House Price Crash Forum

Dubai, A Place To Holiday Or Invest In? :)

HOLA441
HOLA442

Dubai has tried to appeal to investors and holiday-makers, with its 'World Dubai' and outlandish creations. So in case you're thinking about either:-

Dubai sentences Norwegian woman who reported rape

I spent four glorious years living in Dubai as a kid (which I brag on at any opportunity). But anyone who lives there is under no illusion about it's laws. You accept them or move out. I don't think there's a country in the world you can move to currently that doesn't have some serious drawback. That's life.

Dubai is highly Westernised when compared to it's neighbours, which gives a clear indication of how "backward" some of them are. But you pay your money and take your chances. If I were a woman I'd probably choose not to live in Dubai :ph34r:

HOLA443

I spent four glorious years living in Dubai as a kid (which I brag on at any opportunity). But anyone who lives there is under no illusion about it's laws. You accept them or move out. I don't think there's a country in the world you can move to currently that doesn't have some serious drawback. That's life.

Dubai is highly Westernised when compared to it's neighbours, which gives a clear indication of how "backward" some of them are. But you pay your money and take your chances. If I were a woman I'd probably choose not to live in Dubai :ph34r:

If I was a woman I wouldn't even visit. Sounds like an utter hell-hole of a place to me. Can't wait for the oil to run out or alternatives to be developed, then they can go back to their tents in the desert.

HOLA444

If I was a woman I wouldn't even visit. Sounds like an utter hell-hole of a place to me. Can't wait for the oil to run out or alternatives to be developed, then they can go back to their tents in the desert.

Meanwhile the populace are getting obese apparently, with the National pastime being the shopping mall. A rather soul destroying place to live i would have thought with no countryside and artificial plastic edifices being erected for the amusement of the masses.

According to the Today programme, the latest incentive for the population's health is lose one kilo and get a gramme of gold. It does sound improbable and made up I know.

Edit. no I didn't hear it wrong.............

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/07/19/dubai-weight-loss-gold.html

HOLA445

There may be another side to the story.

Perhaps the Dubai Police had good reason not to believe her rape story (did they investigate it, I wonder).

Both parties consumed alcohol, which is illegal, and I expect they knew that.

The man has been imprisoned for having sex with her, nonetheless.

It isn't always a case that the woman is telling the truth in an alleged rape case, or the Westerners are above local law.

As for Dubai, I would like to see that shithole, just for 24 hours, to satisfy my morbid curiousity. it sounds like my idea of hell, frankly.

HOLA446

Meanwhile the populace are getting obese apparently, with the National pastime being the shopping mall. A rather soul destroying place to live i would have thought with no countryside and artificial plastic edifices being erected for the amusement of the masses.

According to the Today programme, the latest incentive for the population's health is lose one kilo and get a gramme of gold. It does sound improbable and made up I know.

Edit. no I didn't hear it wrong.............

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/07/19/dubai-weight-loss-gold.html

It might make sense in the UK too. Think what savings there would be for the NHS if people lost weight.

HOLA447

It might make sense in the UK too. Think what savings there would be for the NHS if people lost weight.

A bit of a bugger if you haven't got any weight to lose.

Besides following Broon's bottom, we may only have enough gold to cover Methyr Tydfil.

HOLA448
HOLA449

A bit of a bugger if you haven't got any weight to lose.

Besides following Broon's bottom, we may only have enough gold to cover Methyr Tydfil.

If half the lardarses here in Rotherham got down to a bmi of under 30 it would exhaust Chinas gold reserves.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I used to fly Qantas almost exclusively. Since they joined up with Emirates and transit through Dubai, I have stopped using them completely and won't ever do so. Maybe I'll send them the links above to demonstrate why....

HOLA4415

+1, never understood why it became a fashionable destination all of a sudden. Plenty of better, more civilised places between here and there.

I suspect a lot of it was to do with nothing more than Duty-Free sales.

My wife went once with her mother, sister and our very young child. It was a stopover on a trip to Australia, picked so they could have a few days of 'holiday' by the pool/beach. The level of service in the hotel was outstanding and also the help from the guy who they used as a guide for a bit but outside of that service/tourism bubble she was not impressed by how they were treated women probably as they had no male company with them. Describing them as backwards would be too generous.

They're not in a rush to go back. Not a cheap place to spend time in either.

HOLA4416
1374334378[/url]' post='909361067']

My wife went once with her mother, sister and our very young child. It was a stopover on a trip to Australia, picked so they could have a few days of 'holiday' by the pool/beach. The level of service in the hotel was outstanding and also the help from the guy who they used as a guide for a bit but outside of that service/tourism bubble she was not impressed by how they were treated women probably as they had no male company with them. Describing them as backwards would be too generous.

They're not in a rush to go back. Not a cheap place to spend time in either.

My sister in law felt uncomfortable there, & that was in the airport waiting for a flight to South Africa. Were you happy about them having a break there?

HOLA4417

Sure, but that doesn't mean you should avoid or put up and shut u, particularly in cases like this if it's not been twisted out of all recognition by the media (always a strong possibility).

HOLA4418

I only went to the airport! Careful not to get your parts out in a Mosque! The rooms marked Men or Women sometimes aren't loos, but prayer rooms! They let my colleague go without charge, when I explained Sunderland to them! :blink:

Archived