House Price Crash Forum
durhamborn

Universal Credit New Thread.complete Disaster.

10 hours ago, sideysid said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/it-wasnt-planned-very-wanted-12480380

Read this story today, what a crock of shit. So basically because people are only just now ‘discovering’ about the two child limit, it’s apparently causing abortions and child poverty. Despite the fact that Tax/Universal credits and benefits for two children equates to a £35k salary. There are lots of working financially sensible people would love a child but aren’t in position/not able to.

It makes things even worse when the religious organisations are putting in their oars too for the restriction to be scrapped. It’s one of the only positive regulations that has been implemented so far.

Comments are interesting

'You say no desire to work, yet the amount of claimants is lower than ever according to the Tories and only account for 1-2% of the DWP budget.

So, something is amiss with your assumption.   Right wingers like to pretend there is a vast mass of the great unwashed claiming benefits, but the facts don't add up, the statistics speak for themselves.  '

I can never work out if these people are being deliberately dumb or are just plain dumb.

JSA/dole != working age benefits.

Working age benefits, of which JSA is a small part, are swallowing up the government budget.

Chuck in working age disability and the spend and number of of people scamming it are fuxing huge.

'Sally’s story bears that out. She and her partner already have two children; boys aged 4 and 5. She’s currently receiving Universal Credit after being found fit for work following 12 years on employment and support allowance as she suffers from PTSD.

I don't live with my partner as we can't afford to,” she explains. “[The pregnancy] wasn't planned as such but it wasn't avoided.'

Ah yes, partner but not partner. Maye we are being too hard on the woman. After all she must have served years in the SAS to be suffering from PTSD. Its nothing youd pick up on the tills at Tesco is it ....

So, lets put some ages in this. 12 years off on the sick. Lets assume she learned the scam mid 20s. That would make her and parter ~late 30s.

So, youve got a woman whos spent t6he majority of her adult life on benefits.

Then the partner who, at the age of late 30s, is finally considering what e do, workwise, to support his fuxing kids.

Fux em.

The need for a contribution, time based benefit system is huge. We should have never gone the needs based route.

In desperation, they even discussed whether her partner should earn money in less legitimate ways. “He was ready to turn back to crime to support us,” admitted Sally. “But I said if he is in jail how can I cope alone with 3 kids and no money?”

I particularly like that bit. Because crime is preferable to getting a job.

I just hope that the child limit is never scrapped going forwards once the momentum of benefit persecution stories fills the papers and media (loose women etc), rather than encouraging the likes of these to people to not to breed any further.

10 hours ago, sideysid said:

I just hope that the child limit is never scrapped going forwards once the momentum of benefit persecution stories fills the papers and media (loose women etc), rather than encouraging the likes of these to people to not to breed any further.

I'm worried it'll quickly become a Corbin pledge to be scrapped if he's elected. Like @sideysid said, it's pretty much the only reform that's been implemented to Tax Credits since 2010.

On 05/05/2018 at 22:31, durhamborn said:

Its got it all.She doesnt live with partner as they "cant afford to".She was on the sick for 12 years with some made up dodgy  illness but is now found as fit for work.He doesnt work but is training to be a personal trainer.In other words he spends most of the time at the gym.So far she will of had about a third of a million in benefits,and another £150k before the two children are 18,but she wants more.

Iv been in that situation many years ago,i worked in a factory and did all the overtime i could get.I didnt expect someone else to do it while i went to the gym.

Many of us have been in your position. I spent 25 years working full time with hardly ever a sick day working long hours making someone else rich. Then you see that you are hardly any better off than someone working 16hrs doing nails.

Almost a decade ago my world collasped. I see things very differently now and value time, family and health over everything else.

Given time it will have to end. First world countries are being dragged down by globalisation. It's great that the poor get richer, but here in the UK its the wealthy that get richer and the rest of us get poorer. There will come a time when the UK just can't support it anymore. These people will get a shock when they have to work for a living and I mean proper work, think Chinese factory type work.

