House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

King size Bedroom Tax thread

Freeing up some of the bigger houses could have offered this woman and her family a bigger home.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/16/couple-trapped-in-one-bed-flat-with-6-children-3885784/

Unemployed Maggie Flisher and husband Gavin said they have asked to be rehoused in a bigger home since the birth of their first child eight years ago.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

In this case most of the words would be starred out anyway.

ay_114305844.jpg

Thats one f-king ugly baby.

I like these articles. My mum says 'All babies are beautiful'.

I wave the paper at her.

Incidently, growing up with friends who had parents like these, I'm on the side that the housing is for the kids not the parents.

Saying that, the ugly f-king parents should be kicked out as soon as the youngest is 16.

ay_114305844.jpg

I think they want to keep going until they get a hermaphrodite

Thats one f-king ugly baby.

I like these articles. My mum says 'All babies are beautiful'.

I wave the paper at her.

All babies are innocent, nobody can choose the parents they are born to.....it is the parents that should be more responsible......we pay them to have kids, they will have them.....the system only encourages it. ;)

Their excuse is she is super fertile, how about he gets a vasectomy. I also don't believe the condoms don't work, sorry but you can be as fertile as you like but if he is wearing a condom, unless it breaks you aren't getting pregnant.

I note they are both unemployed, I take it this has been for some time. I feel sorry for the kids.

This is why benefits based on the number of children should stop at 2 or 3.

Their excuse is she is super fertile, how about he gets a vasectomy. I also don't believe the condoms don't work, sorry but you can be as fertile as you like but if he is wearing a condom, unless it breaks you aren't getting pregnant.

I note they are both unemployed, I take it this has been for some time. I feel sorry for the kids.

This is why benefits based on the number of children should stop at 2 or 3.

Agreed. The otherwise well meaning Labour dogma of benefits for as many kids as you have actually constitutes cruel and unusual punishment in my opinion.

Nice kids but god help them with their parents.

Gordon Brown's dream society.

ay_114305844.jpg

What a very artistic shot, with every child posed to perfection. Reminds me of some old master family group from the National Gallery with the children all looking alike.

Edited by crashmonitor

Freeing up some of the bigger houses could have offered this woman and her family a bigger home.

Can someone please tell me what stops these people just renting a house and paying for it with LHA?

I am sure it cannot be that they insist on being given a 4-bed council house in London, rather than appropriate accommodation that would however be taken away once the kids grow up? Can it?

Can someone please tell me what stops these people just renting a house and paying for it with LHA?

I am sure it cannot be that they insist on being given a 4-bed council house in London, rather than appropriate accommodation that would however be taken away once the kids grow up? Can it?

You go with the things you know. It is quite shocking that they are still in a one bed flat, I know that there is an under-supply for council housing but it really isn't that bad.

You go with the things you know. It is quite shocking that they are still in a one bed flat, I know that there is an under-supply for council housing but it really isn't that bad.

Its why I'm kind of conflicted over the bedroom tax. One the one hand people should move if their social home has become too big for them, on the other hand I don't see why they should move just to house feckless people having kids at other people's expense.

This family applied for a larger property after their first child, and then promptly had more kids before they had got an offer. Its pure feeble mindedness.

Its why I'm kind of conflicted over the bedroom tax. One the one hand people should move if their social home has become too big for them, on the other hand I don't see why they should move just to house feckless people having kids at other people's expense.

This family applied for a larger property after their first child, and then promptly had more kids before they had got an offer. Its pure feeble mindedness.

They're not exactly model citizens I grant you, but the benefits cap finally coming in means you don't keep enriching yourself with more benefits by having more kids. So they've had so many for whatever reason and now the family should be appropriately housed, it doesn't mean that they get a mansion but the next three bed that comes up should go to them.

I've said before that I'm all in favour of the "bedroom tax" or rather the withdrawal of the spare room allowance because it makes the best use of the social housing stock. As you certainly know many people in social housing work and pay their own rent so if they wish to keep living in a house with extra bedrooms then they certainly can.

I know it sounds mean but if they get rehoused what lessons will the children have learnt. One would hope that after their childhood experiences they would decide to be nothing like their parents.

I know it sounds mean but if they get rehoused what lessons will the children have learnt. One would hope that after their childhood experiences they would decide to be nothing like their parents.

If they get rehoused into a 3 bed house then they learn that whilst you don't always get what you want, you can sometimes get some of what you need.

Perhaps like the benefits cap is designed to not allow anyone to earn on benefits more than they could by working, then housing should be based on the possibility of what they could afford if they were working.

Excellent report by the Aragon Housing Association on the effect of the "Bedroom Tax" which came into effect 100 days ago.

http://www.aragon-housing.co.uk/about-us/news/100-days-of-the-bedroom-tax/should-i-stay-or-should-i-go/

Confirms that the larger properties are struggling to find tenants with them having to be offered to low priority tenants, or put through the bid cycle again.

Also there doesn't appear to be enough properties (private or social) for the tenants to downsize too.

Quite wide discrepancies between areas, between the level of private rent and LHA rates.

If they get a good house then the children will learn working is for mugs.