House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

Uk Jobless Claimant Count Falls At Fastest Rate In Three Years

Reuters

'(Reuters) - The number of Britons claiming unemployment benefit fell for an eighth consecutive month in June and at its fastest rate for three years in the latest sign that Britain's economic recovery is gaining momentum.

Britain's central bank has refrained from injecting fresh stimulus into the economy in the form of quantitative easing this year and focused its efforts on initiatives to boost lending to households and businesses.

The number of people without a job on the wider and lagging ILO measure dropped by 57,000 in the three months to May to 2.5 million.

The ILO jobless rate held steady 7.8 percent, as expected.

One way employers have been able to keep staff is by limiting pay rises.

Average weekly earnings growth including bonuses picked up slightly to 1.7 percent in the three months through May compared to a year earlier, still well below inflation. Excluding bonuses, pay grew by just 1.0 percent.'

I guess the job center staff will find themselves jobless then. :lol:

Thanks central bankers we obviously owe the recover to you! (bends down and kisses Mervyns feet)

Below inflation wage increases and an ever increasing debt is clearly sustainable (whilst interest rates are falling).

Edited by Gone to Ireland.

When someone on JSA is sanctioned for not looking for work etc. they are not classed as being on JSA. Even though they still sign on, for the time that they do not receive any benefit they are not included in the statistics.

When someone on JSA is sanctioned for not looking for work etc. they are not classed as being on JSA. Even though they still sign on, for the time that they do not receive any benefit they are not included in the statistics.

They don't care about real people and their problems only about the statistics and their own salaries and bonuses......look at the uncaring parts of the NHS and the managers that don't care about anyone except themselves, peoples eyes need to be opened. ;)

Spot on and don't forget that after 6 months you can't claim jsa. I expect these people are also removed from the figures.

I thought they could still get "emergency" benefits - which I think is about half of JSA...

I thought they could still get "emergency" benefits - which I think is about half of JSA...

Its called hardship payments. But you are not entitled to it straight away, only after around 14 days I think. What you have is lots of people being sanctioned and so moving on and off the register.

I keep hearing the line "a million new jobs have been created in the private sector".

I'd like to see that broken down into salary ranges, to know how many of the new jobs were "zero hour" contracts, and how many were paying over 35k.

Anyone got that data?

I keep hearing the line "a million new jobs have been created in the private sector".

I'd like to see that broken down into salary ranges, to know how many of the new jobs were "zero hour" contracts, and how many were paying over 35k.

Anyone got that data?

An easy read on Wiki but the data is only for 2011.

Anyone got that data?

ONS

'In May 2013:

Average total pay (including bonuses) for employees in Great Britain was £476 per week.

Average regular pay (excluding bonuses) for employees in Great Britain was £446 per week.'

Edited by Sancho Panza

Someone on my Facebook made a strange comment this week.

He said he gone into the JCP and had a "weird interview" the upshot being he doesn't have to go back for six months.

Thats all I know at the moment, but I guess "somethings up" to produce those figures.

Anyone got that data?

I too am deeply suspicious about these million jobs. Technically they may be jobs, but if they're anything like what I come across online then they are likely to be low-quality zero hour contracts on extremely flexible hours for minimum wage (supermarkets, telesales, catering, carers, looking after kids or security staff typically). They aren't the type of jobs that will give you a reasonable standard of living in a high cost economy. Doesn't seem to concern those trumpeting these jobs, as long as the figures look better.

Someone on my Facebook made a strange comment this week.

He said he gone into the JCP and had a "weird interview" the upshot being he doesn't have to go back for six months.

Thats all I know at the moment, but I guess "somethings up" to produce those figures.

That's interesting....

Was he over 50 or 55 or maybe over 60?

The last time I was on the dole (about 7 years ago) the bloke next to me was told that being that he was over 60 he wouldn't need to sign on for a few year.

That's interesting....

Was he over 50 or 55 or maybe over 60?

The last time I was on the dole (about 7 years ago) the bloke next to me was told that being that he was over 60 he wouldn't need to sign on for a few year.

Nope, relative youngster I think.

ONS

'In May 2013:

Average total pay (including bonuses) for employees in Great Britain was £476 per week.

Average regular pay (excluding bonuses) for employees in Great Britain was £446 per week.'

Gross or net?

Anyone got that data?

A number of points about the "million new jobs created in the private sector" since the last General Election.

1. Just under 20% were due to the "reclassification of English colleges in Q2 2012, which resulted in 196,000 employees being reclassified from the public to the private sector" (ONS).

2. I'd like to see reliable figures for other jobs moved from the public sector to the private sector, through e.g. outsourcing, sacking people and then taking them back on, even temporarily, as self-employed contract workers / consultants / bank nurses etc.

3. No mention is made of the jobs lost from the private sector i.e. how many of the million jobs are merely making up for losses - and in raw numbers, not in quality.