If I didn't have children then I'm old enough to not give a toss, but I do have children and I really worry what life will be like for them.

The country needs more children, to enslave into its taxation system... They will continue to squeeze the benefits system to force them back into work. 🤣  

Britains benefit crisis.

Jesus. Not a single person claiming disability shows any form of disability. Drpression, breathlessness, vague unspecified stuff.

Scrap UC. Offer a system that is based on 2 years contribution, then goes after 6 months.

Put a 10y max lifetime claim.

25 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Britains benefit crisis.

Jesus. Not a single person claiming disability shows any form of disability. Drpression, breathlessness, vague unspecified stuff.

Scrap UC. Offer a system that is based on 2 years contribution, then goes after 6 months.

Iatrogenic illness is rife though.

http://ssristories.net/archive/indexb6a1.html?sort=date&p=

John Nash got off all meds in 1970 and never took any since.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Britains benefit crisis.

Well keep UC, but make it contribution-based and keep the lifetime claim. 

I take it you are referring to today's "Dispatches" on Channel 4:

Channel 4 Dispatches: The government announced plans to improve the Universal Credit system last autumn. Have the changes made a difference to the lives of people who rely on claim the benefit?

On 07/05/2018 at 20:27, spyguy said:

Id doubt these people are on meds. Or actually depressed. 

Depression and anxiety are the post industrial economies bad back. 

All of the archived stories are about people who were taking medication. Depression and anxiety have always existed, psychiatry makes it worse.

On 07/05/2018 at 20:27, spyguy said:

Depression and anxiety are the post industrial economies bad back.

To be fair depression is a serious business, when it's real I mean. I had a few years of it then it went away by itself. Can't imagine living with it your whole life.

Now I'm not depressed I'm just anxious, and get more anxious every time I look at the interest I'm getting on my savings.

7 hours ago, Funn3r said:

To be fair depression is a serious business, when it's real I mean. I had a few years of it then it went away by itself. Can't imagine living with it your whole life.

Now I'm not depressed I'm just anxious, and get more anxious every time I look at the interest I'm getting on my savings.

Equallly genuine back pain is a really soul destroying conidtion.

But ......

People are just flocking to pick the hard to diagnose scams to get on the DLA scam.

On 04/03/2018 at 11:28, spyguy said:

How does a single mum have an unexpected 3rd child?

It would suggest shes not single.

By 2022 7m household exprcted to be on UC.

Maybe someone needs to explain why alomst half of working age household needs benefits?

+100

On 04/03/2018 at 17:43, durhamborn said:

Single people.No tax credit claims have been moved over yet as far as i know.UC is more generous than tax credits for couples,slightly less generous for single parents.Where it is tighter is they expect you to work 35 hours,but you can claim with 1 hour.Question is will they ever force people onto job search etc who are working 16 hours?.

I am pretty sure that in London, families with children will have to claim UC instead of tax credits (if it is a new claim) from September/October (read it somewhere recently).

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

But ......

People are just flocking to pick the hard to diagnose scams to get on the DLA scam.

Can people really get PIP for such things anymore? Surely it is hard enough to get PIP for a bad back, let alone something as abstract as depression? The problem is that depression, anxiety and the other mental health problems can be crippling. The reason why there is so much cynicism of people claiming is that for many years under nuLabour, benefits were given out like sweeties with no checks and with a lifetime award. What has happened is the genuinely in need don't get what they need and those that are just playing the system know what buttons to press.

5 hours ago, spyguy said:

But ......

Indeed. Was sceptical of those claiming to have 'bad backs', but for the past 5 years I have been having issues with mine with no injury as such (chronic and constant shooting/burning pains in lower back and down leg, but I work, and have not claimed and have never claimed benefits) I'm more careful about how I treat others. The problem is that there's no test as such to quantify the pain and its relation to how much you can/can't do. It also fluctuates so you just know that people are making judgments about you by just seeing you on a better day. Tbh some days you wish you'd just have a limb broken because at least it would heal rather than live with the constant, energy draining pain.

