House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

John Inverdale On Marion Bartoli

So she's a minger, and he said so. So what? She's also very good, and he said that too.

Andy Murray is no oil painting either as I've heard quite a few women comment (though not on the radio).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23352708

Culture Secretary Maria Miller has raised concerns with the BBC after John Inverdale's remark about the personal appearance of Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli attracted 674 complaints.

She wrote to BBC director general Lord Hall for "an update on any further action that is likely to be taken".

Inverdale apologised for saying Bartoli was "never going to be a looker".

The BBC said it had made it clear that the presenter's comments were "unacceptable".

A BBC spokesperson said: "John sincerely regrets that he made such an inappropriate statement and for the offence caused. As he said on air the following day, he has written to Marion Bartoli to apologise and the BBC has also apologised for John's remarks."

Inverdale said the remarks, made on BBC Radio 5 live ahead of the Wimbledon women's final on 6 July, were "clumsy" and "ham-fisted" and had "understandably caused something of a furore".

Portrayal of women

Extracts from Mrs Miller's letter have been published in the Daily Mail but it is not immediately clear when it was sent to the BBC.

Mrs Miller, who is also minister for women and equalities, said she was writing to express her "concerns over the comments".

Mrs Miller said she was keen to see increased coverage of women's sport

"I have particular regard for the portrayal of women in the media generally, and I have also identified increased coverage of women's sport as one of my key priorities," she said.

"It is therefore a matter of some concern to me that any comment on the looks and stature of a female athlete could be made in the context of one of the highlights of the UK's, and indeed the world's, sporting calendar.

"I am sure you will agree with me that it is vital that young women and girls in this country feel motivated both to take part in and to watch coverage of sport, and to know that they are included in the enjoyment of sport, and catered for by the media just as much as the male audience."

Mrs Miller goes on to acknowledge that Inverdale had apologised both on air and directly to Bartoli in a letter but asks "whether there may be positive steps that the BBC could take in future to ensure that the perception of and commentary on female athletes, and women's sport generally, are as positive and inclusive as possible".

The culture secretary has met broadcasters a number of times in the last year to encourage them to improve coverage of women's sports, her aides say.

'Amazonian athletes'

While chatting on air about Bartoli's technique as a player, Inverdale said: "I just wonder if her dad, because he has obviously been the most influential person in her life, did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14 maybe, 'Listen, you are never going to be, you know, a looker.

"'You are never going to be somebody like a Sharapova, you're never going to be 5ft 11, you're never going to be somebody with long legs, so you have to compensate for that.

"'You are going to have to be the most dogged, determined fighter that anyone has ever seen on the tennis court if you are going to make it,' and she kind of is."

After complaints on online social networks, the BBC issued a statement in which it said the remarks had been "insensitive and for that we apologise".

The following day, at the beginning of the coverage of the men's Wimbledon final, Inverdale made his apology and added that Bartoli was a "fantastic example to all young people that it's attitude and will and determination, together obviously with talent, that in the end gets you to the top".

He said the point he was trying to make was "the public perception of tennis players is that they're all six-feet-tall Amazonian athletes".

A spokesperson for the BBC said: "'The BBC has made clear that John Inverdale's comments were unacceptable and fell well beneath the standards expected of our presenters.

"The BBC has a proud record of supporting women's sport with the current coverage of Euro 2013 the most recent highlight in a summer of unprecedented coverage. We have also appointed an editorial lead specifically for women's sport, which has helped ensure significantly increased coverage across our daily sporting output.

"More generally the BBC, following the Respect at Work Review, is taking steps to clearly communicate to those who work for us what constitutes inappropriate behaviour or language."

she polishes up nice

176.jpg

So someone thinks shes not a pretty flower on the court

post-10213-0-93226100-1374137495_thumb.jpg

In a nutshell - this country is sexist against men. Simple as that.

Look at the whole golf no women members nonsense going on.

If a club wants to be men only that's up to them.

My swimming membership through the local council costs more if you are a man than a woman.

That's about as sexist as you can get - however i don't see Salmond getting involved in that . . .

Rather like another recentish French female tennis player, Amelie Mauresmo, she's quite charming.

Nonetheless a bit of a minger, and in Bartoli's case a strict diet wouldn't go amiss which shows how tactically good she must be.

Must admit, I din't like his comment, but I can see how he was led into it by the preceding boxing comments of his co-interviewer.

Inverdale should have been more professional and seen the stupidity of saying what you are thinking

That just shows to me that Inverdale is a clumsy interviewer - or to put it bluntly, not the brightest penny in the barrel.

Inverdale fell form grace for me at the Olympics with a particulary crass and unecessarily distressing interview of one of our rowers. Another instance when a normal person's common sense should have stepped in.

I would have thought what Inverdale was thinking, and to mates in the pub (if I had any mates and if I went to the pub) I might have said the same - but I wouldn't have said to it either Bartoli or the general public on Air.

Wouldn't shed a tear if Inverdale lost his job

Wouldn't shed a tear if Inverdale lost his job

To me the whole thing of having very highly paid "personality" sports presenters on the BBC should be against the ethos of the organisation. We don't need to spend the money on them, up and coming folks can present these things, if they get better offers elsewhere, they can go. It's not exactly going to be difficult to find someone who wants to do the job.

