House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Shirtless Men ?

Best way to get vitamin D.

Pretty much, and a big belly gets more! :blink:

Sounded like a lot of British bashing going on there, I really don't have a problem with guys being topless as long as it forms part of the equality laws ( . )( . ) :rolleyes:

my dad was a publican in the 70's/80's/90's, he would refuse to serve any man without a shirt. I can sort of see his point.

on the other hand anyone seen the advert for southern comfort on the telly, fat bloke with belly, moustache, sunglasses strolling down a beach 1970's, I presume it's supposed to be ironic.

my dad was a publican in the 70's/80's/90's, he would refuse to serve any man without a shirt. I can sort of see his point.

on the other hand anyone seen the advert for southern comfort on the telly, fat bloke with belly, moustache, sunglasses strolling down a beach 1970's, I presume it's supposed to be ironic.

That's different though, not serving food/drink to someone who is shirtless is ok. But sitting around in the park with your shirt off is also fine.

It's fine if you're in half decent nick, if not it's not such a good idea. Either way i wouldn't support trying to ban it. People should be free to do what they like, even if they look ridiculous.

Either way i wouldn't support trying to ban it. People should be free to do what they like, even if they look ridiculous.

Presumably meaning that you're of the view that complete nudity in public is okay for both sexes.

Presumably meaning that you're of the view that complete nudity in public is okay for both sexes.

It certainly should be. But this country's shameful treatment of Stephen Gough says otherwise.

As long as they don't have bad tattoos its fine. In newcastle the chances of that are slim.

Must say in later years it annoys me, not sure why. Probably because I associate it was chavs.

I wouldn't want to be nude in public, but i'm not bothered about other people.

Covering your genitalia seems to be a social norm across most human societies and cultures, so maybe that's where we should draw the line. It's not something i worry about much.

I wouldn't want to be nude in public, but i'm not bothered about other people.

Covering your genitalia seems to be a social norm across most human societies and cultures, so maybe that's where we should draw the line. It's not something i worry about much.

It should only require a small leaf! :blink:

I am more in favour of women going topless in public.

Except if they are grandmothers and/or have displayed an interest in Feminist Issues.

Except if they are grandmothers and/or have displayed an interest in Feminist Issues.

It's funny that the feminist anti "tits out" stuff is at heart rough women trying to control other - normally younger - women with better "assets" because they're trying to level out the competition for - and attention of - men.

All women should get their tits out! I promise I won't look! :lol:

What's wrong with grandmothers? In Germany nudism in the over 60's is wide spread.

I know a few under 40 women who are already grandmothers.

Odd, isn't it. In the old days (pre-1970s) going bare-chested for men was only done by people in the roughest, dirtiest professions like coal mining.

Then at some point in the mid 70s or so, (probably the summer of '76) men started wandering around bare chested, their beerguts bulging over their brown sta-prest flares and wearing their Elvis sunglasses.

When I was a kid (70s-80s) you used to see it a lot more with 'respectable' men than you do now - dads with kids on days out etc. I've only seen chavs do it in recent years.

In the USA a lot of places have signs saying 'no shirt, no shoes, no service' but I'm not sure I've ever seen that in the UK except in McDonald's.

Odd, isn't it. In the old days (pre-1970s) going bare-chested for men was only done by people in the roughest, dirtiest professions like coal mining.

Then at some point in the mid 70s or so, (probably the summer of '76) men started wandering around bare chested, their beerguts bulging over their brown sta-prest flares and wearing their Elvis sunglasses.

When I was a kid (70s-80s) you used to see it a lot more with 'respectable' men than you do now - dads with kids on days out etc. I've only seen chavs do it in recent years.

In the USA a lot of places have signs saying 'no shirt, no shoes, no service' but I'm not sure I've ever seen that in the UK except in McDonald's.

Yes my grandfather went topless whenever the weather was hot, 70s & 80s like you say. He was pretty flabby.

It is strange how attitudes change. Until the Victorian era it was common for both sexes to swim naked, and many men kept doing so until around 1870. Then came the swimming costumes which covered practically everything up for both genders.

I rarely go topless myself - perhaps around the house if I have some decorating to do and it's a hot day. I might even consider doing so on a hot day in the garden if I have heavy work to do. Been skinny dipping a few times in secluded places too.

But I have no problem with others choosing to wear as much or as little as they like. If you want to wear a burkha in the inner city or stroll across the countryside naked - that's fine with me.

It is strange how attitudes change. Until the Victorian era it was common for both sexes to swim naked, and many men kept doing so until around 1870. Then came the swimming costumes which covered practically everything up for both genders.

True, although they were strictly segregated and 'bathing' was done in private, more like washing than swimming.

I wonder if fewer men go shirtless now because of the popularity of more comfortable, lighter cotton shirts, tee shirts, polo shirts etc?

In the shirts-off heyday of the 1970s most men over 30 or so normally wore bri-nylon long sleeve shirts most of the time, at least 65% man made fibre and in a tight fitting style, which would have been incredibly hot, sticky and sweaty and the temptation to rip them off must have been massive.

I rarely go topless myself - perhaps around the house if I have some decorating to do and it's a hot day. I might even consider doing so on a hot day in the garden if I have heavy work to do. Been skinny dipping a few times in secluded places too.

But I have no problem with others choosing to wear as much or as little as they like. If you want to wear a burkha in the inner city or stroll across the countryside naked - that's fine with me.

Victorian Swansea had a bye law banning women and girls from the beach before 8.00am, presumably so men and boys could swim naked.

I think that this was what the bathing machines were about, you could undress in privacy, then the whole contraption would be wheeled into the sea, so that you could get into the water without having to walk past all the oglers!

probably more important after you had swum, wet bathing costumes reveal the figure!