House Price Crash Forum

Universal Credit New Thread.complete Disaster.

HOLA441
6 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

How much do I earn before they take any, and how much before I get none? Is there not a graph?

There will be,but in basic terms for someone with two (or more as two is the max) children and no rent costs (owned outright or mortgage etc) you are allowed £398 a month earnings and everything after that is means tested at 65%.A single mother with two children would see UC payments end at about £1578 net earnings a month.A couple at about £1880 net earnings a month.So still generous.

Edited by durhamborn

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
On 11 November 2016 at 2:53 PM, durhamborn said:

Exactly,keep us informed of her progress,if we can call it that.Interesting to hear from someone at the coal face of this disaster.

Last I heard they've basically given up, she's being put onto the old style JSA instead.  She has a whole bunch more forms to fill out. 

Not backdated... naturally.  It's being  treated as a brand new claim, with UC being discreetly forgotten.

HOLA445

Interesting to see if the government hold firm on the cuts to UC or if they cave in.The benefit cap is in now so for anyone not working at least 16 hours or getting DLA/PIP the maximum amounts of housing benefit/Local Housing Allowance are below.(outside London)

The lone parent with 3 children will get £91.96 in HB (£62.91 if on ESA)
The couple with 3 children will get £50.21 in HB (£21.16 if on ESA)
The lone parent with 4 children will get £24.95 pw in HB (£0.50 if on ESA)
The couple with 4 children will get £0.50 per week in HB as will larger households

If they hold the cap without any inflation increases going forward it seems to be quite a big cut in HB for families who like to have lots of children.

HOLA446
54 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

Interesting to see if the government hold firm on the cuts to UC or if they cave in.The benefit cap is in now so for anyone not working at least 16 hours or getting DLA/PIP the maximum amounts of housing benefit/Local Housing Allowance are below.(outside London)

The lone parent with 3 children will get £91.96 in HB (£62.91 if on ESA)
The couple with 3 children will get £50.21 in HB (£21.16 if on ESA)
The lone parent with 4 children will get £24.95 pw in HB (£0.50 if on ESA)
The couple with 4 children will get £0.50 per week in HB as will larger households

If they hold the cap without any inflation increases going forward it seems to be quite a big cut in HB for families who like to have lots of children.

So how does that work if the tenant gets 2 months in rent arrears and the LL asks to have the HB paid direct? How much will they get? Or can LL not ask anymore? 

HOLA447
4 hours ago, SarahBell said:

So how does that work if the tenant gets 2 months in rent arrears and the LL asks to have the HB paid direct? How much will they get? Or can LL not ask anymore? 

They would only pay the maximum as above,the welfare cap is against housing benefit/LHA,so it would be up to the landlord to get the rest from the tenant or evict.

HOLA448

One thing that puzzles me is why benefits don't move to being awarded to individuals rather than families. It makes it difficult to assess benefits for working families and creates perverse incentives particularly exciting mothers to chuck the bloke and claim as a single mum.

Moving to a benefits per person system would be a first step towards a citizens income.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

BBC article on JAMs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38051748

Strange that. The people struggling are those who are working full-time rather than doing 16h pretend work for their tax credits.

Gordon Brown, what have you done? you stupid tnuc.

Yep, the mistake those people in the article make is working full time and trying to pay their way.  Fools I tell ye, fools.  They need to become nail technicians or gardners on 16 hours a week then milk the system to infinity and beyond 

• 2 months later...
HOLA4412

https://ukcampaign4change.com/2017/02/09/whitehalls-outsourcing-of-it-a-bad-mistake-and-other-universal-credit-lessons-by-ex-dwp-minister/

“The implementation was harder than I had expected. Maybe that was my own naivety. What I didn’t know, and I don’t think anyone knew, was how bad a mistake it had been for all of government to have sent out their IT.

“It happened in the 1990s and early 2000s. You went to these big firms to build your IT. I think that was a most fundamental mistake, right across government and probably across government in the western world…

We talk about IT as something separate but it isn’t. It is part of your operating system. It’s a tool within a much better system. If you get rid of it, and lose control of it, you don’t know how to build these systems.

“So we had an IT department but it was actually an IT commissioning department. It didn’t know how to do the IT.

