House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BuyingBear

New Car Market Suffering

West European car sales have worst Oct since 1996

New car sales in western Europe fell 2.6 percent last month, the worst October in nine years, as a weak British market outweighed fierce discounting and a wave of new models, according to industry data on Wednesday.

A slowing economy, higher interest rates and rising fuel prices led to a 10.8 drop in sales from a year ago in the UK, the second-biggest European market, while a hauliers strike in Spain delayed deliveries and disrupted production.

Companies including Renault affiliate Nissan Motor Co., which posted a 34 percent drop in European October sales, scaled back sales promotions last month, reducing demand. U.K. consumer confidence fell to a 2 1/2-year low in October and French confidence also dropped, matching July's record low.

``The figures fit into the sluggish economic picture in Europe, and that is definitely true in the U.K. and in France,''

Renault has just issued a warning, high input costs, energy, material costs and falling demand is really impacting. No doubt the bulls will be talking about forced demand in France for new cars as a positive factor :ph34r:

Just like Last time?

The picture is likely to be much bleaker, as the figures normally reflect Registrations rather than Sales.

Personally, I have noticed a lot less "55" registered cars than expected.

Anyone who buys a new car must be mad.

It's obvious to me that there are fewer 55 cars whizzing about.

The belt tightening has been going on for a little over a year in cars, electronics and clothes, I wonder when people will start ditching the restaurants, trendy bars and holidays, which have been immune so far.

It's obvious to me that there are fewer 55 cars whizzing about.

The belt tightening has been going on for a little over a year in cars, electronics and clothes, I wonder when people will start ditching the restaurants, trendy bars and holidays, which have been immune so far.

... and don't forget houses too!!

I guess that will happen last although all of the above will have an impact on jobs first.

i know sales are well down at one large travel company for the past two mounths. The money has been regained by other means... but if things dont improve quickly it could get serious.

Edited by moosetea

I am considering buying the new GTI but I think VW are being stupid by inflating the second hand price and supposedly restricting sales to the UK to only 600 cars a year! Fact is they couldnt shift 400 in a year, hence the high price of the car and the german wages they are paying, VW trying to be exclusive like Porsche... I think not. I'd rather spend £25k on a secondhand porsche boxster or 911 than a new GTI... or even a house deposit ;)

600? Aston Martin produce more cars than that and they're hand built (by machines)! Are you sure that isn't for the new Golf R32 rather than the GTI, earlier in the year they were discounting the GTI and they weren't shifting as expected.

I am considering buying the new GTI but I think VW are being stupid by inflating the second hand price and supposedly restricting sales to the UK to only 600 cars a year! Fact is they couldnt shift 400 in a year, hence the high price of the car and the german wages they are paying, VW trying to be exclusive like Porsche... I think not. I'd rather spend £25k on a secondhand porsche boxster or 911 than a new GTI... or even a house deposit ;)

I have a golf TDI SE, X reg, but had it since it was 1 year old. Economy-wise you get 50-70 depending on how you drive it. Certainly been reliable, servicing is expensive, but now it is out of warranty I save a fortune by using my local independent. Definitely turbo diesel is the way forward until some decent alternative comes along!

I'm renting, money in the bank and without spending any of the stash I'm about to buy a new boxster s (salary cash). It costs a fortune, burns 30mpg (but only if I drive it like miss daisy (unlikely)) and it'll make me look like a hairdresser. But it drives like shit off a shovel, I have driven convertibles ever since I learnt to drive and find it offsets the seriously stressfull job I do for a living. And finally, I believe in peak oil so oportunities are decreasing.

Is it selfish? yes. Is it a waste of money? yes. Will it be 40x more fun to drive than a 13 year old golf gti, no, about 400x more fun.

Overall I don't give a shit. I've worked my tits off for 20 years I might die tomorrow. It's a daily pleasure I can easily afford.

Now convince me I'm wrong by next week and you'll save me 45 grand. go, go, go.

Internet car sales must be hurting main dealers now. I decided to get a new car over the summer and went round a few dealers for test drives and to see what sort of prices I might manage (not the best negociator in the world). Then I came across an article about buying on the internet. I found prices up to 30% off mainstream cars, same car, not an import, choose your spec.

I found the car I wanted (smart forfour) for £10k on the internet, £13.5K in dealers. I bottled in the end and bought one 11 months old from Motorpoint for £6.6k. :rolleyes:

I'm renting, money in the bank and without spending any of the stash I'm about to buy a new boxster s (salary cash). It costs a fortune, burns 30mpg (but only if I drive it like miss daisy (unlikely)) and it'll make me look like a hairdresser. But it drives like shit off a shovel, I have driven convertibles ever since I learnt to drive and find it offsets the seriously stressfull job I do for a living. And finally, I believe in peak oil so oportunities are decreasing.

