House Price Crash Forum

High Profile Athletes Fail Drug Tests

Ash4781

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

They all seem to have been caught taking oxilofrine, I am sure that it is an accident and was in some new supplement or vitamin pill and oxilofrine was not declared on the label and so they didn't know.

Cynical people might say they were unlucky as either a new test can now detect it before it disappears from the system or bad timing on their part. But of course this also begs the question ... what about the others who win races? Are they clean or lucky?

I think that money (once again!) is the real problem here.........

Sport is now BIG money..........

If one athlete appears to go faster by eating apples then they all start eating apples.........

nutritional supplements are pretty much un-regulated and yet still they all try them

athletes are paid big money and therefore consume what they are told by their managers/sponsors

Then there is stupidity, for example...

I was watching the tour de france yesterday and noticed how many riders gratefully took drinks off complete strangers at the side of the road. What was in those drinks???????????? the riders certainly didn't know...........

HOLA445

I was watching the tour de france yesterday and noticed how many riders gratefully took drinks off complete strangers at the side of the road. What was in those drinks???????????? the riders certainly didn't know...........

The teams have some of their people on the course, handing out drinks where the cars can't get to easily - eg mountain top.

The only time a rider would take something from a spectator is if it was water and then only for pouring over his head.

HOLA446
HOLA447

The teams have some of their people on the course, handing out drinks where the cars can't get to easily - eg mountain top.

The only time a rider would take something from a spectator is if it was water and then only for pouring over his head.

I once got penalised 6 places for taking a drink off a spectator...........

I had punctured and took a wheel and a drink off a spectator.......

..........thought the penalty was for the wheel, but apparently that was Ok but NOT the drink :huh:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

All professional athletes, with very few exceptions are taking drugs

correct.

i read into it extensively during the olympics. here's how it works:

High testosterone levels being absolutely critical for success in strength/ spint events; the athletics authorities have set high maximum legal levels of this hormone.

the athletes then supplement, making sure they don't exceed this limit when tested during competitions.

during training they can temporarily exceed the limit if based somehere with a lax/ non-existent out-of-competition testing regime

(Jamaica is a popular international training venue)

this is what's called a "level playing field".

occasionally somebody gets their timings/doses wrong, gets branded a "drug cheat" in the papers and cops a temporary ban.

records are continually broken, pleasing meet organizers, sponsors, media and fans.

it's in nobody's interest to change any of this.

HOLA4411

correct.

i read into it extensively during the olympics.

here's how it works:

High testosterone levels being absolutely critical for success in strength/ spint events; the athletics authorities have set high maximum legal levels of this hormone.

the athletes then supplement, making sure they don't exceed this limit when tested during competitions.

during training they can temporarily exceed the limit if based somehere with a lax/ non-existent out-of-competition testing regime (Jamaica?)

this is what's called a "level playing field",

whereby records are continually broken, pleasing meet organizers, sponsors, media and fans.

occasionally somebody gets their timings/doses wrong, gets branded a "drug cheat" in the papers and cops a temporary ban.

it's in nobody's interest to change any of this.

I believe it's around 300mg a week, which is 4-6 times the actual average.

It's not just testosterone though.

The guys who get caught cheating are often middle of the pack.

So either steroids don't actually provide an advantage - or the guys at the front are also on them.

If they don't provide an advantage why do so many people get caught on them?

Legit medical studies have also demonstrated they can give people a huge advantage in sports, so it's not that.

The logical explanation is that they are all on them.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I believe it's around 300mg a week, which is 4-6 times the actual average.

It's not just testosterone though.

The guys who get caught cheating are often middle of the pack.

So either steroids don't actually provide an advantage - or the guys at the front are also on them.

If they don't provide an advantage why do so many people get caught on them?

j

Legit medical studies have also demonstrated they can give people a huge advantage in sports, so it's not that.

The logical explanation is that they are all on them.

Not logical at all. Not all men are created equal, and not all train in the same way.

Can't help but feel a sense of deja vu over this, but you are wrong to draw the conclusion that anyone who beats a cheater is a cheat themselves.

Edit Deja-vu indeed, from the Lance thread:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=180595&st=117

Your point is as accurate now as it was then.

HOLA4416

I suppose a lie detector test would be a way to shut doubters up if it was doing your head in.

Then again they are not 100% accurate.

I find it all a bit of a shame. Never mind if drugs are involved - the training and effort these blokes put in is incredible.

I imagine drugs started coming into sport in a big way when big money got its claws in.

HOLA4417

I suppose a lie detector test would be a way to shut doubters up if it was doing your head in.

Then again they are not 100% accurate.

I find it all a bit of a shame. Never mind if drugs are involved - the training and effort these blokes put in is incredible.

I imagine drugs started coming into sport in a big way when big money got its claws in.

Agreed, it's a shame for those that would have had a slice of the action were it not for cheating.

HOLA4418

Agreed, it's a shame for those that would have had a slice of the action were it not for cheating.

Must be most annoying for those not at it who are also the best.

Would do my head in. Surprised nobody ever just breaks and blurts out the names of those they know at it.

I probably would after a few beers.

HOLA4419

Must be most annoying for those not at it who are also the best.

Would do my head in. Surprised nobody ever just breaks and blurts out the names of those they know at it.

I probably would after a few beers.

Likewise, and I suspect the media types are encouraged not to rock the boat etc. When you see a cover up on the scale of Savile, a few doping bikers is chickenfeed.

An acquaintance at uni was a talented rider, around 2002 so we now know the extent of the drug use at the top, but even in the level he was competing at the bins in the loo would be full of syringes. He turned pro eventually so these wouldhave been a decent standard of event for a UK day race. Pretty shocking really, amazing how a culture takes hold. It'll take years to clean up cycling, was gutted Vino won the road race at the Olympics.

HOLA4420

Is it not standard practice to freeze samples so that they can be retested at some point in the future when the science improves? Is that even possible without it degenerating, or maybe they need to use gallons of the stuff in the test?

HOLA4421

Likewise, and I suspect the media types are encouraged not to rock the boat etc. When you see a cover up on the scale of Savile, a few doping bikers is chickenfeed.

An acquaintance at uni was a talented rider, around 2002 so we now know the extent of the drug use at the top, but even in the level he was competing at the bins in the loo would be full of syringes. He turned pro eventually so these wouldhave been a decent standard of event for a UK day race. Pretty shocking really, amazing how a culture takes hold. It'll take years to clean up cycling, was gutted Vino won the road race at the Olympics.

That is pretty bad.

I am a clean amatuer - well apart from the odd recreational substance lol.

And they certainly don't help with cycling at all :lol:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

That is pretty bad.

I am a clean amatuer - well apart from the odd recreational substance lol.

And they certainly don't help with cycling at all :lol:

Yes you have tried "performance reducing" products! :huh:

Archived