House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ologhai Jones

Lloyds Or Bank Of Scotland Vantage

Lloyds TSB and Bank of Scotland both offer a current account called Vantage. It offers an IR of 3% and its only stipulation is that £1k must be paid in each month. However, as each institution currently allows up to three such accounts to be opened by the same person, standing orders can be set up between them to fulfil this stipulation.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Unfortunately not. Although I've had current accounts with both banks previously and found the Bank of Scotland deliver far better service to their customers.

Unfortunately not. Although I've had current accounts with both banks previously and found the Bank of Scotland deliver far better service to their customers.

Thanks for the info, although I'd not be planning to use these 'current' accounts as anything other than savings accounts really, so only-reasonable customer service would probably suffice. If I really were intending to switch current accounts, I may be more concerned about how day-to-day helpful they are when the need arises.

i also though about this

I was going to use nationwide account '5%' and Lloyds account '3%'.

you must put a 1000 pound in per month and there is few other limits to avoid

Somewhat surprising - been rejected for both.

Was going to switch my main account to one of them too.

Checked my credit score and it's excellent. They obviously don't think I'll make them money

Done some digging - it's because I don't have enough credit history - so I'm automatically being rejected.

Not sure what to do now!

hsbc had a regular saver at 6% i had awful trouble setting up . I live with my mum currently and dont have many bills in my name yet i already have account with them for about 15years. As far i was concerned i could not prove who i was even though i had debt card with me.

the problems

mobile phone bill wont do as proof.

if you print a broadband bill or statment from another bank. it wont do cause it has to be on headed note paper.

in the end i had to get very grumpy in the bank with staff and complain to manager. still not got any where. in the end i phoned them from home and pointed out if they did not do this i would close the account , pension sheme closed and the mortgage i had agreed with them in princable would not be taken up.

hour later they phoned me back and set it up.

I've now opened six Classic Vantage accounts: three with Lloyds-TSB, three with Bank of Scotland. It wasn't the most fun experience one can have with a bank (I would imagine), but I suppose it was about as painless as one could expect.

If you can be bothered, it's 6 x £5k at 3% which is hardly worth partying about, but... well, it's all relative.

I've now opened six Classic Vantage accounts: three with Lloyds-TSB, three with Bank of Scotland. It wasn't the most fun experience one can have with a bank (I would imagine), but I suppose it was about as painless as one could expect.

If you can be bothered, it's 6 x £5k at 3% which is hardly worth partying about, but... well, it's all relative.

But is there a monthly charge of around £12 for a vantage account ? or is that just for a gold vantage account. My interest just covers the charge each month

But is there a monthly charge of around £12 for a vantage account ? or is that just for a gold vantage account. My interest just covers the charge each month

The Classic Vantage accounts I've opened incur no monthly charge.

There is an optional feature called Control--if memory serves--for which there's a £10pm charge. Of course, I opted out. I couldn't even tell you what Control would give me, but I'm pretty sure I didn't want it. ;)

I'm running 3 Lloyds Vantage accounts now. They did a special offer last September where you could apply for a special 4% rate if you keep your balance between 5 and 6K and have some direct debits (and the minimum £1000 coming in). This ends in October so it's back to 3% on 3-5K. Incidentally a few years ago the rate used to be 4% on 5-7K if I remember correctly but then savings rates everywhere were better. Now Vantage it's a pretty good way to keep a modest sum at a reasonable rate and sure beats most dedicated savings accounts.