Is it selfish? yes. Is it a waste of money? yes. Will it be 40x more fun to drive than a 13 year old golf gti, no, about 400x more fun.

Overall I don't give a shit. I've worked my tits off for 20 years I might die tomorrow. It's a daily pleasure I can easily afford.

Now convince me I'm wrong by next week and you'll save me 45 grand. go, go, go.

I am sort of with you here.

Thinking about a 2nd hand Jaguar XK8/XKR for around 15-20 grand. Will probably wait till just after chrimbo, when I may get a better deal.

Sod the expense. I was hoping to be buying a house soon (well, in a couple of years), but with this bl00dy housing market showing no signs of immediate decline (no, I am not expecting huge instant falls, but a slow downward trend would be nice), I need something to cheer me up for potentially a few MORE years of waiting!!

I am still incredibly pi$$ed off with the last LR quaterley report; to go -ve yoy next quarter would require a quaterley fall of around 6% - and I just cannot see it. :(:(

Ho Hum,

CF

You can pick up an early S1 Lotus Elise for £8K these days - assuming you're old enough to insure one they're enormous fun and I often used to get 40MPG out of mine - even more on a long run. You should avoid if you've only ever driven FWD cars though :o

Buckers

I was advised against lotus because of reliability and high repair costs. Do you get any problems with yours?

I was advised against lotus because of reliability and high repair costs. Do you get any problems with yours?

They have the Rover K-Class engine. I drive a Rover 200 which has the K-Class and believe me I've had some

hideous experiences with the engine (head gasket going, then three weeks later the water pipe splitting frying my engine.

Wonder if it has the same design flaw as the Rover 1.4 liter engine in the 214? Apparently some valve in the cooling system gets stuck and then the engine overheats, blows the head gasket and cracks the head.

Wonder if it has the same design flaw as the Rover 1.4 liter engine in the 214? Apparently some valve in the cooling system gets stuck and then the engine overheats, blows the head gasket and cracks the head.

Yes they do.

Always drive a rover/ lotus with one eye on the temperature guage and check the radiator water level every few days. If it is loosing water or the temp guage moves up, even a bit, do not drive it until it is fixed. You can turn a simple water leak repair into a major head gasket repair in minutes, with these engines.

Err is my post invisible? :lol:

Err is my post invisible?

Yours was the one I was replying to: I'd hoped that was obvious without quoting the entire thing. I was wondering whether the 1.8 liter (?) Lotus engine had the same flaw as the 1.4 liter Rover engine.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Lotus managed to kill Jensen back in the 70s by selling defective engines: though at least that was Jensen's fault for not listening when Lotus said 'are you really sure you want to buy these engines when we haven't finished the development testing yet?'

Edited by MarkG

Yours was the one I was replying to: I'd hoped that was obvious without quoting the entire thing. I was wondering whether the 1.8 liter (?) Lotus engine had the same flaw as the 1.4 liter Rover engine.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Lotus managed to kill Jensen back in the 70s by selling defective engines: though at least that was Jensen's fault for not listening when Lotus said 'are you really sure you want to buy these engines when we haven't finished the development testing yet?'

MG Rover forums should have all the answers.

Problems with the K series engines pop up on the non Rover forums I frequent.

Not an engine I'd want.

Is that what it was? My first car, a 214si did excatly that. My uncle said the cyclinder block was alloy and they warp when they get hot. Got a new cylinder head and got nearly 200K miles out of it after that though.

Is that what it was?

According to some discussions on the web, yes. If I remember correctly they said the valve was intended to warm the engine faster when it started up, which was bad news if it got stuck shut, since it prevented proper cooling when the engine was warm... the solution seemed to be to just remove it.

When it happened to mine the garage said that it was a common problem, but they didn't know the cause at the time. Took them a few days to fix mine (mostly waiting for the new cylinder head to arrive because Rover couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with demand!) and they had another one in there with the same problem when I picked it up afterwards.

Edited by MarkG

Is that what it was? My first car, a 214si did excatly that. My uncle said the cyclinder block was alloy and they warp when they get hot. Got a new cylinder head and got nearly 200K miles out of it after that though.

I needed a new engine after 80K - man was I pee'd! Still got the car though, although considering

trading in (for peanuts I guess) for a Alfa Romeo 157 2.0

I made a mental note to keep a count of the number of brand new cars I've seen being driven so far. Currently it's at a grand total of....9

ive noticed one 55 plate so far, who needs new cars anyway, mines recently passed its 23rd year :lol:

the second hand car market isnt doing to well either, a local dealer i know is planning on closing soon, as he said their isnt any money to be made anymore, he's going into private taxi hire instead.

Edited by HenryWeston