House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Letting Agent Vandalised My Property

This is a weird one. I bought a modest house in West London a couple of years ago (figured the government was going to bail ad inifinitum) and came home the other day to find a local letting agent had nailed a sign onto the brand new brick wall I had built at the front.

Naturally I pulled it down and broke it into three pieces. Cheeky scum. They came and quietly removed the pieces this afternoon.

Anyway, my question is this - I'd like to invoice the letting agent for the damage they (mistakenly) did to my property. I assume its a mistake, but they haven't apologised yet. Does anyone have any experience of this? Any advice?

They said they would call me today to discuss but being letting agents, they didn't bother of course mad.gif.

Cheers

This is a weird one. I bought a modest house in West London a couple of years ago (figured the government was going to bail ad inifinitum) and came home the other day to find a local letting agent had nailed a sign onto the brand new brick wall I had built at the front.

Naturally I pulled it down and broke it into three pieces. Cheeky scum. They came and quietly removed the pieces this afternoon.

Anyway, my question is this - I'd like to invoice the letting agent for the damage they (mistakenly) did to my property. I assume its a mistake, but they haven't apologised yet. Does anyone have any experience of this? Any advice?

They said they would call me today to discuss but being letting agents, they didn't bother of course mad.gif.

Cheers

Basic rules of dealing with any agency or organisation.

1. Everything in writing. If you have to have a verbal conversation, document it and send them a copy, stating that this is for the record and you wuld welcome any corrections

2. set timelines for action on both sides. For example, their promise to talk to you 'today' if documented is an example of their bad behaviour

The above are of great use if you have to go to the small claims court. In my experience it also makes them behave better as they know if you are organised to document stuff, the risk of pissing you about is much higher

Basic rules of dealing with any agency or organisation.

1. Everything in writing. If you have to have a verbal conversation, document it and send them a copy, stating that this is for the record and you wuld welcome any corrections

2. set timelines for action on both sides. For example, their promise to talk to you 'today' if documented is an example of their bad behaviour

The above are of great use if you have to go to the small claims court. In my experience it also makes them behave better as they know if you are organised to document stuff, the risk of pissing you about is much higher

+1

Also a bit of legalise ("Without prejudice" etc) will probably get them worried.

I hope you took a photo of it first...

I might have been inclined to photo it then report it to the police as "criminal damage" or something, the crime number

might come in handy down the line.... Then write to the agent LETTER BEFORE ACTION - RE: Criminal Damage etc....

You can't do that now though seeing as your smashed up their property too!

London agents are quite shocking. I rented a flat once only to find out they had let other people move in before out

move out date! Some of our stuff still in there and some cleaning to do. Everything paid up to date always etc.

Law seems to go out the window a bit when it is non-born brits letting to other non-born brits.... but in our case

they picked a born brit and we got a big payout for illegal eviction etc.