House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Cut M Ps Salaries By 10%....

........every year for the next ten years. That would reduce their salaries to somewhere near the national average over the ten year period and make it less attractive for career politicians.

It makes a lot of sense because on the back of their past lack lustre performance why would they accept a pay rise if they weren't career politicians. By an mp accepting a pay rise by definition he or she confirms they're a career mp. An mp is like a centre forward for a premier league club that has never scored a goal but gets pay rise each year and never gets transferred to a more suitable team; the team then goes down a division because of him or her.

Focus also needs to be placed on the public sector is well, there is no way the whole shooting match is sustainable.

Focus also needs to be placed on the public sector is well, there is no way the whole shooting match is sustainable.

I have worked for the NHS for 32 years now, and never have we had a percentage rise of more than 3%. The last few years lack of pay rise has come to an end with a niggardly 1%. The MPs' rise in real terms represents 66% of my current [albeit part time] salary.:angry:

The only MPs who should get paid from the public purse are the people in cabinet. All other MPs should be paid for by their party IE from donations etc. The parties get millions per year...... why should a percentage of my taxes go to pay for ALL the parties i dont support?

Never mind the MPs, what about those thousands of councillors and 'CEOs' of public institutions getting paid ridiculous salaries?

Nobody in the public sector should be paid more than the PM.

Never mind the MPs, what about those thousands of councillors and 'CEOs' of public institutions getting paid ridiculous salaries?

Nobody in the public sector should be paid more than the PM.

You're arguing against yourself there. Top positions in public sector organisations need to be well paid to attract able managers, so that would mean a huge pay rise for the PM, a career politician who has never held a proper management position.

You're arguing against yourself there. Top positions in public sector organisations need to be well paid to attract able managers, so that would mean a huge pay rise for the PM, a career politician who has never held a proper management position.

Is there a lack of public sector management?

Had to smile, all the well known politicians were saying adamantly that they do not want a £10,000 pay rise....they are not interested in one, just goes to show how used they are to speaking what they want us to hear them saying while at the same time thinking something completely different........they only hope it gets passed and nobody will notice least we all forget till next time.

...if they do get their pay increase it will confirm that all the speak is only hot air and rhetoric, what they say is not what they do, then you wonder how much control they have over anything at all if they can't stop themselves getting paid more when so many are getting paid less. ;)

I think MPs should be :

1. Very well-paid. (say 150-200k GBP) and definitely from the public purse.

2. No expenses to be paid for anything at all.

3. Very well housed in purpose-built luxury accommodation in Westminster.

4. A lot fewer in number, say 300.

5. Only eligible to stand for election if they can demonstrate that they have had a significant successful career already.

6. Fired instantly with no payoffs for any proven breaches of integrity.

7. Have normal pensions, not the privileged setup they have now. (need motivation to address the pensions issue)

I think MPs should be :

5. Only eligible to stand for election if they can demonstrate that they have had a significant successful career already.

7. Have normal pensions, not the privileged setup they have now. (need motivation to address the pensions issue)

Reasonable apart from no 5......but the salary to be paid pro-rata.....against a normal full time job 40 hours a week 25 days holiday. ;)

Generally, I'm a fan of the idea of free markets.

Salaries are mostly governed by a free(ish) market: employees want to get as much as they can, employers want to get away with paying as little as they can, and some kind of balance is found without anyone having to set a rate (apart from the meddling that already takes place, e.g., minimum wage).

I'd be willing to bet that we'd still be able to find 600+ people who'd be willing to be MPs for no salary at all. This would seem to indicate that MP salaries are already substantially higher than they should be (or so the free market would seem to indicate).

Trouble is, zero salary would discourage ordinary candidates (those without other incomes or assets), so perhaps MPs' other income/assets should be measured, and their salaries topped up as necessary to an amount equivalent to, say, the average London salary (perhaps with a 50% markup to try to represent the idea that they may work long hours, such as 60 per week rather than 40). Let's say... £45k? (This is me guessing an average London salary of £30k.)

There would be if they had to work for £140,000 a year when they could get five or ten times that in the private sector.

Comparably few private sector managers are on more than 140K (outside London) and running a private sector business that has to compete with other private sector businesses requires different skills than running a not-for-profit public institution anyway.

While we are at it I would also support cutting pensions of those pensioners who clearly get a too large pension if they can afford to spend 3 months holidays in Spain in the winter and another 3 months holidays in France in the summer... :P

---

Comparably few private sector managers are on more than 140K (outside London) and running a private sector business that has to compete with other private sector businesses requires different skills than running a not-for-profit public institution anyway.

While we are at it I would also support cutting pensions of those pensioners who clearly get a too large pension if they can afford to spend 3 months holidays in Spain in the winter and another 3 months holidays in France in the summer... :P

---

Which doesn't include me as I don't receive a state pension....... yet.

Do you think it fair that those who, in your opinion, don't need the state pension they've paid for during their working lives should not receive it?

Which doesn't include me as I don't receive a state pension....... yet.

Do you think it fair that those who, in your opinion, don't need the state pension they've paid for during their working lives should not receive it?

I guess you missed the :P ! ;)

There would be if they had to work for £140,000 a year when they could get five or ten times that in the private sector.

The idea that public sector managers could command rockstar salaries in the private sector is a fiction.

I think MPs should be :

i think it would help if the UK introduced some of the most basic concepts of a democracy

i think it would help if the UK introduced some of the most basic concepts of a democracy

Well yes, that would be good, but not likely anytime soon because for some reason I am unable to fathom, a lot of people think it already is a democracy, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

The recent report apparently calls for higher regular pay, but lower pensions and allowances.

Bring it on!

The regular pay is taxable. Give them more of that and less in backhand wheezes, and their interests become better-aligned with hardworking people.

Well yes, that would be good, but not likely anytime soon because for some reason I am unable to fathom, a lot of people think it already is a democracy, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

God save the Queen, and her democratically elected Government! :unsure: