House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Raf Reduced To Hedge Cutting?

Whoo... that was wayyyy too low.

Time to cue my old favourite:

All things considered, I think he handled that pretty well.

Am tempted to paste a clip from Catch-22 however good taste decrees otherwise (but a YT search for 'Catch 22 Splatter' would deliver the goods)

Applying a bit of maths & perspective guesstimation, I would say the red/white barrier is about 6 feet high (excluding the grass on top) and the pilot misses it by 2-3 fteet at the most. That is about 2-3ft above the heads of the people walking by the barrier.

The plane seems to suddenly jink downwards on final approach. Downdraught, perhaps? Or perhaps the pilot wanted to spook the spectators and overdid it.

The people like the man in the red shirt are missed by about 10-12 feet, and only that much because they are standing in a dip slightly lower than the road.

I base this assuming that the camera is held by someone about 6 feet high, standing at road level, with their camera at eye level of about 5.5 feet, who ducks as the plane crosses the road.

That was very nearly an accident that would have at least written of the aircraft, had it's undercarriage hit the barrier, forcing it to land with damaged undercarriage, and would have probably killed anyone in the wrong spot by the barrier. The pilot would not have had time to react and abort the landing by that point; the plane would have landed with at least one wheel missing.

My guess is that there is an RAF pilot somewhere getting a severe b*ll*cking.

I'm sure there's a gag about a duck and crossing the road that I have heard somewhere before...

Applying a bit of maths & perspective guesstimation, I would say the red/white barrier is about 6 feet high (excluding the grass on top) and the pilot misses it by 2-3 fteet at the most. That is about 2-3ft above the heads of the people walking by the barrier.

The plane seems to suddenly jink downwards on final approach. Downdraught, perhaps? Or perhaps the pilot wanted to spook the spectators and overdid it.

The people like the man in the red shirt are missed by about 10-12 feet, and only that much because they are standing in a dip slightly lower than the road.

I base this assuming that the camera is held by someone about 6 feet high, standing at road level, with their camera at eye level of about 5.5 feet, who ducks as the plane crosses the road.

That was very nearly an accident that would have at least written of the aircraft, had it's undercarriage hit the barrier, forcing it to land with damaged undercarriage, and would have probably killed anyone in the wrong spot by the barrier. The pilot would not have had time to react and abort the landing by that point; the plane would have landed with at least one wheel missing.

My guess is that there is an RAF pilot somewhere getting a severe b*ll*cking.

I'm sure there's a gag about a duck and crossing the road that I have heard somewhere before...

Yep. Very lucky not to lose the landing gear and the aircraft IMPO. I doubt we will ever see a closer near-miss of that red & white barrier at that airport.

Yep. Very lucky not to lose the landing gear and the aircraft IMPO. I doubt we will ever see a closer near-miss of that red & white barrier at that airport.

probably not as low as you think....the typhoon is much bigger than it looks....still scary for the spectators...I expect they will be banned now in the interests of elf and Safety.

The problem with a downdraft in that position is if the power is off....spool up on a jet would have meant poor correction or maybe even a late stall on arrival over the runway.

Whilst visiting a local airfield where Phantoms were in service, they had a guy in a hut that would be waving pilots off if he thought there was a problem, like, no gear down....I wonder if they still have these guys?

Whoo... that was wayyyy too low.

Time to cue my old favourite:

I'll see your near miss, and raise you a hit! One of my old favourites.... it's ok, he survives!

I'll see your near miss, and raise you a hit! One of my old favourites.... it's ok, he survives!

I've been looking for that clip for ages. I remember it, it was in the summer of 1976, they were practicing some stunt throwing flour bombs, I think. The reporter was concussed but OK.

Left a big dent in the leading edge of the plane too.

I think the perspective makes that look lower than it is.

I allowed for that as best I can. The spotters appear to place themselves directly underneath the plane.

As for me misjudging th size of the plane, that had nothing to do with my estimations, which were based on the gap between the plane and the ground, and comparing to a man's height in the pic.

I've studied art as well as being an engineer, and worked in the TV broadcast industry. I understand perspective, geometry, vanishing points, horizons, eyelines, lenses, and stuff. I still think that plane was far far too low. The plane could easily have clipped the barrier.

I allowed for that as best I can. The spotters appear to place themselves directly underneath the plane.

As for me misjudging th size of the plane, that had nothing to do with my estimations, which were based on the gap between the plane and the ground, and comparing to a man's height in the pic.

I've studied art as well as being an engineer, and worked in the TV broadcast industry. I understand perspective, geometry, vanishing points, horizons, eyelines, lenses, and stuff. I still think that plane was far far too low. The plane could easily have clipped the barrier.

In the BBC picture, the camera appears to be lower than the fence, the plane is at least 100m beyond it, and you can see virtually all the landing gear wheels.....and the plane landed normally....suggests it was either climbing after the fence or it was indeed higher than it looked at the fence.

Not saying it wasnt low though, compared to other landings, but as any pilot would say, any landing is a good one.

In the BBC picture, the camera appears to be lower than the fence, the plane is at least 100m beyond it, and you can see virtually all the landing gear wheels.....and the plane landed normally....suggests it was either climbing after the fence or it was indeed higher than it looked at the fence.

Not saying it wasnt low though, compared to other landings, but as any pilot would say, any landing is a good one.

There is one pic on the BBC site of the plane as it actually passes over the barrier. There are people standing next to it, and the barrier appears from that to be about 6 feet high.

Assuming the photographer is 6 feet high, people normally hold cameras at eye level (camera phones, perhaps, a little lower), say 5'6". The photographer was also ducking at this point (as is apparent from the video), so the horizon may correspond to a height of only 4'6" or so..

If the fence is 6 feet high, I would say the plane's wheels were 5 feet above it. A bit better than my original estimate of 2-3 feet, but still way too low.

If you watch the video, note how the plane jinks downwards on it's final approach. i wonder if the pilot did that to scare the spectators, and misjudged it, almost catastrophically.

There is one pic on the BBC site of the plane as it actually passes over the barrier. There are people standing next to it, and the barrier appears from that to be about 6 feet high.

Assuming the photographer is 6 feet high, people normally hold cameras at eye level (camera phones, perhaps, a little lower), say 5'6". The photographer was also ducking at this point (as is apparent from the video), so the horizon may correspond to a height of only 4'6" or so..

If the fence is 6 feet high, I would say the plane's wheels were 5 feet above it. A bit better than my original estimate of 2-3 feet, but still way too low.

If you watch the video, note how the plane jinks downwards on it's final approach. i wonder if the pilot did that to scare the spectators, and misjudged it, almost catastrophically.

that jink happened to me on approach once...I didnt have the luxury of the glide slope lights and TBH, it was so subtle I didnt notice it till I was what felt like 10 feet above ground, way to early....more power and i was up again...but you cant do that in a jet...I have an idea they approach too fast just in case the same thing happens, but the glide slopelights would tell the pilot he was too low.