House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

London 1943

Thought you might like to see this.

Strange to think that I was a child when this was made.

Notice the women at 6.57 carrying a rifle and no-one paying any attention

Thought you might like to see this.

Strange to think that I was a child when this was made.

Notice the women at 6.57 carrying a rifle and no-one paying any attention

I went to a 1940s swing dance last month where the participants were in costume. I have always considered the 1940s fashions dull, but it was an amazing spectacle, totally surreal like I had been transported back in time, I am a convert to 40s fashions now.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1940s+swing+dance+in+dress&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FnvpUaLRJu_60gWFuoCQCg&ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=728

No lardies in that film, maybe we should bring back rationing in the UK.

Well, that was exactly what an older colleague of mine pointed out, some years ago. Not many fat people in the WW2 era!

I am lucky enough to have missed all that excitement! My parents would have been young teenagers in the war years! :o

There's a little segment of eccentric street performers busking in front of cinema queues which reminded of one bloke, years ago, who used stand in front of cinema queues in Piccadilly/ Leicester Square, take his shirt off, slap Vaseline on his cupped hands and play his armpits.

Which, in turn, reminded me of this bloke...

Proper Variety entertainment. Them were the days.

Variety? Now you're talking...

Genius! Kids today don't know what they're missing.

Three guesses what he's doing with his right hand.

Genius! Kids today don't know what they're missing.

Three guesses what he's doing with his right hand.

I'll not be borrowing either of you twos DVD collections! :unsure:

Ah, Soho with the statue of Anteros removed (NOT Eros FFS), pre the removal of all the neon adverts and pre Paul Raymond.

Shoeshine boy Nuggets Mahoney at 5:20

People from 'all the united nations of the world' - a kiosk at 5:40 selling Die Zeitung in 1943? Perhaps it's a trap for Jerries.

9:45 Why is there a not-very-subliminal message telling me to FAP?

10:48 "See How They Run"? They had real time displays of train prgress in the stations?

Also, I want to know about the man in the opening squence who had clearly stolen a sign from Piccadilly Underground Station.

'now it's a place where you can buy almost anything" I'll have a bottle of Reisling and a copy of Mein Kampf, shopkeeper!

Only tangentially relevant but opposite Oval tube station there are some post WW2 flats surrounded by fencing made from WW2 era stretchers. Slightly macabre when you find out what they are...

14l7tco.jpg

Ah, Soho with the statue of Anteros removed (NOT Eros FFS), pre the removal of all the neon adverts and pre Paul Raymond.

Shoeshine boy Nuggets Mahoney at 5:20

People from 'all the united nations of the world' - a kiosk at 5:40 selling Die Zeitung in 1943? Perhaps it's a trap for Jerries.

9:45 Why is there a not-very-subliminal message telling me to FAP?

10:48 "See How They Run"? They had real time displays of train prgress in the stations?

Also, I want to know about the man in the opening squence who had clearly stolen a sign from Piccadilly Underground Station.

'now it's a place where you can buy almost anything" I'll have a bottle of Reisling and a copy of Mein Kampf, shopkeeper!

I'll bet you will have struggled to get theVoelkische Beobachter, even in Piccadilly! :(

The other trap for Jerry 5th columnists, as featured in Went the day Well? as I recall, is to trick them into writing the number 7.

Nine times out of ten they'll put a horizontal bar on it. They can't help themselves.

Same thing with Frenchies and other continental types with decimal commas instead of points.

Getting into Schindler's lift on the tube.

Funny! A previous GF found "Schindler's Lifts" very funny! And I must admit, it somehow spoils the film now! :lol::blink:

..some of the most iconic images of WW2 London were captured by a German, Bill Brandt

vawki.jpg

He did some fascinating social documentary work in the 30s and 40s - chirpy street urchins, people sheltering in the tube during the Blitz, ordinary working people going about their daily lives...

Then, after the war, he got bored of that and started photographing t1ts.

The other trap for Jerry 5th columnists, as featured in Went the day Well? as I recall, is to trick them into writing the number 7.

Nine times out of ten they'll put a horizontal bar on it. They can't help themselves.

Same thing with Frenchies and other continental types with decimal commas instead of points.

I always cross a seven, I look like a Fifth Columnist anyway! ;)

When you put the commas in, and they should never be points, do it the Indian way so One Hundred Millions is Ten Crore, done like this...

10,00,00,000, and a Lakh is ten to the power of five so 1,00,000 is one Lakh!

It's turned out nice again, hasn't it mother?

That clip is from the film 'Hoots Mon'

Here is a another rare recording of Max at the Holborn Empire

He was the man who came up with the 'I like the girls who do...' rhyme which still gets quoted from time to time.

Bit of a local hero down here on the south coast and apparently quite the gent off stage

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/m/max-miller/

Worth listening to the longer clips on YouTube of Max at the Metropolitan in 1957 to get a better idea of how good he was at working an audience. He was one of those comics who could guarantee to get a laugh even when the audience knew what punch line was coming. I quite liked the gag about the pools winner in part 2

http://www.youtube.com/results?q=max+miller+metropolitan&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=598&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.c75bKy5EQ0A.O&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=GB&sa=N&tab=w1

I'll not be borrowing either of you twos DVD collections! :unsure:

How about my stack of Reg Dixon 78s?

or my collection of Stanley Holloway monologues?

Some things from seventy years ago I 'get'. Stanley, I've never been able to fathom.

Though not a great fan of Piccadilly myself, it is amazing how quickly you can lose the tourists by going off the main thorougfares. I do particularly like St. James to the south as opposed to Mayfair off to the North of Regent Street.

St. James Square has a particlarly nice private park square, open to the public on week days.

Surprising how intact the West End was after the blitz..........not much more dereliction than the typical northern city today.

I always cross a seven, I look like a Fifth Columnist anyway! ;)

When you put the commas in, and they should never be points, do it the Indian way so One Hundred Millions is Ten Crore, done like this...

10,00,00,000, and a Lakh is ten to the power of five so 1,00,000 is one Lakh!

But I am Britisher, Officer ! Look, here ist my name, John Smith, it is prnted so on my PaƟport!

It is a well known fact that your typical German can never refuse an order. Suddenly shout 'handy hoch!' at them. It works every time apparently.

EDIT: Who didn't learn their first smatterings of German from The Victor?

http://aipetcher.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/the-victor-comic-and-german-lessons/

They should have done that at irregular intervals using a loudhailer at Piccadilly, to flush the Jerries out.

Well they did it to us: "Good luck"

Well, that was exactly what an older colleague of mine pointed out, some years ago. Not many fat people in the WW2 era!

No need to go back that far.

Look at any footage upto the mid seventies before the message Carbs = Good, Fat = Bad took over.

prevalence_of_obesity.jpg