House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gametheory

Economy 7 Heating

I'm considering buying a flat with E7 heating and having no experience of living with E7 I'm wondering what exactly I should find out beforehand. Also any ideas on how much more expensive it is than oil/gas and the other pros/cons? Would be working from home the odd day, but mostly just the usual time outside the 9-5 job spent at home. Appreciate any help or advice.

Edited by Gametheory

It's about 6p/kwh v 16p kwh with my supplier.

I think you need to use at least 30% off peak p.a. to break even.

Obviously the more high kwh devices you can use during the off-peak the better. Such as tumble drier, hot water heater and so on.

Personally I find it inconvenient and much prefer on demand gas energy supply. One advantage perhaps for an owner/occupier of all electric though is no gas boiler maintenance/replacement.

A fireman told me that Dishwashers are a very common cause of house fires, and could not believe that some people run them at night to save electricity.

Really? I run mine during the day when I'm out at work. :o

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

Hi mate,

It depends on what sort of heaters the flat has.

My understand is that if you're on an economy 7 tariff, you ideally want storage heaters.

Our rented flat has the worst, most expensive type of heating - Electric Central Heating, so we have to be VERY careful with the heating when we use it. We're rented so can't put in in a better heating system.

The flat I'm just about to move out of has E7 and it's terrible. The flat doesn't seem to retain heat like a conventional flat / house with central heating which means it cools quickly. It cost about £800 for the year with Power NI which I think is expensive for a 2 bed flat. Saying that, we always had hot water and never had to use the immersion.

I would consider installing a central heating system. I'm no plumber, but I'd guess that you could do that for about £3k (?)

E7 as a metering system is different to e7 storage heaters.

The old form of storage heaters, which consisted of a dense concrete block, heated by an electric coil, dried out the air and give an unpleasant dry sensitisation.

My early career was spent on site with port-a-cabins, heated by these devices and they were terrible.

Modern storage heater, involving oil filled radiators are an improvement. I am not sure which type the Obel employ, but judging by the complaints listed here it must not be pleasant. I imagine cooling would be more of a problem and I wonder how living in them over the last two weeks went.

E7 metre as a tariff has its uses. If you have ground source heating pump, for example E7 can be a big saving. The heat, can be collected over night and stored in the concrete floors and walls. Solar can boost the water during the day. This wont work so well in timber frame.

Te largest user of energy, (if u have kids) is the washing machine. They have delay cycles and can be set to work over night. I have read the above about the fire hazard. I have not heard too much about this before. With smoke alarms etc this would not concern me whilst I am in the house.

If you don't have the above then the tariff change is unlikely to be a saving at all.

Its storage heaters by the looks of it (not Obel) and my use of it may be intermittent as in away for a few days or a week at a time. Does this make E7 expensive. Since for example if I was to come back after a week away in the winter would i have to either leave the E7 on whilst away or wait until the next day to get heat again?