House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry Monk

Help With Car Valuation Please.

I'm thinking of replacing my ancient Rover Sterling with a Rover 75 diesel automatic.

There's one for sale locally at £3,000, a 55-reg. Parker's value it at £3,020 with 80,000 miles but this one has done 103,000 miles. I am too mean to pay for Parker's premium service telling me what the price adjustment should be for the extra mileage so wonder if anybody "in the know" could suggest a figure. It's the Contemporary Hi-line SE version which of the top trim level.

Also it's due a service (a bit overdue in fact) and I thought of knocking the price of that off of my offering price, would that be reasonable? My local garage say that would be around £200 + VAT for a full service.

And also any other pointers from anyone who owns/ has owned a Rover 75 would be welcome.

You should not buy a Diesel, Harry, even if it makes sense for Trucks! ;)

I would say that is to much look here http://www.gumtree.com/rover/uk/rover+75+diesel

That is an early poverty-spec manual version though, I do want an late top-end automatic. But thanks for the link, all input is always gratefully received..

You should not buy a Diesel, Harry, even if it makes sense for Trucks! ;)

The 1.8 petrol is prone to head gasket failure, the 2.5 petrol V6 costs a fortune in VED, the 2.0 BMW engined diesel is generally recommended as the one to go for.

From a business expense POV aren't you better with that double-cab pick-up type thing you were looking at?

From a business expense POV aren't you better with that double-cab pick-up type thing you were looking at?

Unfortunately not, HMRC don't make any type of allowance for any company car nowadays it seems, in fact a company car seems to be a liability these days so I'm looking at this from the view of a private motorist.

Clutch slave is made of plastic and mounted inside the bell housing.

When (not if) it fails, it's a lot of work and you'll want to fit a new clutch while you're at it.

No matter how nice the car is, if it hasn't had that done already, I'd factor that into any offer price.

Asking price sounds high to me.

Valuing cheap cars is a minefiled because it depends where you buy them. Dealers will always over price cars by a considerable amount and i would not personally buy from a dealer.

The reason for this is that when a person comes to sell their car, they generally sell privately if the car is in good condition / enthusiast owned because good cars always sell quickly if price correctly.

Problem cars are usually 'traded in' because faults would be too problematic for a private sale.

Private sales show big variation in price. Being patient and waiting for the right deal is key here.

The trouble with parker's is that mileage is irrelevant on many cars. I would much rather pay 3k for an enthusiast 1 owner car on 150k than a 10 owner part service history car on 70k (which will almost certainly have been clocked).

And yes, i believe most cars are clocked, So always buy solely on condition. Mileage is irrelevant. Clocking is as simple as plugging a lap top in and picking a figure.

We've one of these. Its an automatic estate on a 54 plate with about 55K on the clock. I'm sure we wouldn't get more that 2k for it, but that's on a trade-in (think it might even be less).

A lovely car to drive - feels like real luxury. Incredibly frugal on the diesel long distance but drinks it on short journeys.

If you fit a Mike Satur head gasket to the 1.8k becomes very solid. Mine did 5 years of trackdays without any issues :)

youd think theyd know how to make a head gasket...i mean, the motor car is over 100 years in development, isnt it?

youd think theyd know how to make a head gasket...i mean, the motor car is over 100 years in development, isnt it?

This thread has some illuminating posts from knowledgeable people, "659FBE", "Number_Cruncher" and "Robin the Technician".

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=55015

The K-series seems like it was a flawed design. I thought about buying an MG-TF, but the number of BBs with posters who practically consider a head gasket replacement as a regular service item was alarming.

This thread has some illuminating posts from knowledgeable people, "659FBE", "Number_Cruncher" and "Robin the Technician".

http://www.honestjoh...dex.htm?t=55015

The K-series seems like it was a flawed design. I thought about buying an MG-TF, but the number of BBs with posters who practically consider a head gasket replacement as a regular service item was alarming.

reading these boards is a hypercarcondriacs wet dream....I wouldnt buy another car again, what with £000s in bills for petrol and diesel engines....

saying that, Ive NEVER had an engine failure. Prolly done a half a million miles....ohno, nearly forgot...I did have one...it was a 1.3 Morris Marina Company car, which I thrashed every where I went wanting a replacement (it had two speeds...Thrash or stop).....they got a new "gold" engine fitted.....went nice with the new rear axle and gear box, falling off exhaust pipe and everything else wrong....the wiper motor was louder than the horn and the only good thing were a couple of Cibie SPots on the front....I think I could have illuminated the moon if i could aim them up..

reading these boards is a hypercarcondriacs wet dream....I wouldnt buy another car again, what with £000s in bills for petrol and diesel engines....

saying that, Ive NEVER had an engine failure. Prolly done a half a million miles....ohno, nearly forgot...I did have one...it was a 1.3 Morris Marina Company car, which I thrashed every where I went wanting a replacement (it had two speeds...Thrash or stop).....they got a new "gold" engine fitted.....went nice with the new rear axle and gear box, falling off exhaust pipe and everything else wrong....the wiper motor was louder than the horn and the only good thing were a couple of Cibie SPots on the front....I think I could have illuminated the moon if i could aim them up..

