House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

Opendns

Anyone using it? I'm using it at home (managed to set up my router to give out their servers in DHCP) but if I install the DNSUpdater and DNSCrypt applications on my laptop, will it mess me up when I use my laptop at work?

Windows at home and work, by the way. No idea what DNS is used at work but it won't be OpenDNS.

Anyone using it? I'm using it at home (managed to set up my router to give out their servers in DHCP) but if I install the DNSUpdater and DNSCrypt applications on my laptop, will it mess me up when I use my laptop at work?

Windows at home and work, by the way. No idea what DNS is used at work but it won't be OpenDNS.

Depends on how you have your laptop network setup. You can setup your network (whether wireless or wired) so it only get an IP address via DHCP.

That way you will be using OpenDNS not only at home but at work as well.

OpenDNS isn't a bad idea actually as quite often its a way of getting to sites your ISP has blocked or redirects you to if a domain isn't working properly, though I tend to run my own caching nameserver at home.

The downside is that DNS lookups might be slower as the OpenDNS servers are not hosted directly on your ISP's networks despite the use of Akamai.

Right - I've put OpenDNS Updater and DNSCrypt on my laptop anyway. Everything seems exactly the same at home. Tomorrow morning I'm going to plug it in at work and see what happens. I can always just turn the damn things off.