“What we actually discovered through the (UC) process was that you had to bring the IT back on board. The department has been rebuilding itself in order to do that. That is a massive job.”

But didn’t DWP civil servants make it clear at the outset that there wasn’t the in-house capability to build Universal Credit?

“The civil service thought it had the capacity because it could commission the big firms – the HPs and the IBMs – to do it. They did not see the problem, and government as a whole did not see the problem of doing it.

” It’s only when you get into building something big you discover what a problem that was.

“That’s the most important lesson, but it’s no longer a lesson for the DWP which has learned it …”'

To be honest, same goes for private companies too these days. Your software  systems + processes are not like your cleaners or caterers. IThey are not an add-on/non-core task; they *ARE* your company.

Your

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The documentary examining the lives of individuals on the dole in the UK follows the stories of Roma people who moved to the UK and are now surviving on payments from the welfare state. Ion is from Romania and wants to make £40,000 from benefits to help him build a new house for his family back in his home village, while Katarina arrived from Slovakia seven years ago and has 11 children and 11 grandchildren living in and around an estate in Rotherham, South Yorkshire. Nottingham resident Viorel is 25 and lost both legs in an accident in his native Romania when he was seven, and now wants to pursue a career in the movies

OBenefits Britain on ch5. I have never watched this show but it seems to be reported as finding a way to the into the work benefits / getting a NI number and then sending money home. Then bringing in more family members to claim. Fair play to the people in the film. Was this Gordon BRown's legacy ?

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4416
21 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

OBenefits Britain on ch5. I have never watched this show but it seems to be reported as finding a way to the into the work benefits / getting a NI number and then sending money home. Then bringing in more family members to claim. Fair play to the people in the film. Was this Gordon BRown's legacy ?

Suddenly the British welfare state needs not only to be big enough for Britain, but big enough for the EU... does no one see that is impossible? Scratch that.. 51 % do .. why don't the other 49%?

HOLA4417
21 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

Most of that stnuc legacies involve him giving lots of UK tax payer money to other people.

HOLA4418

Here's spys scheme:

5 years NI contribution required.

If you lose jump then you get 30% of your take home for 12 months.

Falling to 38 x NMW for the next 12 months.

Followed by workfare.

10 years max claim until 65.

40 years NI paid to qualify for state pension.

Any migrant paid 40 years NI can retire on UK pension.

Any migrant not paid 40 NI goes home.

I canot beleive various IKGOVs have p1ssed around, spending billions for stuff that does not work.

HOLA4419
On 2/25/2017 at 3:13 PM, Ash4781 said:

The only good thing to come from this is that it is one of the main reasons the two child limit has been added into tax credits/universal credit from this April.That will kill a huge part of the problem within welfare.

The other big problem is the one Spy mentions.Hours needed to qualify.UC takes it down to 1 hour needed.I think thats a good idea,but only for a short period.Only 1 hour needed for first 6 months of univeral credit claim.Next 6 months 16 hours,then 30.To go back to 1 hour you need a twelve month break in claiming.

If Osborne had kept his nerve on the lower allowed earnings level before means testing kicked in tax credits would be 80% solved.By him not doing so means they are not.Without changing that again the only way open is freezing them as inflation eats away.

Universal credit kept the cuts,so if they can ever get it in for families  benefits would end (apart from HB) at about £25k for a family with two or more children instead of minimum £32k now.One child benefits would end at earnings of about £16k instead of £26k now.

HOLA4420
On 25/02/2017 at 3:13 PM, Ash4781 said:

If someone publishes  the tax crecit and HB money that has gone to EUers since 2005ish then the UK welfare state is finished.

We should allow FOM - with the possbilkity of a minium wage.

No benefits - CB, HB, TCs.

Private health insurance and 5k per kid for education.

This is pretty what all the other EU countries do FFS.

Half of EE are not here for the weather FFS.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
5 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

'Large numbers of families placed in bed and breakfast accommodation in the boroughs of Croydon, Southwark and Sutton have run up arrears averaging £1,500 before being transferred by the authorities, leaving councils to foot a bill that under the old system would have been met by housing benefit.'

I would guess that the UK should not be paying or a large percentage of those fmailies in those areas.