To me the whole thing of having very highly paid "personality" sports presenters on the BBC should be against the ethos of the organisation. We don't need to spend the money on them, up and coming folks can present these things, if they get better offers elsewhere, they can go. It's not exactly going to be difficult to find someone who wants to do the job.

+1

The same applies to most areas of the BBC.

+1

Once a presenter or commentator starts to behave like he/she, rather than the event, is what viewers/listeners are interested in, it is time to go.

Leaving aside what he turned out to have been doing behind the scenes, I could never abide Stuart Hall reporting from footie matches - and I had the strong impression that neither could the studio anchors.

The BBC can be seen every day throwing money away through studios full of sports `pundits', star reporters (Alligiah, Simpson etc) flying out with a crew to be on the spot when a local expert could be interviewed, each channel and radio channel having their own reporter and crew at the scene of a news story etc.

And BTW,

The good news is I assume that things have calmed down in Turkey, Brazil, Egypt and Syria as the story of Wayne Rooney can now find room in the BBC main news bulletins.

Y

I don't think Bartoli is that bad looking myself, perhaps I am getting old.

It's been mentioned about women having a go at Murray's appearance. Indeed Henman used to get the same treatmen.

In one broadsheet article, I remember the young female journo bemoaning that he was a bit of a ''toilet'' and the fantasy of women of a certain age.

Anyway, the feminazi's wanted equality, now she can be pointed at and laughed at just like Shrek Rooney.

Whats the big deal?

Woman love sexism. They gain far more out of it than they lose.

You can't listen to what a woman says. Its like when they say 'i want you to be honest with me'

What they actually mean is 'Be honest as long as its something i will like'

That's what they mean by wanting equality. They want the good bits but not the bad.

Anyone remember Inverdale & Claire Balding doing a double act a few years ago? Probably the Beijing Olympics.

Never seen bad chemistry like that before. Total mutual contempt.

It's fair comment as it is relevant to her career. She was without a clothing sponsor for four years and has often struggled to keep playing the tour because she attracts so little sponsorship. She really does have to rely on prize money in a way that Kournikova or Sharapova don't.

It's a shame, really, that Inverdale's dad didn't say to him when he was 12, 13, 14 maybe, "listen, you are always going to be, you know, a ****".

Interesting to compare this case with the treatment of Colin Murry on 5Live's fighting talk.

BBC apologises over Clare Balding lesbian 'cure' joke on Radio 5 Live

Murry leaving the programme despite the fact that the point of that section of the programme(running for years) was to make wholly outrageous statements that are clearly indefencible, meanwhile Inverdale left in place despite making wholly gratuitous remarks along a similar line.

Anyway, the feminazi's wanted equality, now she can be pointed at and laughed at just like Shrek Rooney.

Whats the big deal?

It is apparently still a blokes world.

Personally I'd like to see the viewing figures of the Saturday womens final vs the Sunday mens of Wimbledon (and others) final for as long as they are available. I'm sorry lasses but you're complete gash at sport. It might change in a few generations if this and that but I note that the OP has an MP bemoaning the coverage and then a BBC spokesperson saying they are covering loads more like the Womens Euro 2103.

Well, sorry to disappoint but even I know that there is a crunch match of progress in the womens euros tonight which you'd have thought should take pride of place on BBC1, at the least BBC2, both HD channels, but 1 has Eastenders and 2 has the mens Open golf and the women have been demoted to BBC3. A usual watch what they do and not what they say (like Carney).

I fear the day that law dilutes sport as the fairer sex just cannot compete (look to darts as an early example, and that's only technical not physical!)

Anyway, 7.30pm England ladies vs France ladies, go girls, shove those baguettes up their asses :)

I seem to recall that Claire Balding made an offensive personal comment about Irish jockey Liam Treadwell's teeth a few years ago, suggesting that he "could get them done with his prize money"

EDIT Obviously the first part of this post should have read "The fat ugly lesbian Claire Balding, up whose bumcrack you wouldn't want to stick your nose on a hot day" ;)

EDIT Obviously the first part of this post should have read "The fat ugly lesbian Claire Balding, up whose bumcrack you wouldn't want to stick your nose on a hot day" ;)

Eeeeeh, Harold Monk you naughty man - you've just put me off my supper.

But would you - as your comment kind of implies - stick your nose up her shit-flaps if it was the middle of January...?

XYY

Eeeeeh, Harold Monk you naughty man - you've just put me off my supper.

But would you - as your comment kind of implies - stick your nose up her shit-flaps if it was the middle of January...?

XYY

:lol: Ever thought of applying to the BBC to present something? Royal coverage maybe?

He is on the golf on 5live. What annoys me is the comments, suggestions for improvements to cricket and golf and overall smugness.

:lol: Ever thought of applying to the BBC to present something? Royal coverage maybe?

Reckon I could maybe liven-up 'Question Time' a bit when old Dimbleby jacks it in...

:)

XYY

Feminism is claptrap and MPs need not get involved. But he was definitely being an arsehole saying it and should be sacked for simply being a crap sports journalist the BBC could do without.