House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Fifth Of Under 25's To Leave Britain By 40

They may think that they will be living overseas but very few actually will. No doubt they all plan to move to Australia or Canada which has a limitless appetite for British youth.

They may think that they will be living overseas but very few actually will. No doubt they all plan to move to Australia or Canada which has a limitless appetite for British youth.

The problem is the ones that go we would probably want to stay and vice versa.

Fifth of under 25s to leave; filth of under 25s to stay. We have a bright future.

A lot of us leave in our 20s, as I did. Or as my dad did a generation earlier.

A lot of us return sometime later.

So will intelligent, hard working young people stick around to sort out the mess they didn't cause and at the same time pay off some tw@ts BTL mortgage or move? Should be an easy answer!

So will intelligent, hard working young people stick around to sort out the mess they didn't cause and at the same time pay off some tw@ts BTL mortgage or move? Should be an easy answer!

With a UK education their employment opportunities will be the same the world over, oh and Europe will be out of bounds too.

Edited by campervanman

Most will reconsider once they realize they have to make an effort to learn another language!

US is impossible to emigrate to legally. Canada and Oz want skills, so where else is there that speaks English?

A few might go to Dubai, but return after a few years.

Most will reconsider once they realize they have to make an effort to learn another language!

I thought we were talking about the intelligent/educated young?

Not a problem learning another language. It's one of the things that distinguishes those with a bit of get-up-and-go from the entitled wastrels.

so where else is there that speaks English?

Many corporations based in benelux and nordic countries use english as the "business" language so its quite easy to live and work (in white collar job) there without learning the language.

Many corporations based in benelux and nordic countries use english as the "business" language so its quite easy to live and work (in white collar job) there without learning the language.

+1 Plenty of places for educated, motivated young to move too where they don't even really need to learn the native language.

Dont the locals find that a bit offensive?

Im pretty appalled when all i hear is eastern euros speaking in their own language, or the muslims in their's in this country.

If i went to live in one of their countries id at least have the good grace to learn their language.

Edit:SpAg

Edited by Executive Sadman

Dont the locals find that a bit offensive?

Im pretty appalled when all i hear is eastern euros speaking in their own language, or the muslims in their's in this country.

If i went to live in one of their countries id at least have the good grace to learn their language.

Edit:SpAg

You'll have lower blood pressure if you cut back on the knee-jerk appalledness. Half my family are French, when in France with them I speak French. When talking to my sister walking down the high street, we speak English. Not because we couldn't conduct the conversation in French, but because its quicker,more nuanced and instinctive in our shared native language. As soon as interacting with any French people, back to French. Just because two Poles are talking to each other in Polish is no reason to insist on mandatory English.

Yeah. You can live in a ghetto, with ***-all interaction with the community around you.

Some Brits seem to do that for years on end. Rather them than me.

Yeah. You can live in a ghetto, with ***-all interaction with the community around you.

The key is to live in or near an "international city", where a good chunk of the population are not native speakers and English is common and no one bats an eyelid if you just start speaking to them in English.

They may think that they will be living overseas but very few actually will.

It's the same as those surveys that show 40% of people intend to get a new job in the next year. The intent and the action are totally different.

You'll have lower blood pressure if you cut back on the knee-jerk appalledness. Half my family are French, when in France with them I speak French. When talking to my sister walking down the high street, we speak English. Not because we couldn't conduct the conversation in French, but because its quicker,more nuanced and instinctive in our shared native language. As soon as interacting with any French people, back to French. Just because two Poles are talking to each other in Polish is no reason to insist on mandatory English.

A society that doesnt even converse in the same language isnt going to be very cohesive. Other than that its downright rude.

A society that doesnt even converse in the same language isnt going to be very cohesive. Other than that its downright rude.

Why does it matter to you what language people use for private conversations? Do you work for GCHQ?

It is certainly rude to talk in a foreign language when in the company of someone who does not speak it but whose language you do speak. I am afraid that there are a fair few immigrants in this country who do not observe that courtesy. It is a different matter for totally private conversations. I used to work with a girl from Gibraltar who used to swap from English to Spanish and back to English when talking to her Mum on the phone. I found the way they switched language mid sentence endlessly fascinating.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

It is rude to answer a mobile phone call whilst speaking to someone also.....there are many that live here and will never learn the language they in almost all cases the people who can't or won't speak were not born here.......their children that are born here will speak though.........this is a new relatively new phenomenon/change.....after second or third generation, most will blend into the values and the culture of the country they chose to live in and live by......only a matter of time. ;)

English is generally pretty pervasive in most of these countries, youl generally have no problem speaking english to taxi drivers, shop keepers, bar tenders, restaurant staff, random people on the street and in the pub etc etc. When I lived in copenhagen for a while it was no different to say living in london in terms of the % of english speaking people.

Edited by goldbug9999

English is generally pretty pervasive in most of these countries, youl generally have no problem speaking english to taxi drivers, shop keepers, bar tenders, restaurant staff, random people on the street and in the pub etc etc.

Often you get one member of the family, generally the man the head of the family who will speak for the family...or the children sometimes who will translate for the rest of the family.....they will integrate, the others will not, they don't need to. ;)