House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Private Right To Buy.

had the idea of private right to buy.

been paying a landlord...like living where you are...your human rights should be to buy the place you rent...full market value of course...minus what you've paid in rent.

can't see it happen but its a funny fault.

been paying a landlord...like living where you are...your human rights should be to buy the place you rent...full market value of course...minus what you've paid in rent.

+1

:lol:

And discuss...

Quite common in Spain. Agree a price, rent for a few years if you like it can then buy at the previously agreed price minus rent paid.

OK if prices weren't tanking I guess.

I like the idea. :)

Wouldn't want to buy my current gaff though: a badly insulated flat in a poorly built block close to a railway line. Add to that about £1k in ground rent and service charges.

disclosure : I own a house we used to rent .

I think that right to buy is a bad idea and should not apply to private landlords but especially

not to council housing . Maggie should never have sold the stock off ... or if she had then it should

have been at full market price (for an ex council house on that estate) , AND new council housing

should have been built with the money . (anything else is just corruption)

I dont see any business sense in allowing right to buy - the cost of rent should cover the cost of the

house and the repairs , maintenance etc. I agree house prices are far to high (as is rent) and need

to be reduced and sensible LTV and deposits should be required, but a big NO to right to buy .

The only sensible right to buy is the one that exists at the moment .ie get your finances in order, find the

house you want and can afford and make an offer etc etc. (or wait for the mystical house price crash that

our prophets predict will happen one day).

rockhopper

The only sensible right to buy is the one that exists at the moment .ie get your finances in order, find the

house you want and can afford and make an offer etc etc. (or wait for the mystical house price crash that

our prophets predict will happen one day).

Comedy gold from the home owning estate agent :lol:

BTW...HPC in full swing.

homepage.png

You might have missed it as it's mainly based on the government forcing poverty onto you in order to save the bankers.

Shame generation rent is not a majority voting group and could vote in a party that will introduce such a policy! Would be comedy gold to see the boomer landlords/ scum BTL slumlords faces and bleating!

I think it's a great idea, had occurred to me previously as well.

Yup. Easily enforced too. Landlords are hated, rightfully so. About time we taxed any uplift in value, any vacancy, any yield. Its quite easy to get a desired result.

Yup. Easily enforced too. Landlords are hated, rightfully so. About time we taxed any uplift in value, any vacancy, any yield. Its quite easy to get a desired result.

Imputed vacancy.....gotta add that to the GDP

From the responses above it is as I should have *fully* appreciated, clearly a topic on which sensible comments

are not welcome . Only ones in the 'die scumlord die' vein and similar.

I realise that you did not read the quote

I agree house prices are far to high (as is rent) and need

to be reduced and sensible LTV and deposits should be required

or that you disagreed with it .

I will leave this thread to you (plural) for your own pleasures .

have fun

rockhopper

From the responses above it is as I should have *fully* appreciated, clearly a topic on which sensible comments

are not welcome . Only ones in the 'die scumlord die' vein and similar.

I realise that you did not read the quote

or that you disagreed with it .

I will leave this thread to you (plural) for your own pleasures .

have fun

rockhopper

and yet, you say people should organise their finances...this implies a tacit approval of the status quo, and that people who "dont organise their finances"....well, its their own fault.

and yet, you say people should organise their finances...this implies a tacit approval of the status quo, and that people who "dont organise their finances"....well, its their own fault.

That is not what I meant , it was a somewhat flippant statement of what I feel is

the only sensible 'right to buy' ie go out and get your finances in order and buy in the normal

market rather than bringing in what are probably unworkable proposals for a tenant to be able

to force his landlord to sell at a large discount (god only knows what that would do to the market?) ..

I am a boomer and had a good run of it and was fortunate enough to be able to ******

my early education and jobs and recover from this with the way the world was then : plenty of jobs,

including apprenticeship in real industries and free university education and a maintenance grant .

Was I lucky , looking back it was a massive leg up. but I wouldnt have gone to uni if it had been

anything like todays prices ... the options then would have been to carry on with the apprenticeship

and do the next step up of hnc/hnd . Not viewed in quite the same light as a degree but ok .

The amount of debt lumbered onto students is totally unreasonable . The understanding when I went

to uni was that higher taxes due to the better jobs would pay for the education ... sensible .

There were the other options of hnc,hnd and similar for those who didnt get into uni but wanted

further education - and with a wage while you were at it .

What do I think of high house prices? they are crippling this country , driving some young to emigrate ,

making many young responsible couples unwilling to start families because of the lack of a home they can

afford to buy., making everything expensive . Making it mandatory for wives to go out to work - my wife worked

whilst I went to uni and stopped after that with the birth of our son - that option should be available to the

young now .. It is fzcking evil and for the tories (and the rest ) trying to prop up house prices

(and especially the corruption of the buying of political influence thru donations from the big builders ).

It is especially nauseating because (excluding london) the price of farmland is maybe 10k an acre

and at 8 houses to an acre (much better than they are currently building to) , that the land cost is 1.5k

plus building costs of maybe 100k (keep seeing different numbers) so about total of 100k + profit of say 20%

then get lovely prices of 120k for a decent sized house on a decent sized plot of land - that is achievable but

requires more political will than this or any other likely govt have .

I despair of the state of the country and what it is doing to the young (and others).

I would like the country to provide a living wage that say a single person could actually live on without

any benefits ie could pay the rent , food , heating , ctax etc etc , anything other than that is a broken system.

I dont know what the young can legally do , apart from emigrating and I wish they did not need to do that .

Anyway, it takes me ages to write stuff which is why I dont normally stick my head above the parapet .

rockhopper

ps the only solutions is massive building on green belt - as done by previous governments

after the war including MK and Bracknell (I lived there briefly ) - look at some of the council estates and the size

of the plots - or dont - you'll get 'plot' envy .

Edited by rockhopper

I think you have to view renting a house in two ways. The first, is the renting of the building - the product of someone's labour. The second, is the occupation of the land/location where the house is situated - not the product of anyone's labour (i.e. it just existed).

For someone to fence off land/locations and claim rent to use it, it is an act of aggression. They can only claim that they were there first, which is a pretty weak claim, especially if they are not using it personally.

For someone to demand that another gives them their building, without a choice to decline the trade, it is an act of aggression. They can claim that their labour, or the labour traded previously by another, went into constructing the building, which is a rather strong claim of ownership.

How you use the above knowledge to ensure that one person isn't using aggression to exploit another, is the key question. Would you say your suggestion treats both parties fairly?