House Price Crash Forum

Sickening Increase In W6

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Lordy lordy. 5 million or not the first thing I think of when I hear of 'Hammersmith' is Bottom, with Eddie Hitler and Richie Rich. (and Mr Rottweiler)

That was the 90s though. Sure is nicer now :unsure:

I worked in Hammersmith for may years and lived close by. It was and still is to my mind a dirty, smelly, noisy and generally unpleasant place to be. It absolutely amazes me that anyone would want to live there at all let alone pay to live there. Individuals buying this stuff at this price have obtained the money to pay for it far too easily.

HOLA446
HOLA447

The area to the west of Shepherds Bush Road (where this price rise is concentrated) is full of nice big homes. They should be in reach of a reasonably well-off middle-class family (as they were less than twenty years ago - our cousins live there).

It's an extreme example, but the traditional middle-class homes in London are completely out of sync with middle class earnings. People who would have bought in Hampstead twenty years ago now buy in Hammersmith, and those buyers probably even find Balham out of reach and are scrabbling around for something half-way decent in Tooting...

HOLA448

The vendor is hoping for some rich Russian investor to snap it up for cash, comrade.

the first thing I think of when I hear of 'Hammersmith' is Bottom, with Eddie Hitler and Richie Rich. (and Mr Rottweiler)

A I wonder how much their grotty maisonette would be worth today? :D

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I know the area very well. The road itself is full of criminals including robbers and drug dealers less than 100m away. There is a real mix in the type of housing there which you wouldn't notice from the outside.

The tory council are attempting to redesign the social/economic levels of the borough. They are trying to bulldoze shepherds bush market and the homeless center for luxury flats. The same too for the West Ken Estate and now the White City. Its social engineering to maintain control of the council and take MP seat off Labour.

Meanwhile the normal middle class, workers and key workers are being pushed out of London completely with shit holes such as Feltam one of the last barely affordable areas in the West.

Social tenants are being sent toEast London or out of London completely.

HOLA4411

It's got money laundering or some other dodgy tax scam written all over it. blink.gif

Yes.

The volumes of UK housing is on the floor - even London.

The London housing market is different as the majority of transaction appear to be laundering.

Sure the people's whose house is used for laundering are getting a cut and cash is spilling to other area.

Not sure how long this can go on - cross border corruption is pretty hot at the moment.

HOLA4412

I worked in Hammersmith for may years and lived close by. It was and still is to my mind a dirty, smelly, noisy and generally unpleasant place to be. It absolutely amazes me that anyone would want to live there at all let alone pay to live there. Individuals buying this stuff at this price have obtained the money to pay for it far too easily.

Yep, worst place in the whole of west London for me. £5m is nuts, £1.6m was nuts in 2007.

Hammersmith is one of those places that will never gentrify, but it already seems to have prices in line with it's nicer neighbours.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I know the area very well. The road itself is full of criminals including robbers and drug dealers less than 100m away. There is a real mix in the type of housing there which you wouldn't notice from the outside.

The tory council are attempting to redesign the social/economic levels of the borough. They are trying to bulldoze shepherds bush market and the homeless center for luxury flats. The same too for the West Ken Estate and now the White City. Its social engineering to maintain control of the council and take MP seat off Labour.

Meanwhile the normal middle class, workers and key workers are being pushed out of London completely with shit holes such as Feltam one of the last barely affordable areas in the West.

Social tenants are being sent toEast London or out of London completely.

Most here do not understand what is going on, it seems you really understand whats going on. Hammersmith and Fulham are on the path for social cleansing, kick out the poor, increase the area for those that can not find a place in Kensington and Chelsea ie the rich. At the same time rents rise so workers can't afford to live in central London as high quality/fashionable homes increase and low quality/ fashionable homes decrease (council estates) rents rise. As this happened they get pushed into other areas pushing up rents.

There are 100s of empty flats in Hammermsith and Fulham, council homes,yet the council have not used them to reduce the housing problem in London shows me they have no plans to reduce it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

There are 100s of empty flats in Hammermsith and Fulham, council homes,yet the council have not used them to reduce the housing problem in London shows me they have no plans to reduce it.

There is something a little inappropriate about council housing in an area that expensive. If the people paying for said housing cannot afford to live there, perhaps it's not such an affront not to use their money so the very poorest in society can.

However, leaving taxpayer-owned housing unoccupied is unlikely to be all that helpful, particularly without a very good reason . How do you know that it is happening?

HOLA4419

There is something a little inappropriate about council housing in an area that expensive. If the people paying for said housing cannot afford to live there, perhaps it's not such an affront not to use their money so the very poorest in society can.

However, leaving taxpayer-owned housing unoccupied is unlikely to be all that helpful, particularly without a very good reason . How do you know that it is happening?

Balanced communities have a mix of people from different walks of life, with different budgets, different lines of work and from different classes.........failed communities are when the rich and those they see as like them live together in enclaves, while the poor and disadvantaged are pushed into inferior areas away to hopefully be out of sight out of mind.....that is not how a balance works, the rich should be working on pulling up the poor behind them not kicking them to the ground and backwards into the gutter. ;)

HOLA4420

Most here do not understand what is going on, it seems you really understand whats going on. Hammersmith and Fulham are on the path for social cleansing, kick out the poor, increase the area for those that can not find a place in Kensington and Chelsea ie the rich. At the same time rents rise so workers can't afford to live in central London as high quality/fashionable homes increase and low quality/ fashionable homes decrease (council estates) rents rise. As this happened they get pushed into other areas pushing up rents.

If true, this is not a good sign.....social cleansing according to health, wealth and class. :huh:

HOLA4421

Balanced communities have a mix of people from different walks of life, with different budgets, different lines of work and from different classes.........failed communities are when the rich and those they see as like them live together in enclaves, while the poor and disadvantaged are pushed into inferior areas away to hopefully be out of sight out of mind.....that is not how a balance works, the rich should be working on pulling up the poor behind them not kicking them to the ground and backwards into the gutter. ;)

Errm, that sounds like a creative writing class assignment gone very badly wrong. It's not the case that there are only "balanced" and "failed" communities. You can't have been paying much attention if you don't know the country cannot afford to provide million pound council houses.

HOLA4422

It's got money laundering or some other dodgy tax scam written all over it. blink.gif

+1

I live not too far from there and those numbers don't add up. It's easy to imagine tax scams that involve property. eg. Buy my million pound house for 5 million pounds and you can have my share of the company. It makes you wonder how many other scam deals make it onto the Land Registry and the effect it has on HP statistics.

HOLA4423

Errm, that sounds like a creative writing class assignment gone very badly wrong. It's not the case that there are only "balanced" and "failed" communities. You can't have been paying much attention if you don't know the country cannot afford to provide million pound council houses.

Think why there was something built they called 'a council house' so that the working lower paid workers could stay and work in the areas they knew and were brought up in......if you can afford and would want to buy a million pound council flat...it only goes to prove that the system has failed, one half has broken off from the other half....it's broke. ;)

HOLA4424

there are no balanced communities in the rich parts of London. Only the rich and the poor remain.. the middle class were forced out years ago. Now the middle class pay for the poor to stay there.

HOLA4425

there are no balanced communities in the rich parts of London. Only the rich and the poor remain.. the middle class were forced out years ago. Now the middle class pay for the poor to stay there.

+1. And the rich parts of London are spreading all the time...