House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ungeared

Digital Fuel Pumps

Ok, call me a tight bar steward, but when I add petrol to my car and generally this could be £20, £30 or £40,as I don't trust the card payment system in petrol stations, so always pay with cash. anyway, I have noticed over the last 18 months at the petrol station I usually use (Shell) that it's almost impossible to get the digital pump to stop on the exact figure I want, so, £20.00 always clicks over to £20.01, now you may say so what? but what if it's happening 2 million odd times a day?

My suspicions are raised further by the attendants demanding the payment of that 1p when previously they'd overlook it on many occasions.

I went to another petrol station which has the old analogue pump display and had no trouble whatsoever stopping on the exact amount I wanted, I just wondered if anyone had noticed this happening? If not I'm quite prepared to accept I'm becoming a senile old git :lol:

If it is rife then I may campaign to start a day of under filling, instead of going to say £20.00 fill to £19.99 and demand the penny back :rolleyes:

Yep. I pay by cash too since the day I filled up in Southampton (£70) and proffered my prepaid credit card which had £100 on it. It wouldn't work. I was horrified to discover that I could have been arrested for stealing the fuel. The attendant was sympathetic and gave me a slip to pay later, together with a notice to the effect that taking fuel without the means to pay was an offence.

I was on the way to Heathrow to pick my friend up - she'd just flown in from Australia to visit. On the way home, I called into the petrol station to pay in cash. The attendant told me it was company policy to add £50 to the bill when you pay by card. The amount is reserved on the card but only the fuel cost actually leaves the account. No idea why they do it. Surely they're the criminals. Can anyone elucidate?

Yes, seen same thread on a car forum.

I don't go along with it.

I do.

I am - or was - very good at slowing down to around a penny-a-second about fifteen-pence away from the round-Pound that I wanted the petrol pump to finish at - and accurately stopping the pump bang on that Pound.

But lately, I often find myself going over the extra penny - despite my best efforts not to.

The £ display goes 29.87...29.88...29.89...29.90...29.91...and continues until ...29.97...29.98...29.99...30.01

It is uncanny how many times this has happened to me lately.

Maybe it's the rounding up/down taking place on the conversion from Litres/Pound based on recent prices and the fact they always price petrol to the 0.9 of a pence.

Or maybe it's a wholescale rip-off.

But I'm convinced it's happening to me either way...

XYY

Ok, call me a tight bar steward, but when I add petrol to my car and generally this could be £20, £30 or £40,as I don't trust the card payment system in petrol stations, so always pay with cash. anyway, I have noticed over the last 18 months at the petrol station I usually use (Shell) that it's almost impossible to get the digital pump to stop on the exact figure I want, so, £20.00 always clicks over to £20.01, now you may say so what? but what if it's happening 2 million odd times a day?

My suspicions are raised further by the attendants demanding the payment of that 1p when previously they'd overlook it on many occasions.

I went to another petrol station which has the old analogue pump display and had no trouble whatsoever stopping on the exact amount I wanted, I just wondered if anyone had noticed this happening? If not I'm quite prepared to accept I'm becoming a senile old git :lol:

If it is rife then I may campaign to start a day of under filling, instead of going to say £20.00 fill to £19.99 and demand the penny back :rolleyes:

Yes I've noticed this, near impossible. I suspect it's more a limitation of the analogue technology of the pump being coverted to a digital display panel though but you might be onto something.

Several times in my lifetime I can recall petrol stations - sometimes big chains - being fined for this kind of thing.

You can often put, say £20.00 into your car and the pump settles on £20 but by the time you walk into the station to pay it is £20.01.

I'm sure the Tesco ones I've seen have a "put 20/30/40/50/etc quid exactly" button on the pump, I've never used it though.

In the states most of the pumps are where you pay before and the cashier tells the pump to pump out the amount you have paid. Believe, on my first visit to the US I spent ages at my first pump trying to work things out.

On the other hand, some of the US pumps where you pay afterwards wouldn't dream of charging you the extra penny.

When I worked in a petrol station, the elderly rural customers insisted that the pump was broken, it would never stop on a round figure. Strangely, nobody under 40 had that problem.

And yes, retailing petrol is, for the owner of the petrol station, a high throughput, low profit activity. When they're only making 2-3p per litre, they'll want to be paid for every penny each customer took.

The north america pre-paid ones are the way forward, IMO. You pay for $20,30,50, and that's the exact amount dispensed.

I'm guessing this was a Shell petrol station?

The same thought had occured to me. It's a recent thing. Been buying the same diesel, to the pound, at the same places for years now.

The north america pre-paid ones are the way forward, IMO. You pay for $20,30,50, and that's the exact amount dispensed.

But how does that work if I want to brim my tank?

I'm sure the Tesco ones I've seen have a "put 20/30/40/50/etc quid exactly" button on the pump, I've never used it though.

In third world countries like Greece, they still have pump attendants and they are able to automatically meter X euros, however much you want. Pump handle has a catch so you don't have to hold it either, unlike pumps here.

You know the answer.

pay to 49p BELOW your cash price...get the max change you can

snip

Except they ALWAYS underfill.

I've done this, paid for 10 litres, filled a jerrycan, and it is always less than 10 litres.

Yes, I am a tight tosser

I'm guessing this was a Shell petrol station?

The same thought had occured to me. It's a recent thing. Been buying the same diesel, to the pound, at the same places for years now.

Shell outside SE England still have penny dishes for OPs problem. Not a problem.

Guest eight

I've done this, paid for 10 litres, filled a jerrycan, and it is always less than 10 litres.

Yes, I am a tight tosser

You would like our car. To get the nozzle in you have to point it almost vertically downwards. Invariably quite a dribble comes out of the nozzle before it even starts dispensing. If I was prepared to push it around the forecourt I reckon I could run it for free.

Yes, I am a tight tosser

not a tight tosser...better your money remains in your pocket where it rightfully should be, its up to you to spend it, not have some machine steal it from you.

You would like our car. To get the nozzle in you have to point it almost vertically downwards. Invariably quite a dribble comes out of the nozzle before it even starts dispensing. If I was prepared to push it around the forecourt I reckon I could run it for free.

In my 'old country' where you pre-pay I always wondered why trademen would buy stolen diesel at the side of the road from HGV drivers. It was because they would know how much they were getting, unlike in a petrol station.

I alway round up to the litre rather than the £. I also hold the hose up higher than the nozzle to get as much out as possible.

In third world countries like Greece, they still have pump attendants and they are able to automatically meter X euros, however much you want. Pump handle has a catch so you don't have to hold it either, unlike pumps here.

Yes, same in the States.

In fact you can see the catches on the pump handles here but they have been removed. Probably some sort of safety issue.

Yes, same in the States.

In fact you can see the catches on the pump handles here but they have been removed. Probably some sort of safety issue.

'Elf and safety gone mad, no doubt.

Gone are the days when you didn't fill your own tank, there were helpful assistants employed to do it for you, they washed your windscreen and checked your oil also if you wanted......if you asked for £3 of petrol and it came to £3.02 they waved the 2p....then waved you on your way. ;)