House Price Crash Forum
@contradevian

100,000 Homes May Be Built On Green Belt

http://www.telegraph...-Belt-land.html

Chris Skidmore, the Tory MP for Kingswood, Bristol, has set up the All Party Parliamentary Group on the Green Belt to ensure the land is given the protection that ministers have promised.

He said: "If there is to be building on the Green Belt, it must only be in exceptional circumstances and should not be imposed from above.

"There is an uneven playing field as a developer can have a right to appeal but a community cannot do anything if a council decides to allow a developer to build on an area of Green Belt land."

The boundaries are being changed by councils as part of their core strategy plans for development in their areas, where they are required to set aside land for five years' worth of house building.

Under the NPPF, developers who submit applications for buildings that fit with these local plans will receive automatic consent. In a concession to conservation campaigners, including the National Trust which opposed the reforms amid fears they would allow unchecked development, ministers pledged the changes to the planning system would continue to protect the Green Belt.

However, under a loophole in the new regulations, councils can "redesignate" their land "under exceptional circumstances" and many are now using this to allow building to take place.

About time!

Edited by aSecureTenant

The telegraph article mentions a few areas where areas of green belt might be utilised - but from the article apparently none in London where there's bubble level sky high house prices, quite a lot of green belt and some would say a desperate need for more housing.

So the area in most desperate need for more housing seems to be completely excluded from the list. Seems a bit crazy to say the least.

Edited by billybong

I live in Surrey and rather than more Barratt boxes I'd rather see less people crammed in here...

I live in Surrey and rather than more Barratt boxes I'd rather see less people crammed in here...

Move if you don't like it or learn to live with it.

Aliens may arrive from outer space. ;)

I share the sentiment on Barratt boxes, but crammed in?

293ed7d.png

You think they will allow building on anywhere other than the bits of green belt/space near where the 'commoners' live? :rolleyes: Surrey isn't paved with gold...or green. The well-off areas will stay green and pleasant. The shit parts will get shitter.

You think they will allow building on anywhere other than the bits of green belt/space near where the 'commoners' live? :rolleyes: Surrey isn't paved with gold...or green. The well-off areas will stay green and pleasant. The shit parts will get shitter.

So what's your alternative?

So what's your alternative?

Correct the opinion that Surrey/London/South-East is the only place of any importance on this island, and vastly reduce immigration.

Off you go then. You'll find it much cheaper living in Lincolnshire.

I'm sure I would. Not sure I see your point. I'm currently putting up with high house prices in Surrey as it is, and I still don't think building more housing estates will achieve much other than boosting the population here. There isn't enough infrastructure as it is.

Correct the opinion that Surrey/London/South-East is the only place of any importance on this island, and vastly reduce immigration.

Concreting over Surrey will help to correct that opinion wont it?

I would go for building high raised flats on hyde park that should get people leaving London in there droves.

I'm sure I would. Not sure I see your point. I'm currently putting up with high house prices in Surrey as it is, and I still don't think building more housing estates will achieve much other than boosting the population here. There isn't enough infrastructure as it is.

My point is that you have a selfish perspective.

Concreting over Surrey will help to correct that opinion wont it?

I would go for building high raised flats on hyde park that should get people leaving London in there droves.

Only in those places which are already pretty grotty! Of course I know you're being semi-humourous, but there is no way the green parts will be built on where it could affect the property prices of those who know the right people...

My point is that you have a selfish perspective.

What part of "I'm already putting up with the high house prices in Surrey" gives you that idea then? :huh::huh::huh::huh:

What part of "I'm already putting up with the high house prices in Surrey" gives you that idea then? :huh::huh::huh::huh:

What does putting up with mean?....nobody is forced to put up with it. :blink:

I still don't think building more housing estates will achieve much other than boosting the population here.

You dimiss this so casually... You do realise that the people who would be living in these new houses are humans just like you who want to have a home and a family life too, right? What you think of as an annoying new housing estate would be home for thousands of people. Do you not think a bit of happiness for somebody else has some value?

Your viewpoint is bog standard nimby "Now that I'm here, I don't want any more houses/people around here".

Totally rational (ie selfish).

Building 100,000 homes would take up just 0.3% of the Metropolitan green belt - which was laid out in the 1930s!!! - FFS

The arguments against are so pathetic.

NIMBYs in the SE want it all. They want the UK economy to be ever more concentrated there but don't want to house the people that naturally follow.

Edited by oldsport

Last time I drove through Surrey it was like rural Ireland.

30 miles outside London. Incredible.

Last time I drove through Surrey it was like rural Ireland.

30 miles outside London. Incredible.

Dida recent exercise in my own town in West Yorkshire using Google Earth.

I think if you doubled the number of housing (which no one at all is calling for) it would still be mainly green spaces, notwithstanding certain issue's with the topography, though that didn't stop them building on steep hillsides in the past. Its amazing how little space existing housing takes up.

Then move Google Earth over the town centre and then find large areas for former terraced housing/ back to backs now supermarkets, overkill ring roads and large car parks (especially the latter, you would be amazed how much space the car takes up) with really no attempt to optimise the space at all.

Near me is an industrial area called Lockwood. There is a wall but if you look carefully you can make out the frontage of three former terraced homes. Behind it is car parking.

So really we need to build up some of the countryside as cars have taken over former housing and brown field sites, where mills formerly existed.

They are demolishing the former YMCA building in town, which admittedly is a bit of an asbestos riddled eyesore, but at ome time provided temporary accomodation, and later student housing. That is now to become a car park, for the lard ass shopping brigade to waddle five minutes to the shops.

Edited by aSecureTenant

The very fact that such a tiddly number as 100,000 houses causes such a stir just shows how ridiculous and pathetic this has got.

Edited by oldsport