Of course, it is tempting to think that all the examples of problems represent a small subset of owners. Check out the classifieds for MG-TFs though, and a a pretty significant fraction mention head gasket work. It appears that the unmodified 1.8 K series is a problem waiting to happen.

Of course, it is tempting to think that all the examples of problems represent a small subset of owners. Check out the classifieds for MG-TFs though, and a a pretty significant fraction mention head gasket work. It appears that the unmodified 1.8 K series is a problem waiting to happen.

popped along to an MG club last year...there is some long pipe set that needs to be replaced with a non corroding one...goes from front to back IIRC...cheap to do if you are an enthusiast, but expensive in a garage.

What was the true eye opener for me, was just how tiny cars from 40 years ago were.

popped along to an MG club last year...there is some long pipe set that needs to be replaced with a non corroding one...goes from front to back IIRC...cheap to do if you are an enthusiast, but expensive in a garage.

What was the true eye opener for me, was just how tiny cars from 40 years ago were.

Maybe people were smaller back then? :blink: You should get a 1970's Plymouth Barracuda! :o

Yup can recall seeing a jaguar 420G parked next to a Ford Focus and the Ford towered over it and was considerably more bulbous. The 420G was a big car in its day.

And also any other pointers from anyone who owns/ has owned a Rover 75 would be welcome.

I tend to notice that Parker's over-value premium cars and tend to under-value access level cars. A Rover 75 will have a very limited market, high maintenance, high fuel consumption and high insurance; but when you are used to lorries I suppose you will be unphased. I would drive a hard bargain on a 75 if I were you.

Everyone I've known who's had a MG with the 1.8 in it has had a head gasket failure at around 80k miles. Its not an urban myth. This same engine went in to freelanders, TFs and all sorts of Rover/MG cack...

Not heard about Hondas being plagued by it though, even though its one of their units originally... Rover cutting costs rather than Honda maybe?

I assumed that there might be some corrosion problems with the 75, because I have seen some very corroded 25s of the last batch that came out in the noughties. Having googled this, however, they do seem to be pretty robust with the exception of front brake pipes and hidden areas such as door pillars....so worth checking thoroughly. Not worth paying 3K for any car with spot rust.

1373879705[/url]' post='909358197']

I assumed that there might be some corrosion problems with the 75, because I have seen some very corroded 25s of the last batch that came out in the noughties. Having googled this, however, they do seem to be pretty robust with the exception of front brake pipes and hidden areas such as door pillars....so worth checking thoroughly. Not worth paying 3K for any car with spot rust.

I've always liked the look of the Rover 75. However, a car on our estate caught my attention due to the excessive amount of rust damage to the bonnet. Turned out to be a 75. Up until that point I had thought rust was a pre 1995 problem.

I've always liked the look of the Rover 75. However, a car on our estate caught my attention due to the excessive amount of rust damage to the bonnet. Turned out to be a 75. Up until that point I had thought rust was a pre 1995 problem.

It certainly is on most foreign models, Rover never quite cracked their corrosion problems. I've seen 25s and 45s from the mid noughties in a shocking state. I guess 75s would have had more careful attention and touching up jobs from their owners and that might explain why most owners seem happy on that score.

Probably an accountant somewhere in Rover/Honda had a wet dream about saving 0.4p per unit by using a sub-standard gasket.

The channels between water and oil in a 1.8K are narrow (I think the block was designed as a 1.4?), so a decent head gasket should have been considered vital.

Since my head gasket was upgraded my 1.8K has been thrashed senseless with nothing but regular oil changes and is still running fine.

Picked up an old Honda Civic 2000 year vintage with a D-series petrol engine for very little money (< £500). 2 owners fron new with just under 130k on the clock. Already put on 3000 miles in the last two months. Looks very clean as if it has been garaged all its life. The 1.6 engine is pretty good and when I compare it to an old Vauxhall I owned once with similar mileage this engine feels a lot more responsive and not knackered. Averaging 41 mpg mixed driving. Next cam belt change at 165k miles :)

Can definately recommend looking at Hondas!

Up until that point I had thought rust was a pre 1995 problem.

Really? It's alive and well, Mercedes riddled with it and Japs still have a tendency for it.

Really? It's alive and well, Mercedes riddled with it and Japs still have a tendency for it.

Ford Pumas (>2002), Ka's (>2008), early Focus's... all have rust problems.

I had to replace a wing on my 55 Seat because it was starting to bubble... only £35 from a scrapper tho, vanity change rather than MOT failure.

Look close at many early-mid naughties cars and you will still find many problem cases.