House Price Crash Forum
tomandlu

Elizabeth Warren - Can We Have One Too, Please?

I have nothing but admiration for EW, and it seems I'm not alone. So, a politician with integrity and brains, and she's getting a lot of support - is there just a shortage of such people or something else? Are intelligence and honesty really in such short supply?

The system rewards mediocrity and people without convictions who are willing to say and do what needs to be said and done. The scum generally rises to the top, unfortunately. Someone here said it before, wanting to be a politician should be an exclusion criteria. ;)

I have nothing but admiration for EW, and it seems I'm not alone. So, a politician with integrity and brains, and she's getting a lot of support - is there just a shortage of such people or something else? Are intelligence and honesty really in such short supply?

Politically,she's more palatable for the mainstream media than someone like Ron Paul.Small steps etc.

The system rewards mediocrity and people without convictions who are willing to say and do what needs to be said and done. The scum generally rises to the top, unfortunately. Someone here said it before, wanting to be a politician should be an exclusion criteria. ;)

It generally appears that way, so how has EW bucked the trend?

She has been one of the few who has been asking difficult (but practical) questions about the dysfunctional financial system since the crash. Unlike Ron Paul, she hasn't been polemic, just matter of fact; stating things most people find obvious and asking why nothing is being done about them. In that sense she is much more dangerous to vested interests than Ron Paul as it is difficult to dismiss what she says as wacko. Funnily enough, she has also been the subject of many attacks by the rightwing in the US. :D

I imagine though that she will remain a marginal figure in US politics.

She has been one of the few who has been asking difficult (but practical) questions about the dysfunctional financial system since the crash. Unlike Ron Paul, she hasn't been polemic, just matter of fact; stating things most people find obvious and asking why nothing is being done about them. In that sense she is much more dangerous to vested interests than Ron Paul as it is difficult to dismiss what she says as wacko. Funnily enough, she has also been the subject of many attacks by the rightwing in the US. :D

I imagine though that she will remain a marginal figure in US politics.

The Overton Window in full effect! :rolleyes:

It generally appears that way, so how has EW bucked the trend?

Always the exception that proves the rule. I sincerely hope she continues to rise in influence as she continues to speak sense and ask awkward questions, but I believe this will be a tricky tightrope to navigate. More likely she will somehow be brought down a peg or two, embarrassed or otherwise politically neutered, or else she will be given an offer she cannot refuse. I hope she manages to stick to her guns.

Always the exception that proves the rule. I sincerely hope she continues to rise in influence as she continues to speak sense and ask awkward questions, but I believe this will be a tricky tightrope to navigate. More likely she will somehow be brought down a peg or two, embarrassed or otherwise politically neutered, or else she will be given an offer she cannot refuse. I hope she manages to stick to her guns.

She survived the 'fauxcahontas' onslaught so obviously has some political resilience.

She survived the 'fauxcahontas' onslaught so obviously has some political resilience.

Indeed. I wonder how much money was spent trying to smear her? The fact that that was the worst thing they could presumably find was very comical.

Yes I hjave thought this for as long as I have known her. Just one question - why is she 'in bed' with John McCain...?

Edited by Killer Bunny

Yes I hjave thought this for as long as I have known her. Just one question - why is she 'in bed' with John McCain...?

They have a shared interest in reinstating glass-steagall, and JC admits she's more knowledgeable than him.

She's already moved way beyond that. She's the senior senator for Massachusetts and is very influential.

Is Elizabeth Warren already eyeing 2016 White House Bid?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/16/is-elizabeth-warren-already-eyeing-2016-white-house-bid/#

The Facebook page mentioned on it doesn't have many likes

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elizabeth-Warren-for-President-2016/104694622899318

I suspect 2020 more likely. I did ask a liberal US commentator about this a few months ago - the consensus seemed to be that it was too early for her. I know there have been fans of hers on this site for some years, but in general she's only just coming to people's wider attention, plus she has a confusing political history (aka wasn't always a democrat and doesn't see herself as with an entrenched allegiance to either party).

Warren and Spitzer are the only american public figures with any real integrity as far as I can see- everyone else seems to be either bought or too scared to speak out.

They have a shared interest in reinstating glass-steagall, and JC admits she's more knowledgeable than him.

Why on Earth would j McC have an inteerst in bringing to hell banks? I don't get it.

She's already moved way beyond that. She's the senior senator for Massachusetts and is very influential.

She is senior senator for Mass. after just 2 years in the senate purely by luck - John Kerry the senior senator leaving to become secretary of state. I don't think she is that influential using any reasonable measure, certainly doesn't yet serve on many of the major committees as she hasn't been in the senate long enough.

She is senior senator for Mass. after just 2 years in the senate purely by luck - John Kerry the senior senator leaving to become secretary of state. I don't think she is that influential using any reasonable measure, certainly doesn't yet serve on many of the major committees as she hasn't been in the senate long enough.

She's on the banking committee though which is obviously where her interest lies at the moment - http://www.banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=CommitteeInformation.Membership