been cheap, they just always had a good selection of stuff. As a heathen left handed child when i was younger they always seemed to stock the exact line of pen i needed to write without smudging.

Cant make much of a profit though. I think there are two large ones in Cambridge, both are usually empty. One is going to be turned into student flats soon.

I thought you meant the prices weren't moving.

I hope she can spell stationery.

well spotted sir!

Daughter is making a thank you card / space rocket for her year 1 teacher as an end-of-year pressie, needed some coloured paper to complete it ... so as we were passing Staples just popped in there.

Bought some blu-tack (£1.80)

Looked at the price of single pieces of paper / packets of coloured paper - extortionate, so decided to stuff that, little 'un picked up a packet of

Staples seem to have improve from the Office world days but they are still as expensive as WH Smith.

Get your stationary from Wilkinsons, Pound Shop, the Supermarket (sometimes) or Ryman...