House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

Nfc Debit Cards

I`ve just been in the local LIDL where the woman in front of me had her Debit card declined three times at the till, I assume because of an incorrect PIN. The Manager came over and just waved the card at the reader and the payment, being less than £20, went through.

Anyone spot the flaw in this system?

I`ve just been in the local LIDL where the woman in front of me had her Debit card declined three times at the till, I assume because of an incorrect PIN. The Manager came over and just waved the card at the reader and the payment, being less than £20, went through.

It requires your shopping to be broken down into £20 increments when you forget your pin.

It requires your shopping to be broken down into £20 increments when you forget your pin.

Also the three failed attempts cause delays for other shoppers.

Just a guess, but I'd have thought that if the reason the card didn't work was indeed incorrect PIN - and the account has funds - and there's no fraud - then LIDL will get paid.

If however the bank deems so, they will not, because the PIN entry creates a "liability shift" away from the retailer by authenticating the customer and without it, the bank's computer can say no later on and LIDL lose the money.

Maybe it was an odd day - I went into the Co-Op and spent about £12, put the card in to one of those reader things facing the customer, put the PIN in, it thought about it for absolutely ages and then came up "swipe card". The retailer and I both stared at it. "Never had that one before". Swiped the card and the terminal reset itself. Tried again and it worked fine. Now I wonder if I'e paid twice :(

The bank ******ed my pin up so it didn't work. They told me I could go and ask for the card to be swiped instead.

I didn't cos it just sounds really dodgy to go shopping and ask for it to be done on signature.

I used to work in a place which took payments over the phone and, at busy times, could set a limit under which payments would not require the initial authorisation stage of the transaction. I always assumed this would then shift the liability to the company that the funds were in fact present when the bank file was processed that evening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

I notice this in Home Bargains a lot when buying things for lower amounts, the payment will go through instantly when they PIN is entered rather than wait a few seconds for reply.

It could be that in this instance the PIN transaction had a zero limit, meaning everything had to be authorised and she was declined, but the contactless had a limit set of say £20, meaning it didn't get the auth and proceeded.

I could be over-complicating things though and she used the wrong PIN.

I think the point the OP is making is about NFC - contactless payments.

A payment is deducted, without the cardholder's PIN, just by having the card near an NFC terminal.

Of course, if the payment has been taken fraudulently, then it is traceable, with an audit trail, but in practice the unwilling payer has to fight to get their money back, and maybe prove the transaction was not intended.

I was pretty incredulous through the whole transaction but I almost burst out laughing when the, somewhat skanky looking, customer asked the cashier for a cashback so she could "Pay her in cash".

Why do I always pick the checkout with these people?