2 hours ago, fru-gal said:

Can people really get PIP for such things anymore? Surely it is hard enough to get PIP for a bad back, let alone something as abstract as depression? The problem is that depression, anxiety and the other mental health problems can be crippling. The reason why there is so much cynicism of people claiming is that for many years under nuLabour, benefits were given out like sweeties with no checks and with a lifetime award. What has happened is the genuinely in need don't get what they need and those that are just playing the system know what buttons to press.

There's huge differences between the Ne and the SE, and hige differences between the UK and the rest of Europe.

Its all down to DLA being a magic benefit token.

Theyve cracked down on new claimiant,s probbaly too hard.

But that particular horse is running around the fields - or driving its blue badge motability to the seaside.

24 minutes ago, Jeremy424 said:

Indeed. Was sceptical of those claiming to have 'bad backs', but for the past 5 years I have been having issues with mine with no injury as such (chronic and constant shooting/burning pains in lower back and down leg, but I work, and have not claimed and have never claimed benefits) I'm more careful about how I treat others. The problem is that there's no test as such to quantify the pain and its relation to how much you can/can't do. It also fluctuates so you just know that people are making judgments about you by just seeing you on a better day. Tbh some days you wish you'd just have a limb broken because at least it would heal rather than live with the constant, energy draining pain.

Try reading John Sarno's "Healing Back Pain". It worked for me.

22 minutes ago, spyguy said:

There's huge differences between the Ne and the SE, and hige differences between the UK and the rest of Europe.

Its all down to DLA being a magic benefit token.

Theyve cracked down on new claimiant,s probbaly too hard.

But that particular horse is running around the fields - or driving its blue badge motability to the seaside.

DLA claimants also now have to go through the whole PIP migration process and interview. No more sending off a form and getting a million year award with no checks ever.

11 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

DLA claimants also now have to go through the whole PIP migration process and interview. No more sending off a form and getting a million year award with no checks ever.

Maybe the solution to DLA is to make it dependent on earnings - say pay out at 30% of average of last 10 years earnings.

If you are on benefits then they dont change.

Universal credit savaged by public spending watchdog

NAO says core claims about flagship welfare programme are based on unproven assumptions

The government’s ambitious change to the benefits system, universal credit, fails to deliver promised financial savings or employment benefits and leaves thousands of vulnerable claimants in hardship, according to the public spending watchdog.

The National Audit Office effectively demolishes ministerial claims for universal credit, concluding that the much-delayed flagship welfare programme may end up costing more than the benefit system it replaces, cannot prove it helps more claimants into work and is unlikely to ever deliver value for money.

The NAO report paints a damning picture of a system that despite more than £1bn in investment, eight years in development and a much hyped digital-only approach to transforming welfare, is still in many respects unwieldy, inefficient and reliant on basic, manual processes.

It’s official: universal credit is a colossal, costly, hellish catastrophe Polly Toynbee - Polly Toynbee

The catastrophe of Iain Duncan Smith’s universal credit is laid out on the mortuary slab by the National Audit Office (NAO), the public spending watchdog. At phenomenal cost to the taxpayer, David Cameron and George Osborne backed this pointless upheaval that has inflicted untold suffering on claimants and yet achieves nothing measurable, says the national auditor’s autopsy report. It’s a breathtaking read.

------------------------

Rollout should have finished last year – but after eight years of failures, each greeted with hubris and denial by Duncan Smith and his department, universal credit still covers just 10% of claimants. Warnings came over and over that many would not cope with hideously complex online claim forms: sure enough the NAO says 43% have needed help – with no recompense for councils and charities struggling to provide it.

On top of that, the slashing of working benefit rates ensured universal credit makes people worse off. For every extra pound people earn, they lose 63p in working credits.