House Price Crash Forum

Whats All This I Hear About Tax Breaks For Frackers?

HOLA441

All across BBC news yesterday were the announcements of tax breaks for frackers in the UK...apparently, we need to make the thing attractive.

Just wondering why you need to make this thing any more attractive than it is.

They will get Capital tax breaks on equipment, they will get all normal expenses, and they will be producing a product which has a price between 80 and 100 dollars a barrel.

Is there not enough profit in this thing to make it viable?...and if not...why are the Government willing to step in to make it so?

Help to Frack is the latest scam for the Globalists?

HOLA442

All across BBC news yesterday were the announcements of tax breaks for frackers in the UK...apparently, we need to make the thing attractive.

Just wondering why you need to make this thing any more attractive than it is.

They will get Capital tax breaks on equipment, they will get all normal expenses, and they will be producing a product which has a price between 80 and 100 dollars a barrel.

Is there not enough profit in this thing to make it viable?...and if not...why are the Government willing to step in to make it so?

Help to Frack is the latest scam for the Globalists?

Those were my thoughts too - if fracking is such a surefire business proposition then why the big tax breaks?

I mean, how can you go wrong producing 'cheap' oil and gas in a world of high energy prices that are only likely to trend higher in the longer term? I can't believe that you'd need to essentially subsidise or incentivise such a proposition.

Smells of a short term money grab by a bunch of well positioned insiders.

HOLA443

Do you believe in tax breaks for companies that invest heavily in research and development? This is no different. There is an enormous amount of hype about the potential for producing gas from fracced rocks in the UK, but nobody has yet produced any. Why not? Well, it is probably the most regulated of industries. Companies have already spent money on a couple of trial wells in Lancashire nearly 2 years ago, but the government has, so far, not given the go ahead for testing the wells. So all the investment the companies have made is just sitting there idle.

In the USA, fraccing has required up to say 4 wells per square mile, deviated from one surface pad. Fields cover hundreds of square miles. Can you imagine the planning nightmare this would be in the UK? Most companies just would not be bothered with the hassle. This is an industry which will only germinate and grow if there is full government support.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Do you believe in tax breaks for companies that invest heavily in research and development? This is no different. There is an enormous amount of hype about the potential for producing gas from fracced rocks in the UK, but nobody has yet produced any. Why not? Well, it is probably the most regulated of industries. Companies have already spent money on a couple of trial wells in Lancashire nearly 2 years ago, but the government has, so far, not given the go ahead for testing the wells. So all the investment the companies have made is just sitting there idle.

In the USA, fraccing has required up to say 4 wells per square mile, deviated from one surface pad. Fields cover hundreds of square miles. Can you imagine the planning nightmare this would be in the UK? Most companies just would not be bothered with the hassle. This is an industry which will only germinate and grow if there is full government support.

R and D attracts tax breaks already..

Investors are putting their money in....do we need a tax break to try an new restaurant?...no, we go in, we eat, we pay...If we dont like it, we have a choice...dont pay..rarely, or dont go back...most likely...

Do we need any additional tax break for investors in Apple at the peak?

HOLA446
HOLA447

They'll be able to tear up the northern countryside and pollute its waters, but not build any new homes on green belt?

Its known in science and political circles as the "Lynton Crosby" effect

http://www.guardian....g-lynton-crosby

and

George Osborne@George_Osborne 21h New US series Outlander produced by @RonDMoore to be shot in Scotland, creating 200 local jobs. TV tax credits in action. This is great news

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

R and D attracts tax breaks already..

Investors are putting their money in....do we need a tax break to try an new restaurant?...no, we go in, we eat, we pay...If we dont like it, we have a choice...dont pay..rarely, or dont go back...most likely...

Do we need any additional tax break for investors in Apple at the peak?

Oil & gas exploration does not attract an R&D tax break at present, AFAIAK. I don't understand your restaurant analogy. If you sampled restaurants for a living, your travel, overnight accomodation etc become a business expense. If you found a clever way of doing it remotely (say by drilling there) you would surely expect an R&D tax break?

Most of the companies looking at fraccing in Europe are small. The Apple sized oil and gas companies are mainly sitting on their hands.

HOLA4411

Oil & gas exploration does not attract an R&D tax break at present, AFAIAK. I don't understand your restaurant analogy. If you sampled restaurants for a living, your travel, overnight accomodation etc become a business expense. If you found a clever way of doing it remotely (say by drilling there) you would surely expect an R&D tax break?

Most of the companies looking at fraccing in Europe are small. The Apple sized oil and gas companies are mainly sitting on their hands.

Im not a restaurant reviewer save as any customer might be...In my quest for top food, visiting for the first time is R&D on my part. My investment is the discovery of the perfect restaurant for me.

Likewise, drillers visit a site and test it out...if it works out, then the product is theirs to keep and sell...If it doesnt, they dont...the losses are offset against profits.

I dont see why Private firms should be given everyone elses money to take a risk, which, if successful, they will keep it all.

HOLA4412

Oil and Gas exploration gets massive tax breaks in the UK both at the start up and winding down of fields.

You can read all about it here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/otmanual/

HOLA4413

Im not a restaurant reviewer save as any customer might be...In my quest for top food, visiting for the first time is R&D on my part. My investment is the discovery of the perfect restaurant for me.

Likewise, drillers visit a site and test it out...if it works out, then the product is theirs to keep and sell...If it doesnt, they dont...the losses are offset against profits.

I dont see why Private firms should be given everyone elses money to take a risk, which, if successful, they will keep it all.

You seem to think that oil and gas discovered in the UK (and surrounding waters) belong to the discoverer, who can 'keep it all'. Oil and gas production is highly taxed and has provided the UK with a valuable income stream since the mid 60's. UK governments change the tax rates continually - virtually every budget in the last 50 years contains some major tinkering to enable the Govt to encourage a pet project or technology or business practise. They have to give tax breaks to get investment into new and high (financial) risk projects, because once a successful project has been established, they will be taxed to the hilt.