House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Dementia Rates Falling

Dementia rates are falling apparently.

http://blogs.marketw...dementia-rates/

Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia are specters that haunt many families' retirement-planning conversations; leaving aside their devastating emotional toll, their financial impact can be both massive and unpredictable. So there's reason to find encouragement in two studies published recently in the British medical journal The Lancet. The studies, one conducted in England and Wales and the other in Denmark, suggest that the percentage of the elderly population afflicted with dementia has significantly declined in recent years—and they bolster the theory that good behavioral habits in adult life can lower one's odds of getting dementia.
And if you're working longer than you'd prefer to so you can bolster your retirement savings…well, it turns out that may also be cause for optimism, too. French researchers announced at an Alzheimer's conference on Monday that their study of French retirees showed that the risk of dementia declined with each additional year a person put off retiring—suggesting that staying active at work can help bolster your brain's health.

Good news indeed, considering most of us will be working longer.

Great news for me, with a history of Alzheimer's in the family. I don't think it's due to higher education levels. The most highly educated in my family have been the ones to succumb in the last 2 generations.

I think it's more likely to people working longer into old age. Keeps the brain ticking over. Better than slumping in the sofa in your slippers watching TV.;)

It might be something to do with taking the lead out of petrol! But that is purely a hypothesis! I have no research in this! :blink:

Cause and effect?

Did the people who retired earlier get dementia after they retired, or did they have to stop working because of the early effects of dementia?

To put it another way, looking at the people who are working at 90 and saying that they're fit because they're working could be **** about face. It's more likely that they'te working because they're fit.

It might be something to do with taking the lead out of petrol! But that is purely a hypothesis! I have no research in this! :blink:

Much more likely that it's due to reduction in smoking, and better health preservation work by GPs*. (Vascular disease related dementia accounts, or is a contributor to a mixed-type dementia, for around 40% of dementia cases in the UK). It's also likely that poor vascular health may worsen Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, where the vascular contribution has not been recognised.

* - better recognition and screening for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

I have no research either, but it seems heart disease peaked with tobacco consumption in the '70s. Correlation and all that.

If this is peak dementia it would be interesting to see obvious correlations. Bossy Babe's observation is interesting.

I have no research either, but it seems heart disease peaked with tobacco consumption in the '70s. Correlation and all that.

If this is peak dementia it would be interesting to see obvious correlations. Bossy Babe's observation is interesting.

When I were a lad, and visited friends' houses, in pride of place on the coffee table was a granite ash tray, and matching Ronson table lighter! :huh: It probably wasn't good for you!

War rations ? Wasn't that period generally regarded as being fairly 'healthy' <apart from the obvious> due to people only being able to eat the basics ?

Those initially born and raised during that period sit just about in the group that we would expect to be getting dementia right now ?

70 ish

Just a thought.

Much more likely that it's due to reduction in smoking, and better health preservation work by GPs*. (Vascular disease related dementia accounts, or is a contributor to a mixed-type dementia, for around 40% of dementia cases in the UK). It's also likely that poor vascular health may worsen Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, where the vascular contribution has not been recognised.

* - better recognition and screening for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nicotine+alzheimer's :o

First thing i would question is whether rates are actually falling or if this is a medical tractor production analogy.

I remember breast cancer survival improved when they changed the criteria for survival from 5 years to 3 years.

This is really excellent news.

It also demonstrates that the meme that the debt must be cut now due to the impending 'burden' of an older population with dementia projected forward 30 years is risible.

This comes at the same time the Tories are going to steal £75k from everyone to pay for the landlords rent on 'care' homes for elderly dementia patients.

100% theft - guaranteed!

I'm guessing that the work per se is not the reason people are improving their chances of not getting dementia, but the physical exercise that is connected to work. Brain trainers etc. have now been debunked as not helping mental function and exercise appears to be the key to ment6al fitness. Personally I would sooner retire early and be disciplined enough to keep active on what I enjoy doing, not what I am being paid to do.

This is really excellent news.

It also demonstrates that the meme that the debt must be cut now due to the impending 'burden' of an older population with dementia projected forward 30 years is risible.

This comes at the same time the Tories are going to steal £75k from everyone to pay for the landlords rent on 'care' homes for elderly dementia patients.

100% theft - guaranteed!

Whereas Labour would grab the lot.

I read somewhere recently that they now thought dementia was a sort of third form of diabetes.

Caused by diet and lack of exercise rather than mental training or genetics.

People in late stages of dementia can be the happiest most contented people you can ever meet. ;)

When they're cocooned up like a baby on a giant moving mattress so they don't get pressure sores?

When they're cocooned up like a baby on a giant moving mattress so they don't get pressure sores?

We all start as a baby....some finish life like a baby..........a dependant start and finish. ;)

Great news for me, with a history of Alzheimer's in the family. I don't think it's due to higher education levels. The most highly educated in my family have been the ones to succumb in the last 2 generations.

I think it's more likely to people working longer into old age. Keeps the brain ticking over. Better than slumping in the sofa in your slippers watching TV.;)

Most of the newspapers have been headlining this test today. It strikes me that despite the simplicity of the test, more highly educated individuals and those good in maths will fair better. I doubt therefore that this would have picked up any early signs of Alzheimer's in your family members. I'm guessing they would have been well practiced in these types of tests and passed with flying colours even as dementia was taking hold.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-01-13/dementia-test/