House Price Crash Forum
@contradevian

We Pay Your Benefits

On BBC1 now with the two out of The Apprentice.

"She's a striver."

"Oh you've got a Macbook Pro"

"Oh you got a big TV."

"I Pay taxes and get nothing"

On now.

Edited by Secure Tenant

Can't watch anymore of this. Arguing over a chicken,

Striver "I'd put that back and get fillets" moron.

Yeah, I am on the side of the darts playing lass with the whole chicken - far better value than buying sodding chicken fillets - so long as you make it last the week and do soup.

The moron with the iPhone needs his family to do him a favour and make him pay for his own stuff.

"I am desperate for a job but desperate is the wrong word"

Classic quote.

Some good points being made, and some want a boot up the backside, but can you imagine a show called "We Pay Your Pensions" or "We Pay Your BTL mortgages?"

"we've got two joint incomes" well in a world where work is scarce that results in an unemployed household.

Edited by Secure Tenant

Some good points being made, and some want a boot up the backside, but can you imagine a show called "We Pay Your Pensions" or "We Pay Your BTL mortgages?"

"we've got two joint incomes" well in a world where work is scarce that results in an unemployed household.

Now that is one I would love to see.

Quite a sad programme really, one boy with a 2:1 in Media Studies expecting to walk into a great job - he has obviously not yet realised how badly his generation have been stitched up - taking on debt to get degrees which simply are not much use for anything.

filmed in Ipswich, where i'm living at the moment, wonder if the immigration card will be played in the future episodes.

Edited by motch

I think it was Durham born who said that the system is dividing the population, setting us against each other, looking for scapegoats, instead of any government taking full reponsibilty and changing this broken system.

This program was a clear example of that.

I think it was Durham born who said that the system is dividing the population, setting us against each other, looking for scapegoats, instead of any government taking full reponsibilty and changing this broken system.

I think this is what's happening. The One Percent are demonizing benefit claimants in the eyes of the Middle Classes while they themselves carry out scams and avoid paying taxes.

Edited by Eddie_George

On average, n family of four needs a household income of £60k to be a net contributor.

There are a lot of people that are claiming tax credits, working, and railing against people 'living off the state'. It's a laughable case of divide and rule.

Until living costs, especially housing, tumble and working people see more of the wealth they produce the State will continue to provide else face revolution.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

I think this is what's happening. The One Percent are demonizing benefit claimants in the eyes of the Middle Classes while they themselves carry out scams and avoid paying taxes.

....they wouldn't be looking for a job if there was a job out there that they could do, a job an employer thought they were worth the money they would pay them, enough money to cover basic living costs RENT and FOOD and ENERGY bills......

There are people out there, and there always will be who are not skilled enough or able enough to do most jobs even if the jobs were available to do which they are not......looking after children is a worthwhile and rewarding job that will pay dividends if done in the right way.....there are also lazy shirkers that are happy to take whatever is given also, because they have always been allowed to do so, but there is still not a job for them, what employer would pay good money for a person without work ethics, who may turn up late or get sick because they can't take the stress they are not used to, what sort of message would that give to the regular workers in the firm if they took one on?

I would say to the strivers, the hard workers that want to make more of their lives, to do that takes years of hard work to build up recognition and respect, would they swap places, minds, attitude and mentality with these dependant people who will be stuck for life with few choices knowing they are fully reliant on what they are given by others....... I doubt it very much. ;)

I watched it and thought the opposite. In the first half it looked to be heading in that direction but the second half 'revealed' the claimants perspectives and in many cases their allotted tax payer investigator was confronted with adjusting their initial assumptions.

For example one chap said the sight of the widescreen tv and xbox etc was a bad sign, the claimant replied they purchased those before whilst in employment and wouldn't dream of spending benefit income on such items. Some were taking the piss a bit and were correctly and fairly identified as such.

If there was an agenda behind the show it seemed to me to be trying to impart a message of understanding of a claimants situation. Which in itself is interesting I think. If you believe in such conspiracies or agendas it would be reasonable to assume those setting that agenda are attempting to prevent ill feeling amongst the population since this dependency on the state for a large proportion of the population is set to continue.

Edited by cybernoid

I don't think so. I know people who are pro /semi pro single mums and live in housing I cannot afford, which is why I want the system changed.

Of course I want chief executives to be paid less but in reality even if they were I still would not be afford their housing. Of course if the single mums were made to share flats in the west end of Newcastle as opposed to be giving flats in Camden then I would have more affordable housing for me!

Same with sickness benefits, I used to know someone on the sick who spent 6 weeks doing charity work in Romania every year.

.looking after children is a worthwhile and rewarding job that will pay dividends if done in the right way

There are lots of people who do it for £20 per week, why pay more to others? Don't tell me it is because otherwise we will need immigrants because some pro single mums I know are immigrants!

Watching this make me think benefit should be based on how long you had a job before.

if had job paid taxes for long time then you should get something back a treated better. after all it is called 'national' insurance.

I

f you have not paid in then get half the minimum wage 'no other benefit' have to go to job centre every morning for 8am.

I also think it should be simple. if you get paid the minimum wage you get to keep all of it.

as for that numpty who went to uni. when I finished uni I worked on fairground for year before I found job with career prospects.

For me the real issue that these programmes seem to avoid is how far wages have fallen and how this is unsustainable in a high cost economy. For many people benefits are extremely low and we have workers commenting that they 'wish they could afford what they have'. The fact that people might have been in work at some point and paid for the things they have or received them as gifts always comes as an afterthought. By then the damage is done. It's a bit like how they started calling people 'terrorist suspects' instead of 'people suspected of terrorism', almost as though a suspect was a dirty word in itself. It is a subtle thing, but the mind values first impressions very highly and I can't help but feel we are being conditioned...

It the type of petty jealousy, stoking of prejudices and setting workers vs benefits claimants mentioned above that I don't like and the mentality that because you are suffering (perhaps out of your own bad choices) that those on benefits must suffer too for no reason other than the fact that they are benefits claimants. Many may dismiss that last line, but the undertone is there in these kinds of programmes. They are inviting you to share your prejudice and 'have an opinion' even though many admit they are ignorant. The spotlight is on benefits claimants. Will they use this as an opportunity to reform the system for the better or use prejudice as a cover for well and truly screwing people up so badly they have to rely on charities?

I was thinking last night, if I was unemployed and was on this show, some "taxpayer" would come round and go "oh you've got a 37" TV, and computers, a dishwasher and gadgets and stuff"

yes I have thanks very much. Now feck off.

Fact of the matter is if you eliminated unemployment that would save £5BN, so then you still have £70BN in pensions and £25BN in housing benefit.

Then the other £120Bn + being thrown at support land bankers/hoarders and house speculators.

Good luck with all that.

Edited by Secure Tenant

"BBC" and "embarrassing" - what a surprise, when will Joe Public realise it is broadcasting at its worst and would make Jimmy Saville look like a trusted baby sitter. Oh I forgot, its like the NHS and Education - only flirting with reality, never visiting.