House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Brown Claim 2 More Victims - Britannia And Co Op Bank - His Part In Their Downfall

Si1

HOLA441

So am I right about this- co op bank bought Britannia building soc in 2009 on false pretences that Britannia's under funding was not that bad, and the regulators turned a blind eye

Kicking the can down the road, one failed institution turned into 2, well done Gordon.

HOLA442

So am I right about this- co op bank bought Britannia building soc in 2009 on false pretences that Britannia's under funding was not that bad, and the regulators turned a blind eye

Kicking the can down the road, one failed institution turned into 2, well done Gordon.

The regulators around that time (the FSA guys who approved this) etc are all not doing too badly at the moment. Mr Brown still has groups receptive audience for his speech circuits. There were are few more building societies failures as well.

However, CoOp Bank is not really bust at this point - it was only the demand from PRA that they increase their capital to 9% within a fairly short time period that tips it over the edge.

The ConDem sounds and looks cooler then the previous lots, but they are hardly any more competent.

HOLA443

Oh come off it, Gordon Brown is a parody of a man with various desperate rambling books on courage, his own speeches, and his own messed up view of the economy, there's little he can do to dig himself out of his reputational ditch

HOLA444

Britannia Building Society was one of the building societies of last resort so to speak.

So maybe not enough care was taken by the CoOp when they looked at the books.

The CoOp also invested heavily in Football!! They closed the loan to Sheffield Wednesday to enable a buy out.

There were probably more unusual "Ethical" transactions as well.

Lastly, I dont believe for one minute that some of the other banks are well run bastions of sound policy etc.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Britannia are/were heavily into BTL mortgages - the reason I withdrew my bits of savings from them (and they were paying poor savings rates)

BSs should not be offering btl products IMHO.

....correct....they are not mortgages as such... but more business loans to individuals..and others....and were not covered by FSA mortgage regulation ..or the new lot ...all such a mess under Labour and the current government are trying to peddle hard against the tide to catch up with the total mess and mayhem..... :rolleyes:

HOLA447